PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a 2012 XLV or LSV

wvidal
05-27-2012, 12:40 AM
I am looking for a new boat. Two that I am considering are the XlV and the LSV. I wanted to find out if any current owners could give me the Pros and Cons of either or both. I plan to drive and ride behind both next week. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Boonejeepin
05-27-2012, 01:04 AM
I have only been on an LSV once and it was very nice. The wakeboard wake seemed to be clean and easy to get that way.

I love my XLV. The weighted wakeboard wake seems to be a bit sensitive and I have found that the easy setup of no ballast makes a pretty decent wake. I love the storage and the extra space makes a long day comfortable. My girls love the playpen bow configuration.

My XLV has a surf wave that I like but I have to run quite a bit of weight although the freeboard is high and I don't take on rollers unless I do something stupid.

Down fall of the XLV for me is that I can't fit in my 7' garage door but I have a 2010 with the rad a cage. I think the new tower is different but I am not sure what the clearance would be like.

wvidal
05-27-2012, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the input

I have only been on an LSV once and it was very nice. The wakeboard wake seemed to be clean and easy to get that way.

I love my XLV. The weighted wakeboard wake seems to be a bit sensitive and I have found that the easy setup of no ballast makes a pretty decent wake. I love the storage and the extra space makes a long day comfortable. My girls love the playpen bow configuration.

My XLV has a surf wave that I like but I have to run quite a bit of weight although the freeboard is high and I don't take on rollers unless I do something stupid.

Down fall of the XLV for me is that I can't fit in my 7' garage door but I have a 2010 with the rad a cage. I think the new tower is different but I am not sure what the clearance would be like.

deafgoose
05-27-2012, 01:50 AM
Biggest downfall with the XLV is a clean wake at low speeds. Not the ideal boat for beginners, that's for sure.

The LSV is more versatile IMO.

jmvotto
05-27-2012, 07:31 AM
I went from the obv the last four years to a 2012 xlv. Love the boat. As boonejeepin stated love the extra freeboard and the storage and interior room. Have yet to board or surf on it , just got to 14 hrs into the break in.. Get the 345 surf engine with an acme 1235 prop , they both are beasts...you will have to upgrade ballast bags In either boat if you want to surf.with the xlv you really shouldnt loose under seat storage with the upgraded bags. I have two 750's, and an 1180 in the basement center locker.
If you store in your garage then that will have to be a consideration.

Here is a pic of the wake at 21 mph wake plate 1/2 up , no ballast, in some chop.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh254/jmvotto/IMAG0244-5.jpg

wolfeman131
05-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Go with a Mojo. IMO, best of both boats you are considering. Big and roomy like the XLV, sweet/easy setup forwakeboard & surf wave.

That said, MANY folks would simply love to be in your position of deciding between boats! You can't go wrong either way.

jmvotto
05-27-2012, 07:42 AM
Hey nobody asked about. Mojo......:D

Let the man choose....

wolfeman131
05-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Options. Life is all about options. :)

rdlangston13
05-27-2012, 08:28 AM
mojo has an ugly helm area, get the XLV, I would love to have the extra room and freeboard, IMO they need to do an XLV hull redesign to make the wake less sensitive but retain the size and styling...

wolfeman131
05-27-2012, 09:54 AM
mojo has an ugly helm area, get the XLV, I would love to have the extra room and freeboard, IMO they need to do an XLV hull redesign to make the wake less sensitive but retain the size and styling...

Hey, now David. . .

Thats my new girl you're talking about. Have you sat in a production boat? We love how big the glove box is for all the ipods, sunglasses, etc. I like having the gauge cluster vs individual ones. Its real easy to scan & see all is good.

Boonejeepin
05-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Playing around this year I have found that you can get a clean wakeboard wake at 19 - 20 if NOT running extra weight and you have calming water.

The surf wave face is clean even with the old school swim platform.

jmvotto
05-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Boone , that's a real long wave you got there. It goes waaaayyyy back.
Can't wait to surf mine.

wolfeman131
05-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Can't wait to surf mine.

Get out this afternoon & DO IT!

Boonejeepin
05-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Get out this afternoon & DO IT!

And take pics!!!! :)

jmvotto
05-27-2012, 09:33 PM
No spotters today maybe tomorrow. Three yr old won't cut it with the po po.

Plus lake house chores I avoided with our six hour booze Cruz yesterday .... Lol

bergermaister
05-29-2012, 03:43 PM
wvidal - how big is your average crew going out? That can make a big difference having a bigger boat for more people and gear and not feeling crowded.

