PDA

View Full Version : Buffing small scratches in gelcoat...how do you go about it?

Brando86
05-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Since this is my first boat that is entirely covered in a colored gelcoat, i'm quickly finding that every little scratch shows up just to stress me out:p There are no bad scratches in the gel (nothing I can even feel running my fingers across the marks), with the exception of a few that will take a good buffing on the transom from wakeboards literally just touching the boat. I've been using meguires polishing compound, which seems to work well, but I was hoping you guys maybe had a few other suggestions? I definitely do not need to wetsand anything...this is more of am upkeep thing rather than a problem thing:)

wolfeman131
05-27-2012, 02:14 PM
I suggest beer. Drink 1 or 2 from in the boat. You won't be able to see the scratches and when you're on the water having some nectar of the Gods, nothing much should bother you.

motosno963
05-28-2012, 08:22 PM
^^ true story

usaski1
05-29-2012, 01:07 PM
now for a real answer....

You can use a drill with a car buffer, or purchase a car buffer at walmart. you can use a bit of compound on it, but be careful, its like sandpaper. you will have to rewax that area as it will go through the wax that's on it. when you see a little bit if your boats color on your pad, you know you've gone far enough. Some may say that's too far. Whenever you buff a scratch out, you are actually removing part of your boat, so I don't do it often. Right before you sell it, and maybe a real eyesore scratch are good times to do it.

hans
06-29-2012, 11:36 PM
I have some rocks scratches on the gel coat that are too deep to be just buffed. Is it possible to fix those scratches perfectly or it is not possible with gelcoat? I will probably buy a trailer tux next years....somebody got one?....