PDA

View Full Version : Taking On Water??

T100
05-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Hey Guy's,
I finally put the boat in the water yesterday after summarizing it myself and all went well, some small leaks at the plastic manifold screw in connections to the rubber hosing (all four leaked):mad:. I tightened and all ok with them, I'll be watching those closely. My other concern is once underway my bilge pump was coming on, I seem to be taking on water. Where do you guy's think I should start investigating first?? What are your experiences with this? I haven't done any mod's with drilling throw the hull, same as last year.
Any help on where to start would be much appreciated.
Cheers with Beers:p

rdlangston13
05-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Under way I would guess prop shaft seal

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

mmandley
05-28-2012, 01:13 PM
I second the prop shaft packing, its an 04 so im expecting it needs to be tightened a little or replaced. Put the boat in gear, slowly idle and you can look threw the V drive locker at it while its spinning.

jester
05-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Did you pull out your impller? If so I would check the seal around that unless that is what you are talking about before hand. Also do you have a heater or shower? the last question is about how often was the pump comming on? AKA small leak or big leak?

T100
05-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the quite responses back guys, I'll start with the prop shaft seal with someone else driving while I take a look.
I'll research the site on how to do that.
I did not pull the impeller as I had it replaced last year and do not have a heater or shower. The pump is coming on every 5 to 10 minutes. Last year it rarely came on.
Thx.

bkearney
05-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the quite responses back guys, I'll start with the prop shaft seal with someone else driving while I take a look.
I'll research the site on how to do that.
I did not pull the impeller as I had it replaced last year and do not have a heater or shower. The pump is coming on every 5 to 10 minutes. Last year it rarely came on.
Thx.

I just finished the packing on a 2003 LSV. It was a PiTA. The suggestion which saved me was to use the Goretex. The 3/16 is a bit smaller in the goretex, and the edges are rounded.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=473868&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50366&subdeptNum=50420&classNum=50424

T100
07-04-2012, 12:51 PM
How The F do you get to the packing nut to tighten?? there is no way I could get two wrenches down there to tighten this weekend. Any tips? what do you have to remove??
Thx.

KSmith
07-04-2012, 01:54 PM
The main packing nut should only be hand tightened I thik and then the second nut tightened against it to prevent slippage. From what I have hear overtightening is bad. You may need to replace the packing rather than just trying to tighten the packing nut.

spyder
07-06-2012, 12:37 AM
I just finished the packing on a 2003 LSV. It was a PiTA. The suggestion which saved me was to use the Goretex. The 3/16 is a bit smaller in the goretex, and the edges are rounded.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=473868&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50366&subdeptNum=50420&classNum=50424

just replaced mine with the goretex and it doesn't leak at all anymore, i mean not even the expected drip.. is this bad? i didn't crank it super tight.. just 3 strips of the goretex.

KSmith
07-06-2012, 07:25 AM
just replaced mine with the goretex and it doesn't leak at all anymore, i mean not even the expected drip.. is this bad? i didn't crank it super tight.. just 3 strips of the goretex.

From what I've read they still want it to drip 2-3 times a minute when underway to provide cooling I think is what I read.

spyder
07-06-2012, 07:45 AM
maybe i'll just slightly back it off, but then the packing will be pushed down all the way.. not sure what to do :/

jmb
07-06-2012, 08:45 AM
The main packing nut should only be hand tightened I thik and then the second nut tightened against it to prevent slippage. From what I have hear overtightening is bad. You may need to replace the packing rather than just trying to tighten the packing nut.
I heard from somebody here with a Supra V Drive that he had to cut the handles most of the way off on Channel Locks to get on too the nut. Do not overtighten. Needs to drip a bit when in gear.

DOCDRS
07-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Why does it need to drip? Cooling? Just after the seal the shaft is in all kinds of water for cooling. Never leaked and never had an issue on my DD Outback. Seals on electric pump motors don't leak until they are failing, think of the heat generated on spa motors without issues. Just .02 for thought. I believe its no more than a drop every 30 secs

jmb
07-06-2012, 08:32 PM
I heard that if it didn't drip that the rope seal would burn up. I see your point and I am a maintenance man at a plant with all kinds of pumps. I don't think I am going to try and tighten it all the way down to the point it won't drip. I will wait for someone else to to that and let me know how that works out for them.