PDA

View Full Version : Dual Batt Set-Up??

Jet
05-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Im starting on my stereo wiring and double battery set up with a pergo switch by the drivers side panel. Whats the best way for me to set this up? And what NOT to do?? Heres my set-up. Thanks Jet1444114442

Jet
05-18-2012, 10:37 AM
Oh, how do you like those zoomie header pipes I added? lol

sandm
05-18-2012, 11:11 AM
whatever you do, don't use a pergo switch.... spend the cash for a real hardwood switch..

I'd run it up and over if you can. keep wiring off the floor if possible.
that ppi amp looks nice. I really liked their stuff. love to have a pair of pro-mos425's in my boat :)

ChrisK
05-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Interested to see the responses here, I JUST finished my stereo setup and I think we are pretty much identical now. 3 amps and I have the Perko in the garage waiting for me to buy a second batter, cable, and install...

bhowell
05-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Just remember that weight placement affects the wake and some batteries weigh around 50lbs. I'd think about where I need the weight (nose/middle, center/side) in combination with your ballast, cooler, seating, etc.

Jet
05-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Exactly on the battery placement. The battery location is driver off-set weight. Whats the deal with pergo?? Probably 80-90% of boats have a pergo?? And whats a hardwood switch??

Jet
05-18-2012, 12:25 PM
And what size cable should I use going to the batterys?? 0-4-8??

dusty2221
05-18-2012, 12:59 PM
I'd agree with sandm, def go with hardwood over pergo. Pergo looks nice at first, but after a while you will wish you had just gone with the real deal.

sandm
05-18-2012, 01:02 PM
guess that one flew below the knees and over the head. it's a perko switch. I'll let you figure the rest out :)

I'd use 4 for the amps to a distro block, then use either 4 or 8, depending on what the owners manual calls for. assuming that you are using a distro block. if you are wiring each amp directly to the battery or perko, then use what the manual calls for. every amp will be different. as for wiring to the switch, not sure what the manual recommends, but you can't have too much. make sure you use a good quality cable and solid connections. that's where most issues pop up.

Jet
05-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Oh, I did do Pergo huh? lol

Jet
05-18-2012, 02:06 PM
Ok, still need some wiring dia going on here. Whatcha got?? Its friday I know yall arent working. Chop-chop!!

Jet
05-18-2012, 02:17 PM
OK, so whats the beef on the hardwood switch??

Or is the hardwood switch part of the joke?? I think I feel like a heel now. You mean ISO switch??

TRLMoomba
05-18-2012, 02:30 PM
I went with the Blue Sea switch and ACR (automatic charge relay). This way when you are running the boat is charging and then at night I can plug in the the single bank charger that is wired in. It really works out pretty slick. Once done it is pretty idiot proof. I used #4 wire and purchased one of the cable crimpers at Harbor Freight to attach all my ends and worked out great.14443

Cigars n scotch
05-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Jet dude you are killing me right now! This thread has me laughing. Hardwood, pergo... Hahahahahahaha.

They are busting your balls. Pergo is a laminate floor and since you didn't catch on they said to go with a "hardwood" switch instead. Hardwood floor, get it?

Jet
05-18-2012, 04:23 PM
I got it, but yes I was late in on the joke. But Its friday TIME to get SERIOUS on my boat, so My mind is on numbers and the clock and yall are qracking jokes. lol. i did think hardwood was a brand though. lmao

Razzman
05-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Jet I'm assuming your running the amps off of one batt and the other for start? With the three amps I would run at least 2 gauge (1ga is even better even though it's a short run) from the batt to a distro block near the amps, otherwise you run the risk of not supplying enough power to the amps. The more consistent power you give them the less risk of overheat, shutdown, etc. 4 gauge from the distro to the amps is fine however.

jmvotto
05-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Why do you want the switch on the drivers side.? Those length of cables are going to get spendy.

mmandley
05-19-2012, 11:24 AM
I had the Perko my first 2 years, switched to an ACR last year, never again will i have a PERKO.

ACR is the only way to go. Just like TRL Moomba's picture shows. Use 2 circuit breakers 1 for each bank. This will allow you to bypass the ACR when charging at home. I pop open both breakers, then put my charger on the closest of my 3 batteries and it charges them all. When i goto the lake i close the breakers and the ACR takes over.

