PDA

View Full Version : Oil change = New Eco boost truck

Mikey
05-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Went to the dealership to get an oilchange and tire rotation on my 2010 F150 16 month old 5.4 truck. Had a little time to kill and i always was VERY interested to see what the ECOBOOST was really all about.
I ran into my old salesman and asked if it would be possible to take one out for a test spin?Well of course the answer was YES.
Low and behold before we even hopped into a Similar but newer truck ,with said motor,he mentioned FORD was having a 4 day 0% financing sale...

Of course i was like ,NO I CANNOT BUY another truck,BUT then he went on to tell me IF..... we could basically trade keys and no more money would you be interested?

Guess what??? We now have a 2012 ECOBOOST F150 with sweet 20'" rims, remote start and then identical match truck.. Redo financing and 28.00 a month more payments (due to slight upgrades),start financing over. ALL paper,transfers ,payouts etc included... Now i have the truck i really wanted!!!!!!

More power ,5mpg better and more features... I love it. I really don't think i will ever be able to take the truck back for service EVER,but oh well...

I have to admit that my wife was MORE than understanding,and willing to commit to this after explaining just the fuel savings and SHE gets a remote starter. Now just gotta figure how to get Cold air kit and reprogrammer???

Now just gotta break her in and hook up the boat and see how she really performs..

mmandley
05-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Nice man nice. I havnt herd to much about the CAI and Reprogrammers on those modles yet. Im sure there out there but do some research on it first.

I also would go talk to the service department directly about additions on the truck, the last few years the dealers are really cracking down on any changes. Its to the point now if you even change tire sizes and have any issues with the truck from brakes to steering they will void your warrenty because you changed it from factory.

moombadaze
05-26-2012, 08:27 PM
congrats on the new truck. pics or it didnt happen.

mmandley
05-26-2012, 10:11 PM
congrats on the new truck. pics or it didnt happen.

LOL thats what i told him on FB LOl

Mikey
05-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Heres a few pics of our new baby ,BadAss Blue..

E4NASH
05-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Nice! That is the exact same thing that happened to me in October. Went in
to get an oil change with my 2010 4.6L Tundra...left with a 2011 5.7L. Basically swapped keys. Now everytime I go to the dealer my wife wonders if I'll come back with something new...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdlangston13
05-27-2012, 01:03 PM
what is the XTR??? never heard of that

Mikey
05-27-2012, 06:04 PM
XTR is a trim pakage. It might even be one created just for our local market... I'm not 100% on that. Its a Chrome trim pack,includes Bumper,front grill, tow hooks ,exhuast tipcover chhome rim covers and running boards i believe. Makes a plain XLT which it is just stand out a little.Its just a convieneince pakage of sorts.

Mike as for upgrades ie cold air and programmer, They are available for sure. At the dealership i could get a Rousch cold air kit from them which is approved althought the programmers are available but i'm not too sure if they are approved ,likely Not.

Mikey
05-27-2012, 06:07 PM
BTW,my wife says i am 100% banned from going to the dealership again for oil changes, HaHa.
She does like the truck though,she got to choose the colour. We had the same colour 2 trucks ago.

rc5695
05-29-2012, 12:38 PM
very nice!

bergermaister
05-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Nice ride Mikey - I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on towing with it vs. the "old" 5.4. Buddy of mine has basically the same truck in a black Lariat but he has yet to tow with it.

dusty2221
05-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Nice man! Those oil changes get expensive sometimes!!

Mikey
05-29-2012, 09:46 PM
I will post up my conclusion as to how different it is for pulling soon.I'm curious to know as is a friend of mine who's nearing the end of a lease ,is seriously interested.My only problem now is,i want to go out this weekend ,but the motor isn't broken in yet,and likely i don't have time to rack up some miles as my schedule is full this week.

I haven't had time to read up in the manual as to what Proper breakin mileage before towing is but i believe on one of my other trucks it recommended 1000km /600 miles. I'm not even close.... If i was reasonably close it would not be a big deal,the lake i want to go to is nearly 1 hr drive and since this is my 2nd baby next to boat i would like to do things properly??? Any thoughts,advice??Next weekend i'mbooked up for family matters so it may be awhile. Since i hav;t been out yet this is really starting to bother me.

patrick232
05-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Since you are not close to the max towing weight, I would say go for it. Just vary your speed and don't hammer the throttle. I know it will be hard not to floor it :)

rdlangston13
05-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Sounds like the "Texas Edition" here

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

Mikey
05-31-2012, 10:38 PM
Could be... I know Chev's have a Version they sell from time to time here as well. Just cosmetics,really. Just give the truck i little more Bling. I must add i just got the truck Back from the dealership as it didn't get the Delivery DETAIL as we wanted it the day we did the deal. WOW SHE SURE is Shiny now!!!!

