PDA

View Full Version : 1200 Mile towing suggestions

04OUTBACK
05-21-2012, 11:37 AM
I leave thursday am with my 21V towing back down south.
Lets hear some suggestions and tips for this long of a tow.
Double axle trailer..

I have pulled the canvas off the Z5. I believe there are straps in the console to bolster the z5 frame.

Hoping to ride WITHOUT the cover on Weather permitting.. the 2011 cover seems to be ok for towing.. but fear it could rub a little on the gelcoat.

Not much gas in the boat for less weight.

Also, any truck tips? I have 2011 Silverado Z71 with tow package. I am estimating 11 mpg.. UGH at least the further south i get, the cheaper fuel will be..

The double axle trailer sits very level...
I am contemplating trying to find some kind of mud flaps that mount to trailer hitch.

parrothd
05-21-2012, 12:34 PM
I leave thursday am with my 21V towing back down south.
Lets hear some suggestions and tips for this long of a tow.
Double axle trailer..

I have pulled the canvas off the Z5. I believe there are straps in the console to bolster the z5 frame.

Hoping to ride WITHOUT the cover on Weather permitting.. the 2011 cover seems to be ok for towing.. but fear it could rub a little on the gelcoat.

Not much gas in the boat for less weight.

Also, any truck tips? I have 2011 Silverado Z71 with tow package. I am estimating 11 mpg.. UGH at least the further south i get, the cheaper fuel will be..

The double axle trailer sits very level...
I am contemplating trying to find some kind of mud flaps that mount to trailer hitch.

I'd leave the cover on, otherwise you should remove all the cushions and anything else that can fly out. Make sure you grease the bearing and have a spare.. :)

wolfeman131
05-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Cover off, cushions in the truck bed (assuming it's covered) the mudflaps like mmandley/dusty have, spare with the proper lug wrench for the nuts, bottle jack, and an expediated route thru the ATL for some Chik-fil-A (I'm buying) then a water test on Sinclair.

bergermaister
05-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Maybe add a little air to your rear tires to make up for the tongue weight. I do that on long trips.

I hate the stuff but I'd also bring along a can of fix-a-flat. Even with a spare it can save you from being stranded for a while in the case you have a double case of bad luck.

If you tow covered, stop every couple hundy and snug it down or at least check that it's not flapping.

Oh, and load up the ipod with tunes!

wolfeman131
05-21-2012, 12:51 PM
berg's post reminded me of ratchet straps. In case everything else fails, you can ratchet up an axel & run on 1 tire for a short distace. I think berg had to do this and posted about it.

KSmith
05-21-2012, 01:40 PM
I'd look into getting it shrink wrapped.

parrothd
05-21-2012, 01:45 PM
I had mine towed 1900 miles, Reno to Chicago, have you looked at uship? Mine was $1500 and delivered 3 days later.. :) The cover will be fine, you may want to wrap the cover straps so the don't leave marks on the gel coat..

wolfeman131
05-21-2012, 01:46 PM
I like that idea best!

bergermaister
05-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Actually I just limped down the shoulder a ways and then threw on the spare. I saw a guy at the launch last summer with a big 24ft daycruiser on a jalopy looking tandem axle trailer but only the rear two tires on the trailer. Not sure if he had the axle tied up or not as I didn't want to get to close

Curious about the reason for the road trip - ? Would be fun to make several stops along the way at lakes/rivers but doesn't sound like that's your plan.

wolfeman131
05-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Somebody tied one up one time. Maybe Newty or Mandley?

Brad is moving from upstate NY back closer to home in the Dirty South. Once he gets rolling, he ain't going stop!

kaneboats
05-21-2012, 02:20 PM
I think he mentioned in another thread about moving to Louisiana. Those are some great suggestions. If you come through Tallahassee, give me a holler. We'll got to Po' Boys Creole Cafe right off I-10. Also, you're close enough to think about coming to the Sinclair or Flint River jams this year.

Have a safe ride!

maxpower220
05-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Tie downs for the boat, make sure you are tied down on the front and BACK of the boat.
Have a spare tire, a jack that will lift your trailer and the proper lug nut tool (a 4-way works great).
Test you lights.
Tow with cover off!.
Inflate tires on trailer to max (should be 50-65psi, but will be written on the tires). Inflte your truck tires to max, as written on the tire, not the truck label.
Tape down your cushions and access panels so they won't move in wind or bumps.
Ensure that you have lubed the wheel bearings.
Check your insurance on your car and boat to ensure coverage for any type of failure on the trip.

