PDA

View Full Version : 98 Outback Aerial Assault Tower Install

outback98
05-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Here's a quick pick of the tower I installed this weekend on my Outback. It is the Black Assault from Aerial. Got it from H2osportswarehouse.com for $1200 shipped. It is all-in-all a good tower. I had to fix a couple little things on it. The instructions on the other hand....:o The tower came with no instructions. I went to there site and it had very vague instructions that basically said drill holes and install tower, and the hardware was the old style. Anyway, I figured it out and it looks great! I'll get some better pics later.

keehr22
05-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Sweet, someone else with some recent experience. I've got the Aerial Freeride tower in my garage right now, getting ready to start installation soon. Any quick tips that you can think of, that weren't mentioned in the instructions? Also, did you install backer plates behind the mounts? I've got some 1/2 treated ply already cut, I figured on sandwiching liquid nails between wood and hull, bolting mounts tight, then epoxying the plates to the hull..

outback98
05-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Looks like your heading in the right direction. I almost bought that tower! Make sure you measure and have someone else re-measure for concurence. It's hard to find a good reference point on these boats cause they're so round, not many body lines. I measured from the rub rail on the height and thats no problem. The length measurement is the problem. I went from the center of the bow.
Anyway, yes, 1/2" treated ply with liquid nail is what I used. You should have it pretty easy since you only have 2 mounts in the back. I cut my pieces 4"x 12" and they fit fine. I drilled my holes in the hull and in the backing plates. Then I put on the liquid nail on the backing plate, ran the bolts through and snugged them, and let it set up. After it was set up I put the sides of the tower on. Mine had hard, curved rubber spacers for between the tower and the hull. I put the bolt through the hull and backing plate, and put the aluminum 2" round washer, then the lock-nut.
Make sure you have at least one other person, 2 more if you can. The more hands to help hold stuff the better. It took me and a friend a full Saturday to do it and clean up the boat after. Hit me up if you have anymore questions!

outback98
05-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Oh yeah, make sure you use some blue painters tape around where the tower is going to mount so you don't scratch up the gelcoat and get a grinding ball for your drill to belvel the hole so the gel coat doesn't crack. When you go to drill the hole, run the drill in reverse. Drilling gel coat is like cutting butter. If you don't want a lot of mess, get a shop vac and suck up the dust as you drill. Also, go on youtube and search "Samson tower install". It is a 2 part video and the guy doing the install is very knowledgable.

keehr22
05-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Right on, thanks for the tips. I did some drilling this week installing a few pop-up cleats, blue tape works great, and helps keep the bit from creeping initially. I'm doing a test fit tonight with the tower before drilling the rear mounts, with the forward sweep on the Freeride I need to figure out the best location and height for it.

Did you install the nav light on top of the tower? If so, how'd you run your wiring, left or right side, etc?

outback98
05-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Ha! The nav light is a challenge for another day! I am actually giong to run speaker and power wire at the same time so I don't have to do it twice. I haven't ordered it yet, but will probably in the next week or so. If you find a good way let me know!

keehr22
05-16-2012, 09:40 AM
The online directions you speak of...were written by someone with english as a second language! Made some progress yesterday, should be able to start drilling and mounting tonight.

Running those wires should be interesting, as theres no tube that runs all the way down to the mounts, it'll have to run externally around the junction points I guess..

keehr22
05-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Quick FYI, I've read that the black powdercoating on these towers has a tendency to fade quickly. I've had good luck with this 2 part aerosol clear coat on motorcycle tanks, goes on even with minimal overspray, and hardens well. Will give the black finish some UV protection.

http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm

outback98
05-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I put a quick coat of wax on the tower yesterday. Don.t have time to clear it this summer, maybe in the winter. It's stored under cover so hopefully that will help.

parrothd
05-21-2012, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the heads up! I put a quick coat of wax on the tower yesterday. Don.t have time to clear it this summer, maybe in the winter. It's stored under cover so hopefully that will help.

Got the same tower, except in chrome, get the quick release knobs if you plan on taking it down, the bimini is huge!

https://picasaweb.google.com/112124721039275597736/1998SeadooChallenger1800#5744032850683447554

outback98
05-21-2012, 10:11 AM
I actually ordered them on Friday. It's a pain taking out those capscrews every time. Nice little boat by the way!

outback98
06-14-2012, 11:03 AM
Here's a couple pics of the tower on the water. Still waiting for the other rack.

KSmith
06-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Looking good

wolfeman131
06-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Real good! Nice restoration.

98Roo
06-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Looks great! I am considering putting a tower on mine, maybe the airborne or assault and I would like the bimini too.

keehr22
06-15-2012, 11:33 AM
I like it, that tower fits the moombas real well.

outback98
06-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks guys! I'll try to get some better pics soon. It's hard doing anything with a 2 year old maniac running around trying to jump off the boat and the dock! My wife was holding him down with one hand and snaping a pic with her iphone with the other.

wolfeman131
06-18-2012, 09:14 PM
You got ropes on the boat, don't ya? They can be used for more than tying off to the dock.