PDA

View Full Version : Props

motosno963
05-15-2012, 04:06 PM
im new to the whole props and what one does what..i have my 04 outback and all we do on it is wakeboard and tube..no skiing. Soo i want to set it up the best i can with some sacs and a better prop (if i have to) is there a better prop? or should i leave it stock?

Salyers
05-15-2012, 04:12 PM
I have an Acme 913 for sale in classified section. That's what the people at nettles props told me I needed of wakeboarding/surfing. No sure if it would fit and outback though. I got it for my 09 LS but never put it on because I got a Mojo.

Hoopskier
05-15-2012, 04:44 PM
I'll throw in my .02

I have 2 props for my outback. Both props are OJ Legends, which are cast. The newer props are CNC machined which are more accurate to the specs. Both of my props are 13x13. One prop is 3 blade, the other is 4 blade. I have a preference to my 3 blade.

The 3 blade is a decent for about everything. Skiing, wakeboarding, tubing. I find my 3 blade is more fuel efficient. If you run a heavy boat most of the time, it can be a little slow on the start. I run some ballast (800#) sometimes, and still use this prop.

The 4 blade, is better for a the heavy boat. Better out of the hole. Holds slower speeds better. Uses more fuel. Little top end loss.

Purchased my boat used with 4 blade. I put a 3 blade on. Kept the 4 blade as a spare. I have switch back and forth between props and always end up back at my 3 blade. I know there are other props, the newer CNC props the are probably better all around than what I have.

motosno963
05-15-2012, 05:37 PM
ok i was just wondering bacause i see alot of people on here talk about acme props and others..i didnt know if like there was a different pitch on some and that made a better wake or do something else that would help the boat out to make wakeboarding better

jpetty3023
05-15-2012, 11:16 PM
What was the verdict on the acme 1235 on an 09 LSV. You Da Man offered me a sweet deal on his 1235 after he got the cinco blade but when we looked the 1235 didn't have a whole lot of clearance from the bottom bar of trailer. I was bummed when we decided it wouldn't safely fit

jmvotto
05-15-2012, 11:47 PM
Thought al did a test and the 1847 was the best alt for the 1235 with clearance.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

BensonWdby
05-16-2012, 07:49 AM
What is wrong with your current prop?

A good prop will run you $300-$400. Having said that - it is always wise to have a spare, just make sure you get a puller and know how to use it.

KRAK
05-16-2012, 08:38 AM
What was the verdict on the acme 1235 on an 09 LSV. You Da Man offered me a sweet deal on his 1235 after he got the cinco blade but when we looked the 1235 didn't have a whole lot of clearance from the bottom bar of trailer. I was bummed when we decided it wouldn't safely fit

Here's my ACME 1235 on my '10 LSV w/boatmate trailer. 144001440114402

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpetty3023
05-16-2012, 08:51 AM
We didn't get anymore than 1/2 inch clearance from bottom bar on my 09. Didn't actually install it just held
It up by hand

Sent from my home phone..

Hoopskier
05-16-2012, 10:21 AM
For moto's boat; in his signature is does not specify a V-drive. The V-drive and direct drive use different drive shaft sizes, 1" vs 1 1/8".

I would try what you have on the boat. Also you will want to know what you have on the boat before you change to anything else.

3 blade or 4 blade. pitch vs diameter. CNC machined vs cast. There are a few variables. Give the ACME or OJ or Nettle props a call.

bergermaister
05-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Here's my ACME 1235 on my '10 LSV w/boatmate trailer.

Hmmm- so that's what mine should be looking like...

I'd make a slight tweak to that price range and say more like $400-500. And definitely call Nettles and or Acme.with any Q's. I did yesterday - got right through to both. Amazing customer service.

wolfeman131
05-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Berg, I thought the same thing. Your boat has a lot more shaft on the backside of the strut.

Keep that on the down low tho or Dusty's Mom is going to be calling for a date with your boat.

cab13367
05-16-2012, 03:08 PM
im new to the whole props and what one does what..i have my 04 outback and all we do on it is wakeboard and tube..no skiing. Soo i want to set it up the best i can with some sacs and a better prop (if i have to) is there a better prop? or should i leave it stock?

ok i was just wondering bacause i see alot of people on here talk about acme props and others..i didnt know if like there was a different pitch on some and that made a better wake or do something else that would help the boat out to make wakeboarding better

So to answer your questions, going with a lower pitch prop increases your holeshot (low end) but you lose some top speed (top end), everything else being equal. Sounds like you are not using any ballast yet? Once you start using ballast and you feel your boat struggling to get up on plane when trying to pull a boarder up, then that's when it's time to start shopping for a different prop.

At that point, call places like Nettles or Wakemakers and they can help you choose the correct prop for your specific application.