Also, depending on your ability levels, if you are more advanced you're going to be loading up either boat with a bunch of weight. That said, I'd rather have a bigger boat. Mine, although different, is a 22ft and I have yet to wish it were smaller...

The added storage and playpen front are hard to beat.

Salyers
05-29-2012, 04:56 PM
I didn't like the pictures of the Mojo dash when I first saw them online. Looks much better in person and talk about roomy feel. Freeboard is awesome. Get hands on with one before you make your decision. Best boat in the fleet in my biased opinion. I have been in all three boats mentioned though. Good luck with your choice!

patrick232
05-30-2012, 08:48 AM
We had a 2007 XLV for 3 years and sold in 2010.
Pro's
Freeboard and space under the seats
Forward and rear flip up seats
Playpen with HUGE storage under
Con's
With weight wallowed like a pig
Hit head on bimini from playpen
Did not fit in garage
Wake weight senitive

Now we have a 2006 LSV, bought Jan 2012
Pro's
Fitting in garage
Easy to tow and clean
Larger rear lockers than XLV
Less weight to surf
Con's
No Playpen or storage under
Storage under seats shorter, need to make new boxes
Have to watch rollers more.

Both boats have there pro's and con's. To us our boating needs have changed and will be boating more on a local river with a length limit of 22 feet and I pushed it for three years. One thing that helped in deciding on a 21 foot boat was using a 210 SA and a Malibu VLX during the summer of 2011.

rdlangston13
05-31-2012, 09:45 AM
Hey, now David. . .

Thats my new girl you're talking about. Have you sat in a production boat? We love how big the glove box is for all the ipods, sunglasses, etc. I like having the gauge cluster vs individual ones. Its real easy to scan & see all is good.

I am a HUGE fan of the bigger glove box, just not the helm area. And yes i saw one at rinkers, just wish they would put my LSV dash over there but make room for more switches so I can have a switch for all the ballast plus 1 for an IBS and aux switches all on the dash. I know the Mojo has the switches on the dash but it needs the look of the LSV, XLV dash along with the switches. that would be perfect

jmvotto
05-31-2012, 09:51 AM
still cant get over the rear seat issue on the mojo and the 12 lsv, just looks unfinished

rdlangston13
05-31-2012, 10:23 AM
still cant get over the rear seat issue on the mojo and the 12 lsv, just looks unfinished

i kind of like that cause i can stuff my flip flops up in there now

jmvotto
05-31-2012, 10:32 AM
thats what the useless cooler is for. flip flops, etc.

rdlangston13
05-31-2012, 10:49 AM
thats what the useless cooler is for. flip flops, etc.

that's our trash can / dry food storage haha

mcdye
05-31-2012, 11:27 AM

ditto... trash can.. :)

wolfeman131
05-31-2012, 11:45 AM

I, too, wasn't a big fan. Maybe not the greatest look, but the functionality is fantastic! We stuff flip flops & life jackets in that void for quick access.

E4NASH
05-31-2012, 01:51 PM

Same here...the wife won't let me cut it out and put ballast in there. I see her point because it does do a good job as a chip/snack holder.

We stuff flip flops in the area between the side and the driver's seat. Works pretty well...

Salyers
05-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Yep. Looks of back bench 7/10. I personally like the utility/rough look of it. Functionality is 9/10! Love that storage space!

bergermaister
05-31-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm always surprised to hear of so many cooler complaints. Mine actually works fairly well. Are the newer ones just a liner or are they covered in a spray foam on the outside for extra insulation?

My seats are so low that even if I cut it out I wouldn't gain much for adding ballast either.

jmvotto
05-31-2012, 03:37 PM
The xlv cooler is small due to the heater but it worked well, but the drain does not work, the drain in my OBV came from the factory and did not drain either.. ???? i guess it could be worse.... two new boats in 5 fives two coolers that wont drain. LOL

ooh ithink someone mentioned the playpen, i damn near knocked myself out wearing a hat and walking from the bow into the cabin, that V2 is solid.....:eek:

Boonejeepin
05-31-2012, 04:05 PM
I don't think my cooler is insulated. Holds ice for an hour in a 70 degree day.

bergermaister
05-31-2012, 04:48 PM
Dang.... that sucks. I'll ice up in the morning - 80-90 degree day, still have a few chunks or layer left that night. Sometimes even to the next morning. And it drains - bonus!

