PDA

View Full Version : Is 175 x 2 RMS enough for a pair of WS Pro 80s?

Dubwake21
05-23-2012, 07:41 PM
I know that the specs say 200W RMS, and I am sure that the Wetsounds can take that if not more, but for anyone underpowering these, what are your thoughts? I don't want to cheapen my Wetsounds experience, but I'd like to keep using my Kicker 350.4.

E4NASH
05-23-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm using the same amp for my Pro 60s. Ideally you'd want to match them up but I'm sure they'd be fine for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cigars n scotch
05-23-2012, 08:58 PM
I run a Rockford Fosgate P500-2 which is 125 rms x 2 for my pro80's. I asked my friend what I should get in the "budget" area and he pointed me to this. seems to work but i have no comparison to someone with an actual boss stereo system. ive never heard a syn amp matched up with a ws hlcd.

jmvotto
05-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Ideally you would want a more powerful amp with power and headroom. That will work but will feel or sound like its working too hard if up want it loud. My non pro opinion.

MLA
05-23-2012, 10:13 PM
I know that the specs say 200W RMS, and I am sure that the Wetsounds can take that if not more, but for anyone underpowering these, what are your thoughts? I don't want to cheapen my Wetsounds experience, but I'd like to keep using my Kicker 350.4.

Let me ask you this first. If this system is up and running, is it meeting your expectations?

Dubwake21
05-23-2012, 11:02 PM
No, I am currently running Kicker double barrels at 60RMS x 4. And since they are co-axial, I would like something more.

EarmarkMarine
05-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Plus/minus 25 watts isn't going to be audible as a power ratio in this case. Like mentioned above that amplifier will definitely work in the short term. Keep in mind that you are having to bridge that amplifier to get the 175 watts times two so there isn't going to be much headroom. In other words, you'll be running at redline to drive the Pro80s. I would recommend a larger amplifier down the road.

David
Earmark Marine

MLA
05-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Plus/minus 25 watts isn't going to be audible as a power ratio in this case. Like mentioned above that amplifier will definitely work in the short term. Keep in mind that you are having to bridge that amplifier to get the 175 watts times two so there isn't going to be much headroom. In other words, you'll be running at redline to drive the Pro80s. I would recommend a larger amplifier down the road.

David
Earmark Marine

This is exactly where I was going with my earlier question. 175W to each is good power, but you are asking that amp to run with the peddle floored so to speak, just to get it. If you want to get the most out of those speakers, get a larger 2 chnl or 4 chnl thats going to meet or exceed the RMS. This will give you good clean volume with a little head-room as David mentioned.

Dubwake21
05-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks guys. And how does the 5V line driver boost from the WS 420 play into gain/powering these speakers?

EarmarkMarine
05-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Well, the Wetsounds EQ will definitely help with the signal quality besides all the other obvious benefits. However, the EQ's built-in line driver will not impact the amplifier power output in any way or form.
Btw, the Wetsounds WS420 EQ is actually six discrete 5 volt preouts which is very rare among EQs. Most drive the in-boat zone and the tower zone with the same 2-channel preout driver and simply split it with a preamp fader.

David
Earmark Marine

whelchel86
05-24-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm running 180x2 rms to my pro80's and they sound fine. I'm in no hurry to upgrade that amp. Maybe that's because the 700x1 going to the pro485 makes the pro80's seem a little insignificant...?