The ACR will use the #1 battery to start your boat and charge it to 13. something volts. Or charge it for 2 minutes, if its already fully charged. It will then auto matically switch to Battery 2 and charge it till its completly charged as well. It will then monitor both to switch charging to the one needed.

Proof that it works.

Sunday we went out, at some point in the day breaker 2 got hit with a bookbag and opened, so it wasnt in the charging loop anylonger.

While surfing several hours after the bookbag people left for the day my stereo started cutting on and off. I looked in the cubby as i also have a Voltage display for my stereo, i saw the CB was open. The ACR protected my main battery from being drained. I closed the CB and the ACR switched over and charged my stereo bank and never put me in risk of a dead starting battery.

Jet
05-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Im going to need a diagram on this guys?? Help I can find a bunch on the internet but I figured we would have one for ours boats that someone already have done. Help!!

mm, you let book bag people on your boat?? lol

dusty2221
05-21-2012, 11:30 AM
I did this over the winter. Some of it may apply to you. There may have been some adjustments after this was done, but I think it will help get you moving. Off the top of my head, I know I moved the + that runs to the + bus under the helm was moved from the stereo bank to the common post on the Perko. I did this so that when the switch is off EVERYTHING is off. How the diagram shows it, when the Perko was off, anything powered by the bus at the helm still had power.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?15150-Everything-wired-to-stereo-bank-but-works-on-start-bank

wolfeman131
05-21-2012, 01:02 PM
hmmmm . . .

mapquest shows Sherman to McKinney is just about 1/2 hr. I bet if Jet ponied up some suds, he might convince a certain somebody to lend a hand.

Jet
05-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Oh hes only 20 mins away! lol. I can do it no problem but the problem as you can see with this thread is that there is 300 different ways to wire it and I just dont know which one to pic. :mad:

wolfeman131
05-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Even better!

So, pick the way Dusty tells you to do it. That way, if it doesn't work, he will be guilted into coming and help you troubleshoot it!

Jet
05-25-2012, 10:27 AM
OK, picked up 24' or $150 worth of 2-awg red-blk last night and a couple of wiring questions poped up. Im pretty sure I know the answer but if you go with 2-aug/positive to the amps, does the ground size 2-awg need to match the power size? Or could you go 2-awg for power and 4 for ground? Q.#2 I just went ahead and bought enough 2-awg to go from the switch to the batts but the the eng +/- will still be stock size. Is there any gain by doing this?? Or is that just NOT needed?

perko to batt 2-awg (I will be switching to the Blue-Sea Iso switch)
batt to amps 2-awg
eng to batt stk 8-awg

Razzman
05-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Jet, assuming your referring to the cable from the altenator to the battery; I would bump that up if it's truly just 8ga. Reason being is your going to be charging two batts now and imo 8ga is barely big enough to get adequate juice to one batt alone besides two. For your ground connection from batt to batt, just go to the local auto store and buy a pre-made 2ga ground cable in the approximate length you need to run between the two. It will already have terminals on it and be more than adequate for the job.

rc5695
05-25-2012, 12:08 PM
anybody post up the best price on perko & acr and where to buy? how much we talking here? I'm postoning installing my tower spkrs and amps until I have a dual set-up...thinking it'll be next year, but still curious and trying to figure out my plan ;)

Jet
05-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Ahh..good point Razz. I think I bought enough to do it all. Thanks man. Oh and RC, the blue sea switch was $149 at West Marine, but im sure amazon or someone else can beat that.

rc5695
05-26-2012, 11:31 PM
Ahh..good point Razz. I think I bought enough to do it all. Thanks man. Oh and RC, the blue sea switch was $149 at West Marine, but im sure amazon or someone else can beat that.THanks Jet

Jet
05-27-2012, 09:53 AM
This is my weekend..14569

wolfeman131
05-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Save that for the week! Get out on the water this weekend!

Jet
05-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Question #1. amps/charging system/batterys/perko switch (to be changed later to blue sea switch)/everything is 2-gauge wiring now: eng-batts-amps-perko. Im about to switch it all on. Is there any scenario or what NOT to do's that my charger will damage? Or is it totally safe?

#2 Do I need to fatten up my alt wire now?? If everything is 2- gauge, how is that little wire going to charge 2- battery's?

#3 I have heard that going to 2-batt will blow up the normal output alternator??

thanks wolfman.

Jet
05-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Updated pics!!