PDA

View Full Version : A Bad day on the lake

bkearney
05-27-2012, 05:29 PM
The claimed both plugs were in.

WaterBullDawg1980
05-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Wow. So they were that close to the ramp and they just let it sink??

jpetty3023
05-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Insurance scam!! Let it sink and get them a sweet Moomba maybe

Sent from my home phone..

wolfeman131
05-27-2012, 09:17 PM
At least they saved the cooler! I'm assuming it's full of beer.

Grant M
05-28-2012, 12:16 AM
The mother of a 29-year-old Edmonton man who is presumed drowned in Wabamun Lake cried out in anguish Sunday as police announced the search had become a recovery effort.

An RCMP Boston Whaler searched the water Sunday as Parkland Search and Rescue scoured the shoreline for any sign of the missing man, who was not wearing a life-jacket.

The search is concentrated near Point Alison on Wabamun Lake.

Police say three people riding on an inflatable, triple-seater tube were being pulled behind a speedboat Saturday afternoon when the trio were dumped into the lake.

Two of the people had to be hospitalized for hypothermia, said Sgt. Ian M. Gillan with Stony Plain RCMP, and the 29-year-old man never surfaced.

The two have since been released from hospital. None of the three were wearing wetsuits while tubing on the 5C lake, which was still iced up a few short weeks ago.

Gillan said the water can cause hypothermia in a matter of minutes.

Hitting the water at extreme speeds when being pulled behind a boat is likely to leave people winded, Gillan said Saturday. He wants to remind people that a life-jacket is always necessary when enjoying water sports.

"You can be an Olympic swimmer, but when you hit the water at 30 or 40 miles an hour, you can easily be in a situation where you can't save yourself," Gillan said, "That's why if you're doing a water sport, you need to wear a life-jacket."

Drugs and alcohol were not factors in the incident and no charges are being contemplated at this time. The recovery effort will continue Monday.

In the meantime, RCMP have suspended the recovery effort for two men — also not wearing life-jackets — who went missing on Coal Lake last week.

Camrose residents Everett Westerneng, 19, and Dallas Simons, 26, didn't return home after setting out on a fishing trip May 18.

bkearney
05-29-2012, 08:07 AM
Wow. So they were that close to the ramp and they just let it sink??

The got it to the doc, and the husband wento to get the trailer. Good reason to have your kids and spouse able to do all parts of the boating, trailering, docking process.

The sherriff said the best idea would have been to beach it. I assume even with an inboard where you may bend the shaft, that would be better than having the whole thing under water.

KG's Supra24
05-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Local lake here ...

Family members have identified to KARK the victim in the deadly accident on DeGray Lake.
They say 31-year-old Rebecca Ramos of Hampton was being pulled on an inter-tube Saturday afternoon, fell off and was hit and killed by another boat.
Furthermore, authorities tell KARK it was Ramos' husband driving the boat that hit her.
Authorities say they still view this as simply an accident, but they are still investigating.

NCSUmoomba
05-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Wow! That first pic is the ramp I use all the time at Falls Lake! I hate I missed it.

tarheelskier
05-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Yep NCSU, good ole Bartons Creek. You never know what you will see at this ramp.

bkearney
05-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Yep NCSU, good ole Bartons Creek. You never know what you will see at this ramp.

Cheaper and more exicting then the route 50 ramp!

tarheelskier
05-29-2012, 10:53 AM
I know, this is the only one I use on Falls, but we try to get out early to avoid the fireworks!

Speaking of this ramp, with the new Moomba, (much heavier than my old one) I have had trouble getting up the ramp. Have a 2008 Ford Expedition, plenty of tow capacity, but only 2 wheel drive. That seems to be the issue, as the rear wheel drive is slipping on the wet ramp. The ramp is asphalt, not concrete, and I try to just take it slow, but the wet ramp has been tough to navigate. Any thoughts out there guys? You can see the steepness of the ramp in this pic of the sinking boat! :p

Thanks!

parrothd
05-29-2012, 11:18 AM
I know, this is the only one I use on Falls, but we try to get out early to avoid the fireworks!

Speaking of this ramp, with the new Moomba, (much heavier than my old one) I have had trouble getting up the ramp. Have a 2008 Ford Expedition, plenty of tow capacity, but only 2 wheel drive. That seems to be the issue, as the rear wheel drive is slipping on the wet ramp. The ramp is asphalt, not concrete, and I try to just take it slow, but the wet ramp has been tough to navigate. Any thoughts out there guys? You can see the steepness of the ramp in this pic of the sinking boat! :p

Thanks!

