PDA

View Full Version : Addendum to Exile speakers locally

rsinger
05-27-2012, 06:53 PM
As I mentioned I was looking for a power cable that was on sale for $8, not the speakers.

First time I went down, the person said there weren't any left, and tried to sell me a $70, 1000 watt power cable set. I refused, and said I'd keep looking for what I wanted

I had to go by that way again for something else today. I gave them a call to ask if they had any of the sale items left. They told me they had about half a dozen. Go figure.

I went down and asked for one set. I got it and took a closer look. Turns out the power wires were 12 guage not 8 like in the ad. Again they tried to up sell me. Needless to say I'm not happy. So the guy pulls out 2 different sets. 1 for about 600 watts, and one for 300 watts (this has the 8 guage).

I ask what's the scoop with the false advertising. The sales guy, actually the manager, says that somewhere there is a disclaimer that the specs on some items would not be as marked. I'm thinking, what's the point of putting out a flyer if the information isn't correct? How can one compare.

I don't see any disclaimer on the flyer, and go to the front door and don't see anything there. I go back to the sales guy and tell him I'm expecting the kit with the 8 guage wire for the advertised price, and if I don't get it I'll take the add and go complain to the corporate office.

Now this is turning into a game for me, because it's only $8 dollars and if I spend a little time I could make up most of the stuff for around the same price. It's just a little more legwork for me.

He gives in with the 300 watt kit, and says he'll let it slide like he's doing me a favor.

As my oldest is an electrical engineer I quickly phone him and ask how much power is 12 and 8 guage rated for over a distance of about 6 feet.

http://www.rbeelectronics.com/wtable.htm

Based on the distance, I could have used the 10 guage. However there was a principal at stake, and I would have kept on bugging the guy till the store closed. It didn't take too much to twist his arm. Would have better if there were a bunch of customers there. I would have called them all over and asked if I was being reasonable.

p.s. I had a previous experience with the same company when a camcorder failed, and under the extended warranty, they tried to replace it with a cheaper model. It didn't have specific features that I bought the previous one for. Again I had to argue my point.

BUYER BEWARE. Always know your stuff before you go in to purchase.

All done venting.

jpetty3023
05-27-2012, 07:10 PM
glad it worked out for ya. im sort of a hustler like that myself. got the new nikon camera s9300 yesterday from walmart for 270.00 its priced at 299.99 but i found it on amazon for for the 270.00 and spoke with the manager in electronics and got it for that price. i always like it when the customer is right!!

wolfeman131
05-27-2012, 09:22 PM
I use my bar code scanner app at hhgregg all the time. Manager knows me by name. I simply scan an item there I want, all prices pull up and he beats lowest by 10% every time.

jpetty3023
05-27-2012, 09:26 PM
I use my bar code scanner app at hhgregg all the time. Manager knows me by name. I simply scan an item there I want, all prices pull up and he beats lowest by 10% every time.

Excuse my ignorance but what in the Sam Jeezus is hhgregg?

Sent from my home phone..

wolfeman131
05-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Big electronics/appliance store

http://www.hhgregg.com

jpetty3023
05-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Interesting. We don't have none of those here in the big TX, not that I know of anyways.

Sent from my home phone..