PDA

View Full Version : Carb engine

silverski
06-27-2005, 09:07 AM
I have to admit.... I was cheap. I saw the posts before buying my LSV this winter that talked up the EFI engine. I thought it was not worth the $1,000 or so. Now I am really regretting it.

I have gotten used to having to let the engine warm up before take off. But this weekend I dropped the boat into the water and was driving up to the dock to pick up the rest of the crew. Came up to the dock fairly fast but expected to kick it into reverse and stop short of the dock. The engine died and I hit the dock with an audience. I'm left with a damaged ego and some scratches.

Also, when I shut the engine off after it is warm and mess around getting set up to ski, the engine often won't start again without reving up the engine.

I am bringing the boat in for 20 hour service but not really sure that I have anything to ask service to do related to the engine. Starts fine, runs smooth, and my guess is that both of these problems wouldn't be there with fuel injected. Or, is there some adjustment that can be done to get past this?

For those considering a new boat, my advice is to spring for EFI. I wish that the manufacture wouldn't even have it as an option for tight wads like me to consider.

Shoemaker Mobius
06-27-2005, 09:31 AM
I too wish I had the EFI or MPI engine instead of the carb. However, for what its worth, since we hit over the 20 hour point, the engine has gotten much smoother and will idle well very quickly after initial starting. We are now approaching 100 hours and I doubt if an EFI or MPI engine is much better. We used to back the trailer down, double pump the throttle and then need to apply throttle to "catch" the engine to start it. Then we would let it idle at medium throttle for about 60 seconds, rev it a bit and then we could set the throttle position to neutral and it would continue to idle at that setting so we could put the boat in reverse to back off the trailer without the engine dying. Now, we back the trailer in, one pump of the throttle, turn the key it starts right up. Rev it just a bit and put it in neutral, idling just fine. Then we back off the trailer and we're on our way.

The other difficulty that just doesn't happen anymore is that before when we would be out boarding and shut off the engine to change riders, the engine restart was about 50% of the time just turning the key. The other 50% I'd have to push the clutch button in and use the throttle to "catch" the engine to start it. Now, knock on wood, it starts just by turning the key pretty much all the time.

One more thing, our boat sits in a storage yard on the trailer outside year round. Sometimes we don't take it to the lake for weeks on end. Even then, with some hours on the engine, the engine fires right up the first time and idles like a dream.

Long story short, I too would only go with an injected engine, but while the carb engine seems to need some hours to loosen up, once that happens it seems to be a solid, easy starting, easy running engine

Buttafewcoe
06-27-2005, 09:39 AM
I like my carb engine, too. Run you some "Sta-bil" or carb cleaner every tank or every other tank of gas, and it should be trouble free for a long time.
Hope this helps.
BTW......has anyone tried any octane booster in these motors?
Jim

smokedog2
06-27-2005, 09:43 AM
You will learn how to fuss with it and be fine.

I had a long talk with a guy with a 1990 Ski Nautique DD he bought new. He had every thing pulled and was redoing the entire interior and steering. He was a long time mechanic and always runs synthetic oil. I will be swapping over at my next oil change.

Once you get the carb adjusted you will be fine but they can be fussy.
fuss with it. So far MPI not even a hickup.

SD2

silverski
06-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the replies. I look to be in exactly the same position Shoe was in. It's encouraging to hear it gets better. I will also try some stabilizer and see if that helps.

Thanks

BLKOUTLS
06-27-2005, 06:00 PM
Silverski,
what kind of gas are you running in your boat.87,89 or premium? here in the great midwest we support the farmers with 10percent corn crap (ethanol).I have found the carbs seem not to appreciate the finer blends "premium " but either a blended mix of 87,89 or 89 mid grade . I have been also changing my fuel filter every 20 hrs or so.

chris