New Guy
05-21-2012, 03:28 PM
FYI you don't need a jack unless both tires go flat. I have used a 4X4 on the good tire and pulled it up, so that the other tire was in the air. Works like a charm.

04OUTBACK
05-21-2012, 04:11 PM
I like the stop along the way suggestion most!
thanks for the tips.. a few things i had not thought of for sure!

04OUTBACK
05-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Since im driving my truck down anyway, the boat is only a 10 mpg deficit on fuel mileage ;-)

i may look at the route and try to find partner in crime along the way.!

motosno963
05-21-2012, 04:21 PM
dont shrink wrap the boat..i did it when i brought my boat from kentucky to NY and with in maybe a 100 miles i had a rock hole or something in thr front..lets just say by the time i got home in NY there was nothing left of the wrap from the tower back and it was flapping all over the place

moombadaze
05-21-2012, 04:48 PM
correct air in tires, spare tire, fix a flat-just in case, credit card for gas.

if the cusions are loose I'd pull them all and put them someplace secure, otherwise leave them and dont speed to bad

wolfeman131
05-21-2012, 04:55 PM
i may look at the route and try to find partner in crime along the way.!

It's 10 hrs from Sinclair to Baton Rougue and I can fly back to the ATL for $220.

Just FYI . . . :)

Cigars n scotch
05-21-2012, 06:17 PM
All good suggestions except I don't understand why everyone is telling you to tow without a cover? I towed my boat from UT to NJ (something like 2200 miles) with a cover on and it was fine, I cannot imagine the mess the boat interior would have been in if I didn't have a cover on. What of you hit bad weather?

Mud flaps are a good idea but I didn't have any besides what was on my truck. And your truck will be fine towing it, I towed through Utah, Wyoming, Iowa, and Nebraska all with a 4.7l Tundra and it made it just fine. You're not going to break any land speed records but you want to take your tie anyway.

Stopping along the way is a great idea and something my wife and I did. We dropped the boat in a couple of lakes. Make the trip a fun road trip and you'll be at your destination before you know it.

Uship and shipping it in general was too expensive so we drove out and brought it home. Total trip we spent about $1200.

Enjoy!

wolfeman131
05-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Some covers are made for towing and some not. You may have just gotten lucky as many have posted horror stories about what their covers and straps did to the gel. Might also be a big difference between a white boat and a black one.

newty
05-21-2012, 06:34 PM
berg's post reminded me of ratchet straps. In case everything else fails, you can ratchet up an axel & run on 1 tire for a short distace. I think berg had to do this and posted about it.

Actually, the tortion axles won't drop. Just take the tire off an go. Worked for me. Just took it easy.

Sent from my duhroid

jmvotto
05-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Somebody tied one up one time. Maybe Newty or Mandley?

Brad is moving from upstate NY back closer to home in the Dirty South. Once he gets rolling, he ain't going stop!

I am going to be lonely:(. Be safe ole buddy...

motosno963
05-21-2012, 11:00 PM
I am going to be lonely:(. Be safe ole buddy...i got ya buddy dont worry

04OUTBACK
05-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Dang Drew... i was just looking at the map and contemplating.. its a few hundred miles outta the way.. tempting!

this cover is designed for Towing I believe. it is vented.. no side straps, and ratchet buckle in back to lock it down.

torn on the cover.. like the protection, fear chafing..

wolfeman131
05-21-2012, 11:26 PM
I'll sweeten the pot for ya.

90 degrees for Sat. Local weather gal is giving it a 9 out of 10.

So, for you Mr. Webb, FREE ice cold beer, ribs on the grill, slaw, BBQ beans, corn on the cob, strawberry shortcake w/ homemade ice cream . .

E4NASH
05-22-2012, 12:02 AM
I'll sweeten the pot for ya.

90 degrees for Sat. Local weather gal is giving it a 9 out of 10.

So, for you Mr. Webb, FREE ice cold beer, ribs on the grill, slaw, BBQ beans, corn on the cob, strawberry shortcake w/ homemade ice cream . .

Wow! That's a pretty good offer there. I may have to tell the inlaws thanks for coming and head on down Drew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
05-22-2012, 12:06 AM
Bring 'em, E. If I don't like them, I'll dump them on one of the islands. We will be there Thurs thru Tues.

dusty2221
05-22-2012, 12:11 AM
Drew, you should join us in Arkansas instead. Ash, kira, crash and I arrive Wednesday nighty. Staying until sometime Monday. Plenty of boat room for ya....

