PDA

View Full Version : Bad battery or Bep VSR

Runnnin
05-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Hello all,

I wondered if any might have some insight into my problem.

I have two batteries (#1 Accessories, #2 Engine) with my Bep VSR set to two. A sticking bilge ran down battery #1. Replaced the bilge. I have been trying to recharge battery #1 with a few hours of cruising but the next evening always come back to a dead #1.

I also have two stinger voltage meters on the dash. Tonight, for the first time, I noted a "low" reading on the #1 battery meter even with the motor running. Usually the meter spikes up and begins charging even with the BEP VSR set to #2. The reading remained "low" until I switched to #1 & #2 on the BEP. After 20 minutes or so I put the VSR back to #2 and within a few short minutes the meter would plummet down to "low".

I've pulled battery #2 and placed on the charger. I'll have it tested before putting back in the boat tomorrow.

Does it sound possible that I have a failing BEP VSR? Any way to check this?

Thanks,

Kirk
2008 Moomba LSV

MLA
05-16-2012, 08:36 PM
1) properly charge the batteries with a battery charger (not the alternator) then have them tested. Good chance the #1 that was run down by the failed pump is toast.

2) If nothing concrete is found when charging and testing the batteries, then you need a Volt meter and test the voltage at each battery with them back in place and the engine running. If its not up to par, 13+ with engine running, then work your way back to the alternator testing on both sides of the VSR and switch along the way.

jmvotto
05-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Yep what MLA said, most likely the battery not the vsr.

Runnnin
05-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Thanks much for the input. Bad cell...two new batteries and I'm good to go.

KP

MLA
05-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Good news! Thanks for the update