PDA

View Full Version : Terrible Memorial Day Weekend

ChrisK
05-28-2012, 12:52 PM
So there I was, minding my own business at the local sand bar, when a drunken idiot decided it was a good idea to get behind the wheel of his friend's boat. He was so drunk he proceeded to back the boat out, slam down the throttle, and plow into the back of my boat at about 20 mph. I had 4 people sitting in my boat, 3 of which were sitting on the ski locker in the back with their legs in the boat, thank God. The worst part of it was that the guy's 5 month pregnant girlfriend was sitting on the starboard gunwale right where the boats collided... she flew about 10 feet into 2 feet of water.

Because of the pregnant lady we called 911 immediately and got put through to a conservation officer. It was going to take the officer an hour and a half to get a boat and get to us so I just decided to tow the other boat across the river to a marina and meet the officer. The driver, needless to say, failed a field sobriety test with flying colors. He was arrested on two count of being under the influence and one of reckless driving.

The boat is pretty messed up, cracks, scrapes, and chips everywhere. The worst damage is a 3x3 inch scrape off the port stern corner of the cap, a 3 inch crack on the port side, and the rear tow eyelet got hit so hard it's pushed inward and there's no a "wave" in my transom's fiberglass.

Anybody on here have anything like this happen before? The other boat owner has Progressive Insurance. Anybody know of anywhere good I can take it for repairs in the Northern Illinois area?

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/chriskuecker/c36465b7.jpg

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/chriskuecker/fab8549b.jpg

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/chriskuecker/4564068d.jpg

mmandley
05-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Holy cheet man, glad everyone was ok, how did the pregnant GF trun out? Ok i hope? Not to much stress to the baby.

Man that boat hit you hard to do that kinds damage to an alumminum boat. Yours is pretty nast looking too now and you will have a huge repair bill. Good thing they have insurance.

jpetty3023
05-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Holy cow bro, did you not go to jail for whipping that dudes tail end into labor day. Much props to you for keeping your cool. Hopefully his insurance comes thru for you and your back on the water quick like. This is a classic example of why I avoid the lake on holidays, live to close and frequent the lake to much to have to get out on days like this.

Glad no one was injured, could have been a different story real easily. Good luck again.

Sent from my home phone..

ChrisK
05-28-2012, 02:17 PM
As far as I know the pregnant lady is fine, she was refusing to get checked out. My boat is still usable which is nice.

My usual thought process is to not let worrying about idiots affect the fun that I have. Worse things could have happened and after all, it's only a boat. Despite what happened, it was still a beautiful cruise back to my house that night.

wolfeman131
05-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Dang that sucks! Hope the repairs go smooth & quickly.

moombadaze
05-28-2012, 02:25 PM
HOLY CRAP, glad all are safe and sound especiall the pregnant one-that had to be scary.

rdlangston13
05-28-2012, 07:43 PM
that super sucks

motosno963
05-28-2012, 08:14 PM
best of luck with the repairs..im a little like you..theres a reason theres insurance on my stuff..if none of my friends got hurt i wont be tooo p'ed off..but again best of luck to you and your boat..maybe the insurance company will total it out for you and give you some money for it? haha i dont know

PatL
05-28-2012, 08:45 PM
Never fails to amaze me what people will do on the water...sucks man but glad everyone is OK. Best of luck with the repairs.

jmvotto
05-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Chris, glad everyone is ok. Especially the gf. What an idiot. Progressive is pretty decent should not have any problems. The driver on he other hand is in heap of trouble

Few years back at a restaurant on our lake twoto little girls went to get into there's parents boat boat as the adults talked to some friends after dinner
The girls got side tracked on the dock by some ducklings. A few hundred yards out. A guy was driving his older dd sitting sideways on the gunnel. Hit a wave fell in the water. Boat went straight into the restaurant area,riding right over and into the boat the two little girls were supposed to be waiting in.

Boats can be fixed and replaced lives not so much.

ULMboarder
05-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Chris, glad everyone is ok. Especially the gf. What an idiot. Progressive is pretty decent should not have any problems. The driver on he other hand is in heap of trouble

I work at a dealership and that totally has not been the case in our experience. They always want to go back with aftermarket (made in china) parts that never work properly and we would never even offer to a customer. They always lowball the price and in almost every case, they wouldnt cover everything and the customer would have to pay out of pocket to finish the repairs. We have gotten to the point that we try to run up everything for a customer so that progressive will actually cover all of the repairs like they are supposed to.

I hope thats not what your getting into but just wanted to warn you.

sandm
05-29-2012, 09:26 AM
sucks, but glad there were no casualties...

dusty2221
05-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Wow, thank goodness your peeps had all the legs in the boat and not hanging down! Keep us updated on how the repair goes. At least that gorgeous teak platform still looks great!

KG's Supra24
05-29-2012, 09:48 AM
That's aweful. Glad everyone is ok, though.

skylar18
05-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Holy cow bro, did you not go to jail for whipping that dudes tail end into labor day. Much props to you for keeping your cool. Hopefully his insurance comes thru for you and your back on the water quick like. This is a classic example of why I avoid the lake on holidays, live to close and frequent the lake to much to have to get out on days like this.

Glad no one was injured, could have been a different story real easily. Good luck again.

Sent from my home phone..

We are the same down here in Austin. Just isn't worth it getting on the lake for Memorial day or the 4th of July weekends. However, Thanksgiving is a fantastic weekend to get on the lake.

bergermaister
05-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Geeeeeeeez - scary stuff. Amen that no one was hurt. Nice job on handling it Chris - props to you on that and not rearranging the guy's front teeth with your knuckles.

I'd be curious on Progressive's approach covering someone else's damage. I can see them hassling their own customer on a claim, but this is for covering repairs on yours. Perhaps your insurance company can step in and be your advocate here.

ChrisK
05-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Yeah I'll report back on the experience I have with both insurance agencies, should be interesting.