PDA

View Full Version : swim platform pad

junglej10
04-03-2003, 03:34 PM
I just got a new 2003 outback. When you step on the swim platform pad then get back in the boat it leaves black s*%t all over the vinyl. Does this black residue eventualy go away???

noneya
04-03-2003, 06:05 PM
That never happened with my new Outback

Halfcab
04-04-2003, 12:01 AM
I have an 02 Mob LSV and it does the same thing. Noticed it when I took the boat on a demo. My dealer is replacing the pad under warranty with the new type of material that Moomba and Supra are useing. Actually they just called me this week to let me know that the part came in. That stuff is hard to clean and can stain your vinyl. They should replace yours also.

Termite
04-22-2003, 02:17 PM
I have a 2002 Outback with the same problem. It occurred last summer, and happened yesterday as well when I de-winterized the boat. Evidently the sun causes the dye to break down, and when it gets wet, you track it right onto your upholstery and carpet. Good thing is that I've always been able to wipe it right off, without leaving any stains. Also, scrubbing the pad down with soap and a good stiff brush, and rinsing thoroughly seemed to help, but you'll have to do it periodically over the summer, as the black slime will come back after a while.

jburnside
04-24-2003, 08:24 AM
I am waiting for delivery of my 2003 Outback LS, do I need to be concerned with this happenning on my new boat? Or is the change in the pad material going to cure the problem? Is there a material change for all the new boats minus the std. Outback? Any advise is appriciated. Thanks.

TBrown0501
04-24-2003, 01:18 PM
I have a 2002 outback, I have about 20hours on it from last summer, I never noticed any dye comming off and tracking onto the boat. Maybe some of the cleaner you are using is breaking down the dye and not the sun? Harsh chemicals will pull the dye from the material and cause it to break down quicker than UV rays.

Termite
04-25-2003, 05:36 PM
Mine actually started bleeding right "out of the box". First time I climbed out of the water, it tracked right onto the upholstery. I thought it was just because it was new, and would soon stop (like washing a new pair of jeans). If it keeps doing it this summer, I'll have it replaced.

Bammer
10-16-2003, 05:23 PM
I had the same problem on an 03 Mobius LSV. We replaced with the newer material and have the same problem. A good pressure washing helped reduce it for a while. I miss the old grey material. I am waiting for Moomba's next move. I have heard good things about gator grip and may give it a shot.

Catdog1
10-16-2003, 05:33 PM
Old grey material --- I assume you mean the stuff on the older model boats --- it works great! 5 seasons, no issues.

TheBeeZ
10-17-2003, 08:52 AM
Yes, this is a common problem. The orginal pad is soft and breaks down. The replacement pad is a harder rubber which works better. They replaced mine under warranty.

mtvfiremedic
10-22-2003, 11:34 AM
2002 LSV mine was replaced under warranty too.. take it to your dealer.. havent had any issues at all with the new pad...
another thing to look out for...dont leave a wet orange flag on your seats in the sun.. mine bled and left a orange stripe on the back seat... i have scrubbed it with vinyl cleaner and its better barely noticeable..but its there...

Bammer
03-30-2004, 09:34 PM
I had the same problem with both the original soft material on my '02 Mob LSV as well as the less comfortable replacement that was done last year. Has anyone been able to find the old grey material? A buddy of mine had an '01 Outback with the grey material... no problems. 2 other guys with various forms of the new black stuff, same mess as the rest of us. I did find a great vinyl cleaner, but am a little sick of the constant effort to keep it clean.

08-12-2004, 04:40 PM
we had the same problem with out 2002 Outback Ls......they replace it this year with a less comfortable pad....and it does the same thing....especially to your skin....my kids get out of the water and look like they were run over by a car...

NH Moomba
09-02-2004, 06:04 PM
My swim platform pad is coming unglued on my 2000 LS and I plan on replacing it over the winter. It is currently two pieces of the black material. I have done some research and decided I like the Gator Grip best but most of the boats I look at have a pretty amateur looking cut lines. I know someone who will waterjet cut it for a reasonable price and my plan is to draw the outline in CAD and have him cut it. I was thinking of having some graphics cut into it like the kangaroo but can't seem to find any decent graphics on the web. I'm looking for any sort of a graphic that I can scale up and paste into Solidworks. I can then outline it with splines and will be able to have it cut. Does anyone out there know where I could find a decent Moomba graphic file? I'm not to picky on the file type. I'll find a a way to import it. It might be just a pipe dream but I thought I'd see what I could come up with.

Andy