Use those miles bud!

wolfeman131
05-22-2012, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the completely last minute, no shot in hell can we make it invite. How about a little notice next time, kemosabi?

wolfeman131
05-22-2012, 12:19 AM
Oh, and did ya clear that w/ KG?

dusty2221
05-22-2012, 12:23 AM
I'm running this mug. You have enough bauce in ya. Make it happen!

wolfeman131
05-22-2012, 12:29 AM
Look here, they fly jet airplanes out of the ATL. Is there anywhere to safely land one of those in AR?

dusty2221
05-22-2012, 12:36 AM
Reckon you could fly on one of them flying boats and land safely in lake ouachita. We could handle the rest.

04OUTBACK
05-22-2012, 07:10 AM
WHAT AN OFFER DREW!
I have a wife in Miss who is expecting me Friday. (haven't been there in a few weeks). Extend the offer for later in summer, I'm there..
NOW

HERE's the Route in case anyone less outta the way is along the way:
ROChester
buffalo
Erie
Cleveland
Columbus
Cincinnati
Louisville probably stop thurs eve between here and Nashville
Nashville
Birmingham
Mississippi...

moombadaze
05-22-2012, 07:11 AM
Oh, and did ya clear that w/ KG?

I'm thinking not, hence the " completely last minute, no shot in hell can we make it invite"

moombadaze
05-22-2012, 07:33 AM
Brad, it sounds like its a tow cover, I'd use it. Maybe place some towels between the cover and hull where it could rub and also across the top of the windshield frame to prevent messin with the gell coat.

best of luck

wolfeman131
05-22-2012, 07:41 AM
Ok, Brad. Since you dropped the "wife" card you will now be required to bring a 6 pack of your best Mississippi-brewed adult beverage. Unless that happens to be some kinda white liquor that Skeeter made out in the bayou. Last time I had some of that hooch, I nearly drowned.

Invite is open. Call and book soon though as weekends at Chez Wolfey get filled quickly.

jmvotto
05-22-2012, 09:00 AM
Brad, stop at lowes, HD or a moving place and get that Industrial (saran wrap stuff) they put on carpets, wrap palletes etc and wrap the boat area a couple times where the cover might chaffe the gel coat. should hold up pretty solid and not damage the gel coat.

kaneboats
05-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Sounds like Jack is the winner. You're going right by Tuscaloosa. Based on my view of the lake from the shore it's one you do not want to skip.

mmandley
05-22-2012, 12:04 PM
I love everyones concern about the boat i really do, but i would be looking more at your tow vechicle. Thats the one doing all the real work here.

IDK what year the truck is bro but this is what i always check on my truck before long trips.

Since your pulling with a 1/2 ton it will more then do it but you are working it as the max tow capacity is around 10K and that boat trailer, and your gear is easily at 6 to 7K.

Truck when was the last Oil change? If more then 1500 miles ago change it before the trip
Do you have 4 wheel disk brakes? If you got rear drums get them inspected and adjusted.
Run 10PSI more in the rear tires for long distance towing, the tires will sag more then normal and wear the edges down a lot faster, 10 PSI will keep them flater, more rubber on the road.
When was the last trans service on the truck? More then 1 year ago? Get a fluid and filter changed.
Check your coolant, how many miles on the truck? More then 50K since last cooling system maintenace? They make a lot of addidtives to add to your coolant to ensure it cools properly. Id look into that.
Check your serpentine belt on the truck, is there any cracks? Replace it.

Other then that keep an eye on the truck Temp gauge it will tell you everything you need to know. Check your Oil at every fuel stop, walk around the boat and trailer and check for anything amiss.

Do that and you will do just fine.

All to often i see people broken on the side of the road and its something simple to maintain but they didnt do it, and now there stuck.

As for your boat, Honestly if it was mine towing long distance, i would put that cover on it, take it up on the highway and see how it reacts, does it balloon up? Yes then its not a towing cover. Can you tow with it? Yes but you have to watch it.

Id have to say your cover is very close to the one on my boat as i have 2 vents, lots of reinforced areas, but it has 4 straps. I almost always tow with my cover on when on the freeway. Honestly id rather buff out a couple rub marks then deal with the crap that is on the highway.

Look at your windshield and the front of your truck and you will see the debris on the road the boat will see. Small rocks, bugs, dirt, people spraying there whindshields, all nasty stuff that a boat is not designed to deal with. Pluss at Highway speeds everytime you pass a semi or they pass you, you get hit with the wind blast thats full of what ever is all over there rig. Nast stuff man, take some towels, wrap them on the boat, add the cover and cinch it down tight. You will be fine.