Maybe putting the HEATER right next to the COOLER was not such a great idea...

Ian Brantford
05-31-2012, 05:08 PM
In my XLV, the cooler is pretty much useless because some bilge water eventually flows into it and craps it up. I suppose that I could add in a liner to cover up that fact and use it for trash or sandals. Hm.. sandals might be the way to go, since the last couple of people coming on board always have to ask the person on the starboard lounge seat to move for sandal stowage.

One thing that I like about the XLV seating arrangement is that a section of the port bench comes up and you can use it as a seatback for the stadium seat, facing the stern. That's the best spot to sit, watching a rider! In the void where the removeable seat goes the bigger cooler. The cooler is a standard marine Igloo model, so there is no need to pay Moomba's inflated price for it. I ignored this cooler for the first season, thinking that I wasted some money, but now we use it all the time and think that it's very convenient. No more dragging a medium-large cooler out of the observer storage or losing floor space!

Salyers
05-31-2012, 05:25 PM
The Mojo has the spray insulation and a drain plug for cooler. My cooler keeps Ice till the evening. I usually have to scoop Ice out before i put the cover on it. Cooler drain works well. I pull the plug on the ramp and then by the time I trailer home its pretty much empty. I just use a towel to sponge up the 1/2cup of water thats left. LS didn't have a cooler so I actually think its great! No cooler taking up floor space!

wolfeman131
05-31-2012, 05:30 PM
and the cooler in the Mojo is HUGE! Probably hold 48 cans. Hmmmm . . . I see an experiment for the Sinclair Jam.

Salyers
05-31-2012, 05:38 PM
Oh yes. I had a case of the 20oz Dasini waters. 10 Capri Suns (For my niece and nephew...and some for me too). 6 of the 20oz Monsters. A Large tuperware container of watermelon and a small one of straw berries. 2 large bags of ice and there was still alot of room. I am pretty sure we could have put another case of water or other beverage without any issues! Crazy big cooler!

wolfeman131
05-31-2012, 05:41 PM
my 4 yr old son has crawled inside and pulled the seat back on top of himself.

Salyers
05-31-2012, 05:58 PM
I was going to say you could hide a body in there:) Or smuggle some illegals!

jmvotto
05-31-2012, 09:56 PM
my 4 yr old son has crawled inside and pulled the seat back on top of himself.

Drew, I thought you were loosing the cooler in favor of ballast.

wolfeman131
05-31-2012, 10:00 PM
Drew, I thought you were loosing the cooler in favor of ballast.

On the OBV I was going to cut out the cooler as it was on the port side and we all ride regular. On the Mojo, the cooler is under the seat behind the driver's seat, so I think we're keeping it intact. Besides, beer = ballast.

jmvotto
05-31-2012, 10:04 PM
On the OBV I was going to cut out the cooler as it was on the port side and we all ride regular. On the Mojo, the cooler is under the seat behind the driver's seat, so I think we're keeping it intact. Besides, beer = ballast.

So you've got a clear shot under the seats for the 370 bag. Nice.....

freshturk
05-31-2012, 10:22 PM
Cooler on my LSV works awesome, keeps ice all day. It didnt come with a plug so we took a wine stopper that gets fatter when the lever is turned and it works like a charm.

wolfeman131
05-31-2012, 10:48 PM
So you've got a clear shot under the seats for the 370 bag. Nice.....

Filled with air while sitting on the lift.

1,100 in the rear

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/photobucket-2420-1338518094630.jpg

370 under port seat

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/photobucket-4560-1338518695050.jpg

jmvotto
05-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Filled with air while sitting on the lift.

1,100 in the rear

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/photobucket-2420-1338518094630.jpg

370 under port seat

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/photobucket-4560-1338518695050.jpg

Gotta love that Brittany blue, even the bags and the suction coozies to boot.....:mrgreen:

wolfeman131
05-31-2012, 10:54 PM
It's a stupid result of my OCD as it extends to the dock lines, tow ropes, vests, tubes, seadoo, board shorts, etc.

jmvotto
05-31-2012, 11:00 PM
I know what you mean, I was upset the 1180 fly high only came in grey, I really wanted black...

patrick232
06-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Cooler on my LSV works awesome, keeps ice all day. It didnt come with a plug so we took a wine stopper that gets fatter when the lever is turned and it works like a charm.

LSV Cooler is better than the XLV cooler.