One or both wheels spinning? Maybe you need a locking diff... :)

Ian Brantford
05-29-2012, 11:58 AM

Speaking of this ramp, with the new Moomba, (much heavier than my old one) I have had trouble getting up the ramp. Have a 2008 Ford Expedition, plenty of tow capacity, but only 2 wheel drive. That seems to be the issue, as the rear wheel drive is slipping on the wet ramp. The ramp is asphalt, not concrete, and I try to just take it slow, but the wet ramp has been tough to navigate. Any thoughts out there guys?
Thanks!

Yes. With so much weight, you are going to need RWD to get the boat up the ramp and FWD to get the truck up. You need 4WD, preferably with locking rear differential. What you have right now is one axle trying to move two heavy vehicles up a slippery slope. If that axle has an open diff, it's only the tire with the least traction that's even trying to move.

For the moment, you can try traction aids, but anything that's particle-based (kitty litter, sand, gravel) will pelt your boat when the wheel spins again. Is this a commercial marina? Maybe they've got a tractor or other item for hire.

You have a good tow vehicle. You have justification to acquire new tow/launch vehicle. A pick-up truck or SUV without 4WD is like a submarine with a screen door for a hatch. Sure, you can drive it around in good conditions, but you are missing a great deal of the potential functionality. If you have the means, enjoy your shopping experience. :-)

Then you'll be ready when someone invites you to a cottage (with your boat), you ask about the local launch, and he says that it's "fine". You get there and it turns out that he launched a small aluminum fishing boat there in 1976 and now it's just a muddy shoreline.

rc5695
05-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Wow... I cannot imagine what this guy is going to have to live with :(

Local lake here ...

Family members have identified to KARK the victim in the deadly accident on DeGray Lake.
They say 31-year-old Rebecca Ramos of Hampton was being pulled on an inter-tube Saturday afternoon, fell off and was hit and killed by another boat.
Furthermore, authorities tell KARK it was Ramos' husband driving the boat that hit her.
Authorities say they still view this as simply an accident, but they are still investigating.

harmsway
05-29-2012, 02:41 PM

Thanks!

I have an '01 F150 2wd that I tow with and we put in at Ebenenzer at Jordan Lake. The ramp is extemely steep and it is concrete, but the surface is worn down so the pebbles are showing which makes the surface slick. I have noticed if I drop the air pressure down from 32 psi (which is recommended in rear tire) to 28-29 psi it makes a huge difference in being able to pull the boat up the ramp with out spinning. Just something you might try.

tarheelskier
05-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Harmsway, thanks for the tip. This ramp is pebbly too (from all us 2WD guys spinning :)). Do you just lower the pressure in the rear only? I will give this a try, its only about a 3 minute drive to my house.

harmsway
05-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Harmsway, thanks for the tip. This ramp is pebbly too (from all us 2WD guys spinning :)). Do you just lower the pressure in the rear only? I will give this a try, its only about a 3 minute drive to my house.

My truck calls for 29 psi front & 32 psi rear, I usually just run 28-29 psi front & rear and it seems to help but you still have to pull her up the ramp slowly. If I pull the camper or if I take the truck on a long trip I'll bump them back up to the correct pressure.

patrick232
05-30-2012, 08:34 AM
If there is room to angle the truck so your pulling up the ramp sidways it will help. I learned this trck after being pulled out of the ramp in my 2 wheel drive Dakota.

NCSUmoomba
05-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Jeff, I used to have this issue sometimes. The quick and easy fix is to get folks in the boat to pile into the bow seat. This puts more weight on the tow vehicle's rear wheels and reduces slippage.

tarheelskier
05-30-2012, 09:23 AM
Thanks Brian, first few times on this ramp we slipped, but nothing major. This past time seemed like nothing was going to work. Only wife and 2 kids on boat, so not a lot of weight. They got in bow, and dude in next lane jumped on the tongue and eventually got it up. Really only took a couple of minutes, but nerve wracking, nonetheless.

Patrick, no real room to angle on these ramps, but i have heard that helps.

Thanks guys for all the ideas, let me know if there are any others (short of 4WD, don't see that in my future right now)

dusty2221
05-30-2012, 09:26 AM
Maybe swing by Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a few 50 pound bags of playsand? 4 or 5 of them at the rear of the truck bed would get some more weight on the rear end. It usually doesn't take much, that equals a large man standing on the tongue.

bzubke1
05-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Have whoever is in the boat give it some gas but cut it off as soon as you get out of the water. We've done this a bunch of times with a friend who has a 2wd truck. It takes the weight of the boat out of the equation and actually pushes the truck a little bit.