PDA

View Full Version : BALLAST FITTINGS POPPING OUT

chpprpilot
06-27-2005, 07:56 AM
I have an 05 XLV with the gravity games package and my rear ballast bags have been spitting out the ballast fittings since day one. I've tried everything from torquing them down to putting thread tape on the fitting threads. It appears as though the fittings are a smaller size than the bag threads.
I just had to pull my boat off the lake with sunset BUTTER water because I had to drop the rope, pop my board off, swim to the boat and play with those fittings...again.
Moomba: Any suggestions? My dealer just shrugs them off. I'm about to apoxy the darn things on there so I don't have to waste any more of my time on this.
I spend too much time during the week waiting for the planets to align so that I can be on some calm water enjoying my Moomba for things like this to ruin it.

Yellowmobius
06-27-2005, 08:10 AM
Possibly a good coat of silicon. It might work and if you ever need to back them out you still could.
Epoxy will be perm but it would work, I would try silicon if it is still a problem, JB weld!

SoTX
06-27-2005, 08:27 AM
I too have an 05 XLV with the Gravity Games Package and I am having the three balast sytem installed. How much does each rear balast weigh when fully filled with water?

Brian Raymond
06-30-2005, 08:20 AM
The 16x16x30 bags in the rear hold 275 lbs. each. The 16x16x70 bag in the front holds 650 lbs. Brian Raymond

Buttafewcoe
06-30-2005, 08:52 AM
My Outback has the single 'fly-high' bag under the bench seat in the back. Brian, while you're looking up stats, can you tell me how much it weighs when filled? Thank you in advance.
Jim
North Carolina

Brian Raymond
07-01-2005, 07:50 AM
The single 8x15x62 bag holds 275 lbs. Brian Raymond

Buttafewcoe
07-01-2005, 07:58 AM
Thanks man...have a hearty one this 4th:p

chpprpilot
07-01-2005, 08:03 AM
Brian,

So back to the initial post; What's up with the fittings blowing out? I have the Fly High side sacks in my 05 XLV. I understand there is also another type of bag installed in some XLV's. Is it possible that these fittings are not the same size? There have been other posts here for the same problem. I'd really hate to permanently attach those fittings to the bag but it's getting pretty frustrating.

Aquaholic
07-02-2005, 09:29 AM
Hello Friends I can tell you that I HAVE experienced the same thing with my 05 xlv but I have since remedied the problem. The problem with the ballast is not the fittings at least not with my boat. I have the factory provided fat sacks or fly hi/barefoot international. The fix/problem is that the fill line is to short. By lenghtning the line the bag can fully fill. On my boat both bags would get 3/4 full and the lines would pull out of the bags. My first action was i removed the back black plastic wall and put a raduis in the plastic where the little notch the factory made (side note my lines were crempt/crushed coming through what sc had done) with a role of tape as my out line and my jigsaw, just a small semi-circle about 2 and a half tall at the highest point, it just gives the line some movement plus it looks good and looks oem. when that did'nt give me the needed length I went in the transmission cover and if you are looking towards the back of boat the valves from left to right. I reversed the middle fill hose(right bag fill line) and the far right valve(front bag fill line)by swapping these to lines I gained about 10 inches of additional line, just remember to also reverse or swap the electrical plugs as well or the fill/empty switches will be reversed. As for the left bag I had to cut the tie raps to get the extra length and then re-tie rap the hoses and stuff. I pointed this out to the dealer and they just gave me lip service about putting the boat in the water is checking themselves. Problems is that had they check it would have been more than obvious and I would not have had to put on my re-engineer hat. Anyway I have gone on to add two 750lbs for each side because we are waake surfing and HOLLY #%*& what a wake we make now!!!! And if you put the 1500 lbs together on one side Fa-getta-bout it.!!! Is colossal-giant-bathicus a word, well it is on my lake!!

Aquaholic

chpprpilot
07-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Sounds like a good fix. I'll see if that's what's causing mine to pop out as well. I'd thought about a few ways to re-engineer the system or the fittings to make it work, but this is a brand new boat with less than 50 hours on it and a full warranty. As good a job you did making it work I can't help but think that after spending over 40K on this boat I shouldn't have to home engineer stuff for a while...

clark
07-07-2005, 10:15 AM
I had a similar problem with my 05 LSV bags, but a little different. The other day I was on the water and have always had to start the boat moving before turning on the pumps to prime them. After my sons first run, I notice the bilge spitting quite a bit of water. Looked in the engine compartmet and saw a good bit of water. Started looking and noticed that both rear bags were spitting out water in the rear compartments. the connectors were still attached to the fitting, but the screw-in fitting connector had come out of the bags. I just disconnected the quick-connect, screwed them back in, and the problem was corrected. I am not sure but think that while I was filling the bags, I had boat up to speed, causing too much pressure and blew them off. Does this sound right. Does anyone fill their bags while at cruising speeds or only at low speeds just to prime them. I don't want this to happen again.

Clark

chpprpilot
07-07-2005, 02:50 PM
I can't say why mine are popping off. I plan to take some time and experiment a little with the ballast filling and after having been filled. I'd kinda like to spend my time boarding...but somebody needs to get to the bottom of this. The bottom line is that they pop off a couple of times each day for whatever reason, usually right about the time the water turns to butter and I'm in the water. If there's some precaution I need to take regarding the filling of the ballast or the positioning of the bag I'd love to hear it from Moomba. I'll do whatever I have to do. I just don't want to go rigging something up which might void the warranty.