PDA

View Full Version : things to look for when buying a used moomba

djiali
06-27-2005, 09:52 PM
sorry about the double subject post...messed up the first time.

I'm heading out tomorrow to look at a 2000 moomba outback w/ 135 hours on the engine. also it's been in the salt water. What should I be looking for as far as knowing that i'm getting a good boat? I don't think that I'm going to be able to put it in the water, but could I start it up on the trailer (sounds like a bad idea to me, but I've only ever owned outboard small boats).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
dj

smokedog2
06-28-2005, 07:42 AM
Oh my. A Pig in a Poke comes to mind.

I know enough to know I do not know anything. A good mechanic can make almost any engine with all the parts run for 10 minutes.

I suggest settle on a price contingent upon a function inspection by your mechanic. If you do not know a good mechanic call the local dealer and ask them to look at it. Get that arranged before the negotiation.

Money well spent. You want to know things like compression, engine wear, prop alignment, cooling system corrosion, etc. that a walk around simply cannot tell you.

I do not put a lot of stock in the joy ride, I do in a good mechanic. He can also tell you if the hours are true.

SD2

clark
06-28-2005, 10:05 AM
Great advice. I agree, even if you put it in the water for 10-15 minutes, you really don't have much information. This is a big investment, spend a few bucks now so you dont regret it later.

Clark

qb12
06-28-2005, 10:25 AM
just my input. i bought my 02 outback basically off of boattrader.com. it was a bank repo with 66 hrs on it. luckily i had a uncle who lives in hutchinson ks and he knows boats very well. i made a call to him to inspect the boat and everything was good. went to colorado snow skiing and picked it up on the way back.

only a couple of minor issues but other than that it has been great. have already hit 102 hrs on it and changed the oil last night.

my only concern with the boat you are looking at is the salt water use. just food for thought.

good luck. doug, tulsa