Mikey
06-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Finally got to tow with the new truck yesterday. I was quite amazed at the power difference. I towed just under 1 hr each way ,but was fightin wind and rain partially both ways.Due to this i never pushed it hard although i launched HARD off one intersection just to get a feel for the power difference and Yeah it pulls very solid right up till i backed off at 70+mph. Cruising along its got plenty of power and seeing as its still a 1/2 ton i still notice the trailer slightly due to trailer tugging etc,but nothing to complain about...
Due to shitty weather i kinda forgot to really follow up on milleage etc ,tryin to pay more attention to the road etc.

As mentioned ,weather sucked out and so what was to be my FIRST time out on the water ,DID NOT happen. The weather man kinda shit the bed on the forecast for the location we went too. It was a steady rain/drissle and windy,whitecapping etc. The weather source i usually use is usually bang on but not this time..Shitty part is i left all my Surf bags and boards at home,we could have surfed minus the rain,bad sadly we had planned on skiing and wakeboarding only and that did not happen.

Going back to the truck,definetely love driving it, My wife even has become a SPEED DEMON herself commenting ,how easy it is to get to speed and or over due to the quietness and responsiveness of the TWIN TURBO V6. This truck definetely has way more noticeable power and whenever we can both learn to drive a little less heavy footed i expect the better fuel economy to follow.

loudsubz
06-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Report back on MPG after breakin, from what U have read there isn't as big as a gap as reported by some.

Mikey
06-19-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm starting to wonder as well,although towing is not when i will be able to tell. It will be the everyday driving where i will be able to tell,after we learn to drive the speed limits again...

maxpower220
09-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Any update on the EcoBoost. Thinking about a new truck

deerfield
09-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Thinking about a new truck

Same here. Replacing a '99 2500 Suburban. Easy choice is another Suburban (in black). But are rethinking and considering a crew cab pickup truck: Ford F150, Chevy Silverado 1500, or Ram 1500. The boys are grown, so we don't need the seating room of the Suburban.

Like maxpower asked, any update on the Ecoboost?

patrick232
09-03-2012, 06:31 AM
We have had crew cabs since 2002, but with the kids growing and travel sports taking over. We are looking at a suburban for this first time. I did look at the fords and the look like the total package inside and out. GM needs to step up with the 2014 trucks that are due in about 6 months.

Mikey
09-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Latest update on the Ecoboost would be that it does Not get the numbers that it says it should although i never do.

Maybe the numbers are based on perfect conditions,totally empty truck,down hill with a tail wind or what ever.... Also note where we live we are at fairly high elevation 3500ft above sea level so we are at a bit of a disadvantage. I really notice when we do holidays at lower elevations. I really notice the difference in the boat moreso.

I still believe i get slightly better milleage than my old 2010 5.4 gas truck but the Definetely is a noticeable difference in POWER. So by having More power and slightly better milleage i',m still ahead in My books and my wife actually enjoys the extra power as well.

As a couple of you have mentioned,as for room i would really suggest you have a look at the inside Space inside the 2009 and up Ford F150 crewcabs is enormous.It gained 6 inches from my 2008 truck and has ample room in back seat for large adults etc. I'm 6' 5'' and have No problems with leg room with seat full back. Even for driving i do not have the seat full back for legroom up front.... Tons of room.Something to ponder???

ga-lsv05
09-04-2012, 08:36 AM
What mileage are you getting while towing?

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

maxpower220
09-08-2012, 08:05 PM
I test drove the FX4 in 5.0 and Ecoboost. Overall a nice truck. The 5.0 drove almost exactly like my Avalanche 5.3 in terms of power. I didn't notice the Ecoboost to be any quicker on a short test drive. I read on the F150 forums that many ecoboost owners are not getting the MPGs posted. While a few are getting much more than on the sticker.

I'm pretty sure that gas mileage is always going to be 12 or south while pulling until you step up to diesel, then maybe 14.

ga-lsv05
09-08-2012, 08:10 PM
My 6.4 f250 gets around 13 towing with no tune

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

Mikey
09-09-2012, 06:17 PM
I haven'y really checked the milleage numbers as of late ,but my milleage also come up in Litres/100 km,s. I had a a simple conversion calculator but cannot find . Also i assume you are refering to US gallons not Imperial gallons etc.

This is where it gets to be a real pain in the a.. if we all want to talk apples to apples and not apples to oranges etc.
I hate the fact most of our stuff is listed metric,when really in real life,we use about 50-50 metric and imperial. Road speed and milleage i convert in my head quickly without thought any more but diong Milleage calculations etc regarding fuel can be a real pain. I'm sure most of our advertising is likely based on US figures..... Even when a good portion of vehicheles are made here in Canada.