Lastly 11MPG in a gasser is impressive pulling that boat. Better expect more like 8 because most Diesels stock pulling boats are getting 11 or 12 IDK what the fool behind the wheel is bragging. LOL

rc5695
05-22-2012, 12:17 PM
I'll have to admit I dind't read ALL the posts, but skimmed thru most of them

Like Mike said above, expect 8-10 mpg, unless you run 55 mph the whole way...

Ditto everybody else on max pressure in rear tires, and same or close to it in front, & trailer tires.

Also install some bearing buddies on your trailer wheels if it doens't have them. Automatically keeps them greased.

Grady
05-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Brad, What part of Miss are you moving to? I'm live in Hattiesburg on Big Bay Lake.

rdlangston13
05-24-2012, 12:09 AM
I'll have to admit I dind't read ALL the posts, but skimmed thru most of them

Like Mike said above, expect 8-10 mpg, unless you run 55 mph the whole way...

Ditto everybody else on max pressure in rear tires, and same or close to it in front, & trailer tires.

Also install some bearing buddies on your trailer wheels if it doens't have them. Automatically keeps them greased.

i put some bearing buddies on my trailer and it the wheel seals blew out before the bearing buddies extruded...im going back to the original vault caps it came with but now i am having issues with my cotter pins contacting the inside of the vault caps and preventing the center piece from spinning and this creates ALOT of heat. i am going to have to trim some of the excess off the cotter pins to keep it all free. and even after all my trailer repairs this year my right rear wheel is leaking water in...so that is on the to do list

mike, sounds like you have the same cover as me, can you just not connect the straps to the trailer and leave them in the boat for towing to prevent gel coat damage? I would like to be able to tow with the cover on to prevent my seat cushions from taking flight...

mmandley
05-24-2012, 11:28 AM
mike, sounds like you have the same cover as me, can you just not connect the straps to the trailer and leave them in the boat for towing to prevent gel coat damage? I would like to be able to tow with the cover on to prevent my seat cushions from taking flight...

Yes you can but the issue for mine seems to be the nose, will fold in from the wind pressure in the bow, and the sides of the windshield blow up with air, and the sides might fold in. I havnt tried it without the side straps.

I can tow with the nose straps and its no issue due to the curve of the bow. Just add a twist to the strap line and it helps stop the vibratting.

I have my Evo cover on order, for uhh, 3+ months LOL. I got some custom things for it that have really slowed it but im told i should have it next week.

04OUTBACK
05-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Grady. Look for me on big bay this weekendhttp://img.tapatalk.com/a68988d8-601a-0a3c.jpg.
Family is in Columbia. Coming up on Erie pa. Avg 10.1 mpg.

kaneboats
05-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Have a safe pull, bro.

SEARK
05-24-2012, 02:21 PM
I know you'll be glad to get back down here. Have a safe trip.

jmvotto
05-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Yes be safe my southern bro...

wolfeman131
05-24-2012, 11:19 PM
Get your hands back on the wheel! That's precious cargo back there.

Safe travels!

bergermaister
05-25-2012, 01:54 AM
You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law......

Good luck amigo! 10 & 2 and as much coffee as it takes!

rdlangston13
05-25-2012, 05:56 AM
So I was driving through the out skirts of Lafayette at about 1:30 am this morning heading back to work and I swear someone shot the side of my truck with a bb gun while I was on some little two lane road. Oh how I hate Louisiana 14508

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

04OUTBACK
05-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Passin thru ky. Ate chili at skyline last night. Just shy of 6
700 miles left

wolfeman131
05-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Skyline & 700 left is a BAD combo for any passenger, be they man or beast!

moombadaze
05-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Skyline & 700 left is a BAD combo for any passenger, be they man or beast!

More than likely Brad will be getting a new truck after that combo

Cigars n scotch
05-25-2012, 10:04 PM
So I was driving through the out skirts of Lafayette at about 1:30 am this morning heading back to work and I swear someone shot the side of my truck with a bb gun while I was on some little two lane road. Oh how I hate Louisiana 14508

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

I would say you are right. Man that sucks. Probably some punk kids. Sorry to hear.

When I was young, like 8 or so, on mischief night we were coming home and some kids threw a brick at the car and just missed the side passenger window. Scared the shit out of all of us. My step father slammed on the brakes, burned 'em up in reverse and got out to look for them but they were in the woods and likely just took off.

What kids will do for enjoyment.....

Cigars n scotch
05-25-2012, 10:43 PM
I meant brakes....