PDA

View Full Version : CLEANING CARPET

Gharvin
06-27-2005, 07:27 AM
I was trying to vacuum the carpet in the new moomba over the weekend and it did not cooperate to well. Are there any tricks anyone knows of to clean the carpet??? Also does anyone wash the inside of their boat or do you just wipe it down with 409 or something??

It may be a stupid question, but I have never had a boat with carpet or nice vinyl!:)

qb12
06-27-2005, 08:29 AM
I use a small brissell carpet cleaner and it works very well.

in regards to 409 DO NOT USE. It cleans the vinyl well but will eat away at the stitching. I used and and had to replace the whole back pad. Since then I have been using 3M vinyl cleaner and protectant and sometimes use fantastick.

Doug, Tulsa

mobiusLSV05
06-27-2005, 02:56 PM
I was told not to use any of the above mentioned products, unless you want to replace your dried out and cracked vinyl a few years down the road. Use only 303 on the vinyl( blue bottle) Also do not store boat wet boat with any vinyl touching any other vinyl breeding ground for mildew. As for the carpet, I use a shop vac with the bristle head on it -- seems to work good on the mat of the carpet.

qb12
06-27-2005, 03:10 PM
mobiuslsv05, that long.

anyway my neighbor has a mastercraft and in the manual it shows wha is acceptable for the vinyl and what is not. 409 NOT, Fantastic is listed a okay.

i do like the 303 also.

Buttafewcoe
06-28-2005, 01:54 PM
I use Fantastic also........works pretty good for cleaning about anything. It is listed as ok for use (according to the manufacturer)
Hope this help
Jim

mmobius2001
06-30-2005, 10:46 PM
i use fantastic followed by a vinyl protectant, vinylex or 303. i want to try that 3M stuff but cant find where its sold.

as far a carpet, i use a little hand held vacum and it works fine, if there is a stain i use Blue Corral Dri-Clean, spray it, scrub it w/ brush, then re-vacum.

i want to steam clean next time i take it out of the water, but havent got that far yet.

is it just me or do you guys get sick of when water/rain gets in the boat, and you clean off your boat, but when you left the seats up that nasty green mildew dirty crap gets in between the cusions!

qb12
07-01-2005, 10:17 AM
mmobius2001,

The 3M vinyl cleaner is avail at walmart. It works very well and is a lot cheaper than the 303.

Doug, Tulsa

Catdog1
07-01-2005, 11:40 AM
We strip out everything, shop vac it when dry if possible.

Then, we soak the carpet with water.

We use a solution of gain or tide and bleach and warm water, several gallons fairly strong, and scrub in into the carpet everywhere with fairly stiff brushes.

Then we rinse with copius amounts of water. Then, wet vac where we can. Then sun-dry it.