PDA

View Full Version : Moomba digital cruise

TL7
05-27-2012, 12:22 AM
Recently got the digital cruise module (thanks to Cynde at Atlanta Marine for helping me out while I was out of the country). Finally got around to installing it yesterday. Other than upgrading ballast sacs, it was probably the easiest upgrade/install I've done yet. Simply remove two screws, remove and unplug the old module, install and plug in the new module, and tighten the screws back up. Turned the ignition on and voila.

Made it to the water today and man this is such an easier (and more accurate) setup than the standard EZ Cruise. Simply input the speed you want to go and hit the throttle. Adjusting underway is so much easier and precise than the old one. Also, no more worrying about turning the boat on and off and having to reset it every time. I just came in from messing with it in the driveway, and found out once setup, it will show the percentage of how full each ballast sac (L, C, R) is. I think it simply calculates the GPH x how long the pumps run. Found this when looking for the calibration screen. I need to adjust as it's reading 2 mph slower than my speedo (and handheld gps). Other than that it worked flawless today.

I'm not bashing the standard cruise, because I've used it since 2007 with two different boats and never complained about it. Coming from and I/O back then, having cruise period was the bomb. It's always done it's job and done it well from us. Recently I caught the upgrade bug and speed control is what I was looking at. Perfect Pass is apparently no longer compatible with Indmar engines post 2008, so Zero Off was my option. After quite a bit of research and a few calls to Skier's Choice to verify that Perfect Pass wasn't an option, I decided to go with Digital Cruise since it was a simple plug and play, and should I decide to go to Zero Off in the future it's a simple upgrade from Digital Cruise. Plus the full out Zero Off was about double the cost of Digital.

So if anyone is looking to upgrade their standard cruise to digital cruise, you won't be disappointed. As a side bar, if anyone needs the standard cruise module let me know and we can work something out. I assume you'd have to get the other half of the wiring that goes from the module to the engine, or maybe it's already prewired. Just see if there is a 6 prong connecter under the dash that matches the pictures I've attached. I also attached a pic of the new cruise, but I promise it's not crooked. The sunlight and glare makes it look like I was drunk when I installed it (only half true :D)

Happy Memorial Day (weekend) to all. Be safe and have fun!

rdlangston13
05-27-2012, 08:35 AM
Taft, where did you find the model compatibility of the zero off? I am torn between PP and zero off and I know PP works on my 08 LSV but not sure about zero off. PP may be my only option.

tnbrooks01
05-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Taft, where did you find the model compatibility of the zero off? I am torn between PP and zero off and I know PP works on my 08 LSV but not sure about zero off. PP may be my only option.

With your boat being a 2008 it appears you could go either ZO or PP. The cutoff for ZO is nothing before 2007 and no PP after 2009 based on mechanical or electronic controlled.

zero-off faqs
http://www.zerogps.com/about-us/faqs/

Perfect Pass PR
http://www.planetnautique.com/CorrectCraftManuals/pr/PPPR.pdf

TL7
05-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Best thing to do would be call the guys at skiers choice. I got so many different suggestions and advice that I was pretty confused. The guys at SC clarified and told me exactly what I could and couldn't do. It has everything to do with the engine's computer from what I'm told. If I really wanted PP I could've had the PCM flashed to accept the new software, but that seemed like a PITA and something that could lead to other problems down the road, at least in my mind.

rdlangston13
05-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Ok, sounds good. Anyone care to explain the difference between the two and why one would be "better" than the other?
I looked on the ZO website underproducts and they dont have anything listed for specific boat models, that being said I dont want a extra 3.5" gauage randomly mounted somewhere, whatever I get I would want it to take the place of my moomba cruise controls and look factory.

Taft, how was italy??

TL7
05-27-2012, 05:15 PM
That's one reason I went with digital cruise. Replaced the ez cruise and filled the factory space, and left my speedo and rpm in place. The perfect pass had a moomba specific gauge that I liked, whereas zero off was a generic gauge.

Italy was awesome. Rome was cool for the Vatican and Colosseum, but we had the most fun when we drove out to the Amalfi coast. Sorrento and Positano was about as picturesque as it gets. Coming back to work was really a kick in the nads. And they really need to work on bringing back high speed jets. 14 hours on a plane almost voids any upside to vacations.

jstenger
05-30-2012, 06:59 PM
This sounds like an upgrade I would like to do. May I ask the cost? A part number would be great also. Thanks.

Dubwake21
05-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Also check out this thread: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?13576-digital-cruise-pro-vs-perfect-pass-star-gazer

Am interested as well? Any chance for a group buy?

