PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Line or Pump??

esteven
05-15-2012, 12:22 AM
We have had the boat for 6 years. We replaced the fuel pump last year and it ran fine until we went to get it out this year and now it is acting strange. When we first turn it on it will generally run idle fine but then to give it gas makes the whole thing shut off. No matter how much gas we give it it always shuts off. It will run for about 20 seconds before it shuts off. It shuts off quicker if we floor the gas as opposed to just giving it a little gas. We also are having a hard time locating the fuel line. Please help we are totally at a loss!! Thanks!

bergermaister
05-15-2012, 01:12 AM
Hi Esteven and welcome to the forum. Some details on your boat and engine will help you to get some more detailed feedback and suggestions where to start and where to look.

What year, model, DD or Vdrive, engine (injected or carb) etc.?

esteven
05-15-2012, 01:21 AM
its an '04 moomba outback and there is a holley carb. those are the only details I have about it for now but can get more if needed.

maxpower220
05-15-2012, 07:57 AM
I assume that you have already replaced the fuel filter. Have you done any work to the carb?

esteven
05-15-2012, 08:21 AM
We are having a hard time finding the fuel filter??any ideas where it's located??

mmandley
05-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Most of the time its located between the tank and pump. Its normaly a small round cylinder about inch and a half in diamiter and 3 inches long. Just has slip on ends for the fuel line.

Other wise since you know where the Pump is, follow that line back to the tank and you should run into a filter. Or since its a carb, there might also be one right as the line runs into the carb as well. The last carb i had was a Rodchester Quadrajet and it had a small filer that was in the screw in housing of the actual fuel line.

motosno963
05-15-2012, 05:21 PM
i had this happen to me last year..it would idle fine then u give it gas and it would just die..i replaced the fuel filter..its in the back under the sun pad bench thing..u open ur back bench and u unscrew the floor in the storage area and u will see the fuel tank and you will see the filter near the tank( if i was home i would take some pics) and i had to go to a diesel shop to get a new filter..i replaced that filter and the fuel pump..and the carb is fuel injected..we also took the fuel sprayers out of the top of the carb and cleaned those out..and so far (as of last summer) she was running mint

motosno963
05-15-2012, 05:31 PM
when i took my fuel filter to west marine and showed them they looked at me like i was crazy and didnt think that my filter came out of my boat, come to find out they didnt have one..looked up the part number online and i found out it was a pre fuel filter for a diesel application..ohh well it works fine for me haha..also when i did take it out i tapped it on the ground and there was some nice pieces of rust that came out..good thing i replaced it

esteven
05-15-2012, 08:34 PM
checked the fuel filter and the gas flows through just fine. Completely at a loss....

mmandley
05-15-2012, 08:41 PM
checked the fuel filter and the gas flows through just fine. Completely at a loss....

Are you sure its full flow. Just because you can breath threw a straw doesnt mean you can survive breathing threw it all day.

You could be getting flow threw it, but when demand is placed on it, it might be cloging up or not have enough flow.
Basically with a Carb you have a float bowl, when you stomp the gas the carb empties that float bowel and the fuel pump isnt able to refill it in time. THis is why you get a 20 second run then die.

Your on the right track, i agree you have a fuel flow problem.

motosno963
05-15-2012, 09:42 PM
if he has the same motor as my 04 outback its fuel injected..the filter is only like 10 bucks..i would replace it anyways if it looks rusted on the inside..and i would pull the injectors out of the top..it looks like a carb but its fuel injected..(right under the little indmar plastic cover) and shoot some carb cleaner in those to clean them out too

T100
05-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Hey this also happened to me on my 04 Mobius LSV, replaced fuel pump and filter, on change. Search" oil pressure switch " here on this forum, that was the problem with mine.
Let us know if this is it.
Cheers

Mikey
05-17-2012, 09:27 PM
For peace of mind and 10 dollars i'd replace the filter. If your boat is similar its behind a panel at the back in the ski compartment,just above the fuel tank.

esteven
05-20-2012, 01:57 PM
We have now changed the fuel filter and replaced all the spark plugs and still have the same problem...

T100
05-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Esteve, Have you looked at replacing the Oil Pressure Switch?

esteven
05-24-2012, 07:21 AM
Finally just broke down and took it to Atlanta marine and it took them 24 hrs to fix the fuel pump switch or something along those lines...they say it is fixed. We have not put it in the water yet...

KSmith
05-24-2012, 07:44 AM
Finally just broke down and took it to Atlanta marine and it took them 24 hrs to fix the fuel pump switch or something along those lines...they say it is fixed. We have not put it in the water yet...

Surely you jest, no way can I see them charging you 24 hours of shop time to fix the fuel pump switch which I suspect means the oil pressure switch... what is the shop rate now, 115? That's over 2700 bucks to fix the switch, no way...

Salyers
05-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Yeah I hope he means that they only had the boat for 24 hours! That's got to be it.

T100
05-24-2012, 04:21 PM

This is what they replaced - oil pressure switch/fuel pump switch, sorry I should have put up a picture for you on the first post. :(