PDA

View Full Version : Rear Locker shocks

morgan040
05-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Where can I get new shocks that hold the rear compartments open. I have on 06 Outback V. I dont even know what these things are called. So kind of hard to do a decent search. I keep finding stuff for automotive suspention!! LOL

Razzman
05-27-2012, 07:36 PM
That's because they are called struts, not shocks. Search for hatch struts or lift struts. The problem your going to have is you have to have the exact duplicate of what you have or one of many things will happen; to long (hatch will over-open), too short (hatch will under-open), too strong (will be hard to open or rip out of socket) and finally under-strength (hatch will not stay open). I hate to say it unless you know all the parameters you're better off ordering them from the dealer.

mnpracing
05-27-2012, 07:48 PM
That's because they are called struts, not shocks. Search for hatch struts or lift struts. The problem your going to have is you have to have the exact duplicate of what you have or one of many things will happen; to long (hatch will over-open), too short (hatch will under-open), too strong (will be hard to open or rip out of socket) and finally under-strength (hatch will not stay open). I hate to say it unless you know all the parameters you're better off ordering them from the dealer.

For a fraction of the dealer price, head on down to your local auto parts store, bring one of the struts from your boat, and match the length. They'll have different pound-ratings. I think for my '06 OBV I went with a 35 or 40 lb strut that was 1/2" to 1" longer (on my OBV the struts seemed like they were too short, and wouldn't hold the hatch open very well). If the one you buy doesn't do what you want, exchange them for a higher rating/length/etc. I think I went back a couple of times to find ones that would hold the hatches open well.

tnbrooks01
05-27-2012, 07:56 PM
I found an exact replacement at a local RV dealer. There are many things in RV's that use those struts.

moombacraze
05-28-2012, 12:17 AM
I ordered the exact replacements from iBoats.com. The brand was "Spring Lift" if I remember right.