TL7
05-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Total cost including shipping was around 770. I had the part number written down from SC but can't find it anymore. Cynde with Atlanta Marine or your dealer should know exactly what you need.

rdlangston13
05-31-2012, 08:45 AM
Total cost including shipping was around 770. I had the part number written down from SC but can't find it anymore. Cynde with Atlanta Marine or your dealer should know exactly what you need.

i am really trying to get away from the paddle wheel setup, not sure if it is just my speedo gauage or what but every time my base hits hard on my sub the speedo goes crazy... dont really want that screwing up my speed control

KSmith
05-31-2012, 10:55 AM
I am really looking hard at this upgrade. It's just make life a bit easier on my wife when she is driving. Heck it'd make my driving life a little bit easier too I guess.

TL7
05-31-2012, 10:59 AM
I was amazed at not only how well it works, but how simple it is.

rdlangston13
05-31-2012, 11:55 AM
thats our main reason for PP. my girl doesnt like to set the cruise so i will get to speed, set it, then leave the engine on while i get ready to board. PITA

wolfeman131
05-31-2012, 12:03 PM
I am really looking hard at this upgrade. It's just make life a bit easier on my wife when she is driving. Heck it'd make my driving life a little bit easier too I guess.

BINGO!

Easier boating life for the wife makes life better for everyone!

Dubwake21
05-31-2012, 01:08 PM
Happy Wife, Happy Life.

PatL
05-31-2012, 01:16 PM
I upgraded to Star Gazer Perfect Pass from simple perfect pass cruise this past year. From what I can tell the simple perfect pass system is very similar in function to the pre digitial Moomba Cruise. Personally for wakeboarding or surfing I think the Perfect Pass works great. In the slalom course it is a little sketchy if you are using timing magnets and all (it has a tendency to reset at the ends of the course). I believe Zero Off to be a little more reliable on that specific function. I unlike the 2008 owners only had the perfect pass option. All things considered I would go Zero Off since that product is supported going forward and Perfect Pass is a purely after market system at this point.

rdlangston13
05-31-2012, 02:22 PM
I upgraded to Star Gazer Perfect Pass from simple perfect pass cruise this past year. From what I can tell the simple perfect pass system is very similar in function to the pre digitial Moomba Cruise. Personally for wakeboarding or surfing I think the Perfect Pass works great. In the slalom course it is a little sketchy if you are using timing magnets and all (it has a tendency to reset at the ends of the course). I believe Zero Off to be a little more reliable on that specific function. I unlike the 2008 owners only had the perfect pass option. All things considered I would go Zero Off since that product is supported going forward and Perfect Pass is a purely after market system at this point.

i have a 2008 and i just got an email from ZO telling me it is not supported on 2008 models and that i should go PP

PatL
05-31-2012, 02:36 PM
Dont think you will be disappointed with Perfect Pass...I really like it except for the slalom course issues but we manage those pretty well. I would say though that the Moomba digital cruise is going to integrate a lot better into your newer dash. My 2005 has the twin 3.5" speedos and tach. Adding a Moomba faced perfect pass gauge and removing the right hand speedo looks pretty good. (I'll snap a pic of it tonight). I believe to put perfect pass on the 2008 u would be replacing the single speedo with a 5" guage. They can match it up pretty nice but wont look as good as the install at the beginning of this thread. Just something to think about...

rdlangston13
05-31-2012, 02:57 PM
Dont think you will be disappointed with Perfect Pass...I really like it except for the slalom course issues but we manage those pretty well. I would say though that the Moomba digital cruise is going to integrate a lot better into your newer dash. My 2005 has the twin 3.5" speedos and tach. Adding a Moomba faced perfect pass gauge and removing the right hand speedo looks pretty good. (I'll snap a pic of it tonight). I believe to put perfect pass on the 2008 u would be replacing the single speedo with a 5" guage. They can match it up pretty nice but wont look as good as the install at the beginning of this thread. Just something to think about...

that makes me wonder what it looked like if you got it as a factory option. i thought it would be some kind of module that replaced my moomba cruise switches.

my main issue with going with digital cruise is my speedo goes crazy often. i dont want this affecting the cruise speed. if i touch the knob to adjust my speedo it shoots to like 50 mph. is this normal or is mine messed up??

PatL
05-31-2012, 04:55 PM
I havent seen the factory Zero Off install but I would assume it looks like many of the other manufacturers who replace the speedo with the Zero Off gauge. Also I'm pretty sure that would resolve whatever problem you are having with the speedometer because the paddle wheel is not in play anymore. Zero Off works off GPS like Perfect Pass Star Gazer. Might be worth a question to the Zero Off guys to see what the gauge options are...Maybe they have a replace that fits in the digital cruise spot on a Moomba. If they do I've not seen it before...Anyone out there have a Zero Off factory install they can share a pic of?

wolfeman131
05-31-2012, 05:22 PM
i thought it would be some kind of module that replaced my moomba cruise switches.

my main issue with going with digital cruise is my speedo goes crazy often. i dont want this affecting the cruise speed. if i touch the knob to adjust my speedo it shoots to like 50 mph. is this normal or is mine messed up??