Hope that helps.

motosno963
05-16-2012, 03:50 PM
ok sounds good..my outback is a direct drive..as of right now i dont have sacs in the boat but im planning on getting one or two just to see how she works with them. Also im guessing the 3 blade prop on my boat is stock. im also not to worried about top speed, from where we launch and wakeboard is not that far away..i know the outback is more for skiing, i didnt know tis at the time i bought it, soo im trying to make it the best wake/surf boat i can with the little money i have haha

JPAGE
05-17-2012, 09:29 AM
ok sounds good..my outback is a direct drive..as of right now i dont have sacs in the boat but im planning on getting one or two just to see how she works with them. Also im guessing the 3 blade prop on my boat is stock. im also not to worried about top speed, from where we launch and wakeboard is not that far away..i know the outback is more for skiing, i didnt know tis at the time i bought it, soo im trying to make it the best wake/surf boat i can with the little money i have haha

This is what i would do if i was you. Go buy the sacs you want for your Outback. Load it up with normal amount of people and fill the sacs. See how the prop you have now does. If the engine is struggling to get out of the hole and pull up a boarder then you know it's time to look at buying a ACME. After you determine you need a different prop take a look at what you have now and gather up some info: Boat weight full load, engine HP and the max WOT RPMs the prop you have now will turn. Call Acme and talk to Bill Weaks he will enlighten you about props... Then call Nettle props. I have two Inboard boats a 2011 LSV and a 1980 Mako 236 and both boats run Acme props. I switched both from the OJ's that were on there. I can honestly say there is no comparison. Cadillac of props. Smooth as butter. CNC machined props are light years ahead of cast props.

kaneboats
05-17-2012, 09:33 AM
I agree with most of above for V-drives. But I'll also say that on my 2000 Outback LS the best all around prop was the OJ 13 x 13 stock prop. It would push the boat 46-47 MPH at top end. It had great hole shot for skiing. And I could load 1400 lbs. of ballast in it and surf no problem. You might find a prop slightly better for a single application but that particular prop works for everything on an Outback.

Mikey
05-17-2012, 09:19 PM
I agree as well on the above comment as i run a stock 13x13 3 blade prop CNC OJ prop,factory ordered. We mostly ski,wakeboard and a little surfing and we have no problems shy of burning way more fuel during surfing ,but i'm sure thats pretty common.

Try what you have,and or talk to the prop experts ,before buying. Having a spare prop is a good thing to have though just the same. As i' was told right at purchase its not a matter of if,....just a matter of when. Hopefully when never comes but i have a spare just the same.

motosno963
05-18-2012, 05:45 PM
ill see what happens..thanks guys

usaski1
05-21-2012, 09:53 PM
replaced a bent 13x13 OJ (stock) with a 13x12 Acme... both 3 blade. Acme rocks.. CNC is smoother, and I just got my motor aligned.. it feels awesome... like better than new right now. It definitely has more out of the hole than stock.. (I think my motor was always a little miss aligned).

bbyquist
05-23-2012, 01:14 AM
Moto -
I have an LS and absolutely LOVE the ACME 913. We often surf with the stock gravity III tanks full plus an extra 1100 to 1500 lbs of bags. The 913 is smooth and pulls really hard even with all that weight, where the stock LS prop would shudder and struggle at times. This prop only loses 2-3 mph on the top end but offered a lot more bottom end and seems to be easier on gas. Just FYI in case you ever load that thing up for surfing.

motosno963
05-23-2012, 02:13 AM
nice..i just looked at mine and i have a 4 blade OJ903? i think was the last number..she has some dings in her ( probably from the canal and some small twigs and logs)..i dont know how good that prop is for what i want ha

motosno963
05-17-2013, 02:41 PM
just an update.. i picked up a 1000lbs fat seat and plan on getting another big bag.. when i told nettles that i was planning on having about 2k lbs of ballast he suggested i run the ACME 543 3 blade prop so i picked that up around Aug- sept of last year after i hit a log and bent my shaft and strut

THSEADOO
06-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Does anyone know what the standard prop that comes on the 2008 LSV is?

dhub
07-18-2013, 12:19 PM
I have been trying to fallow what will be the best prop. I have a 08 moomba outback v. it has the stock gavity 3 ballast. with just that the boat pulls up fine, but add 8 people and it does not like getting on plane at all. Nettle's told me a 1235 would be best. Any thoughts on what that would do for the boat, top end speed, hole shot, and if it will clear the boat mate trailer? Thanks.

kaneboats
07-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Run a search on "prop test" or "prop testing". There were 2-3 real good threads on this in the last 2 years.

Edit: You can start here:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?15139-Prop-Test-Results-Part-2&highlight=prop+test

dhub
07-18-2013, 04:05 PM
thanks, i am now interested in the 1847. I came to the understanding that the 1235 might be a little bit of overkill.

motosno963
07-18-2013, 04:17 PM
never hurts to go a little overkill..they you know if you add more that your prop can still handle it

Stazi
07-19-2013, 11:15 AM
I have a 2004 Mobius LS Direct Drive and went with the ACME 543 (13.00X11.50VL3B 1.00" bore, .080" cup, three blade, nibral). My boat came with with the 4-blade OJ 13x13 and the 543 is so much better, especially if you surf. I gave up a little top end speed with the 543, but it's perfect for wakeboarding and surfing with a lot of ballast.

kaneboats
07-20-2013, 11:45 AM
That's a good point. Some people believe the more pull the better. Others don't want to give up top end, especially if they ski at 35 or try to barefoot or anything like that. I'm in the middle. We surf but don't run all that much weight. I like the top end because sometimes I open her up and run 8-10 miles back down river when storms come in. Nice to be able to run up to around 38 or so. So, the best advice is to figure out what you want to do and then do your research and get the right prop for you.