PDA

View Full Version : Trailer back up issues

jmvotto
05-21-2012, 10:23 PM
I am having problems consistently with backing up the trailer. I move it around the yard so i can mow. I have a Chevy suburban 07 LTZ with tow package. Sometimes it works sometimes not. The round plug to 5 straight pin should work. The dealer did not seem to have issues moving it sound on their chevy's. How do I know if the adapter plug is bad or the mount in the bumper of he truck...?

Also seems like the trailer tongue compresses easy and locks the brakes, thought the electrical signal prevented that.

wolfeman131
05-21-2012, 10:33 PM
WallyWorld

$12.99 for a tester to make sure everything in the truck is working correctly. If so, then something is up with the trailer and off to the dealer it should go!

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=trailer+plug+tester&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

FWIW to those ordering new boats, there is an inexpensive upgrade for the trailer to a 7 pin connector. I got it for the Mojo and won't order another boat without it.

jmvotto
05-21-2012, 10:44 PM
WallyWorld

$12.99 for a tester to make sure everything in the truck is working correctly. If so, then something is up with the trailer and off to the dealer it should go!

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=trailer+plug+tester&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

FWIW to those ordering new boats, there is an inexpensive upgrade for the trailer to a 7 pin connector. I got it for the Mojo and won't order another boat without it.

Did not realize that . Thought the Five way was the standard wiring of the trailer. Could the adapter be bad? New plug and tester seemed to be priced th same

wolfeman131
05-21-2012, 10:48 PM
yep, 5 is the standard number of wires for the trailer, the trailer plug upgrade simply eliminates the need for that adapter thingy.

you're correct, your issue could be there, so maybe the tester/adapter combo would be the way to go to help elininate 2 possible failure points and leave only the trailer as an untested variable.

Nobodyrides4Free
05-22-2012, 09:14 AM
The 5th wire is connected to to your back up lights. This is what sends a signal to your silenoid on trailer so the brakes
dont engage. I bought a plug that had 4 and 5 hook ups on it and kept having problems.
Found out it was bad.
Make sure your backup lights are working on your truck first.
If they are , you need to make sure that your getting power to the trailer
silenoid. You will need the tester.
Worse case it may be the silenoid. But I would check all wire connections First. Hope you get it fixed.

chawk610
05-22-2012, 09:14 AM
If your trailer reverse lights are lighting up then you should have no issue I would think.

kaneboats
05-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Check every fuse having anything to do with lights or reverse or towing.

bergermaister
05-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Check every fuse having anything to do with lights or reverse or towing.
Second that. I was about to replace the plug on my Expedition a few years ago - then found a second fuse box under the hood and low and behold the "towing package" section as they were described had a blown fuse.

jpetty3023
05-22-2012, 12:51 PM
That was my exact issue couple months ago. Was finally traced to a blown fuse that Dusty suggested early in the drama. Dealer found the blown fuse, replaced, and has been flawless since

Sent from my home phone..

jmvotto
05-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Found them in the manual, have to Ho into high school concert now. Will check when I get home or tomorrow. Thanks, never thought of the fuses...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

newty
05-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Back-up lights and back-up lead in the plug are on differnt fuses. My silverado and tahoe both blew the trailer b/u fuses at one point. Check the fuse box under the hood. Should say "tlr b/u" or something similar. put a little bigger fuse in than was in it.

jmvotto
05-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Back-up lights and back-up lead in the plug are on differnt fuses. My silverado and tahoe both blew the trailer b/u fuses at one point. Check the fuse box under the hood. Should say "tlr b/u" or something similar. put a little bigger fuse in than was in it.

Ding ding ding. it was the fuse for the trailer BU

wolfeman131
05-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Ask Newty and ye shall receive.

jmvotto
05-23-2012, 10:12 AM
i think a couple beat him to the fuse scenario but all good advice , did not know it was seperate.

Gosh I love this place....