David - the PP display does fit right in that triangluar spot where the cruise is today. Takes 1 screw. Simple. Someone just posted a pic of their install. You plug in & mount the control module under the dash and put some sort of plug into and engine control. I'm telling you - SIMPLE. Took all of 30 min. Improved our boating life more than I can say.

Yes, your speedo is whacky. The PP is fed from the paddle wheel, so I don't think you will have issues with the PP unless your speedo issues are from a bad paddle wheel pickup.

PatL
05-31-2012, 06:09 PM
David - i snapped a couple quick pics of the install on my dash. 1st pic is a closeup of the PP display. System is off but connected to the ignition loop so powers up when you turn the key on. It provides speedo, rpm, and water temp data (water temp is the only connection I have to the old paddle wheel) when system is off. Anyway gives you a sense of what it would look like if you had to go with a round 5" replacement for the Speedo. From Wolfemans posts sounds like you may not have to.1465414655

rdlangston13
05-31-2012, 08:29 PM
David - the PP display does fit right in that triangluar spot where the cruise is today. Takes 1 screw. Simple. Someone just posted a pic of their install. You plug in & mount the control module under the dash and put some sort of plug into and engine control. I'm telling you - SIMPLE. Took all of 30 min. Improved our boating life more than I can say.

Yes, your speedo is whacky. The PP is fed from the paddle wheel, so I don't think you will have issues with the PP unless your speedo issues are from a bad paddle wheel pickup.

i would go with the gps based system if i did PP. any idea where pictures from that thread are??

wolfeman131
05-31-2012, 08:36 PM
i would go with the gps based system if i did PP. any idea where pictures from that thread are??

yep, post #1 of this thread shows exactly how it will look in your dash.

rdlangston13
05-31-2012, 09:39 PM
ok cool, just want to make sure cause that picture is of digital cruise pro, not PP

wolfeman131
05-31-2012, 09:46 PM
My PP on the OBV and the DCP on the Mojo are nearly identical.

moombahighrider
05-31-2012, 10:40 PM
David, I have pp in my 2008 lsv and it looks exactly like that first photo in this thread. Super clean option.

PatL
06-01-2012, 06:34 AM
I was totally unaware of how integrated the PP option is on the newer dash. Very cool. Has me wondering about Zero Off factory install on the newer boats...appreciate you all sharing the intel on this install.

KSmith
06-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Woot! I have official approval from the boss that I can snag one of the digital cruise modules if I get the expected profit sharing check in July. Woot!

PatL
06-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Kraig, thats awesome...I originally added it to my boat mostly for slalom skiing but honestly the true benefit is wakeboarding and wakesurfing...makes the driving so much easier...as stated before wife/boss MUCH happier on the boat...

KSmith
06-27-2012, 08:06 AM
I'll be placing my order for the Digital Cruise as soon as Cynde calls me back from Atl Marine. Way cool! Now, I just need to finish off my ballast pump relocation project before it arrives ;-)

KSmith
06-27-2012, 01:22 PM
Order placed, Thanks Cynde! You can call off the dogs now, um yeah, I'm talkin to you Drew LOL

wolfeman131
06-27-2012, 11:19 PM
Order placed, Thanks Cynde! You can call off the dogs now, um yeah, I'm talkin to you Drew LOL

Whatchutalkinabout, Willis?

KSmith
06-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Whatchutalkinabout, Willis?

LOL I'm talking to Cynde and shes telling me you had already talked to her concerning my waiting for her to call, thanks for watching out for us Drew!!

wolfeman131
06-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Guess I'm not as stealthy as I thought.

Glad it's on the way, Kapt'n!

Boonejeepin
09-10-2012, 02:03 AM
Would I be able to get water temps if I upgraded to the digital cruise without any other modifications? I have the 2010 EZ Cruise currently.

wolfeman131
09-10-2012, 09:04 AM
Yes, I'm pretty sure you would. The temp is picked up from the paddlewheel. Call SC to confirm.

KSmith
09-10-2012, 10:31 AM
I get the water temp on my 2010 OV with the upgraded digitial cruise

jstenger
09-11-2012, 09:57 AM
I get the water temp on my 2010 OV with the upgraded digitial cruise

Do you have the part number handy for the digital cruise? What was the cost?

Thanks

89PROSTAR
09-11-2012, 10:03 AM
I'm looking to ugrade as well...I thought it was around 400.00

KSmith
09-11-2012, 10:24 AM
I don't have a part number. Call Cynde at Atl Marine and she can set you up and have it drop shipped to your home. It is around 750 or there abouts...