PDA

View Full Version : Quad?

Replicant
05-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Experts, need your opinion. I bought an Inland Surfer Red Rocket last spring and used it all summer. Loved it. No issues, awesome board. Question is, it is set up with four boxes for a quad. I am only running two fins. Is it worth running four? What is the advantage? Is there more drag?

wolfeman131
05-12-2012, 11:57 PM
A quad setup usually gets you more drive down the line so you can build up speed for when you carve back up the wave to get some air. The twin setup will allow the board to be a bit looser for slashing and spinning.

Take this all with a grain of salt, as I can't get the air I see in videos and my spin attempts result in the boat having to turn around.

Replicant
05-13-2012, 01:56 AM
Ok, makes sense. Not sure if I will get into slashing and spinning at my height and weight. I appreciate the information.

Thanks,

Erik.

in the bubble
05-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Correct answer

bergermaister
05-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Wow - more fins = more speed. I would have thought the opposite, the extra drag would slow you some? Hmmm.

Replicant
05-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Wow - more fins = more speed. I would have thought the opposite, the extra drag would slow you some? Hmmm.

That was my concern as well. The Rocket is pretty fast, so not too much of a concern. I think I will try the full set and keep my eye out for a skim style board for the youngsters. One of my nephew's is a surfer and with some work was doing 360's pretty regularly with the Red Rocket. It was the first time that he had ever surfed behind a boat.

bergermaister
05-14-2012, 02:01 PM
I'm riding an IS Squirt with just the two short outside fins. I plan to get more of a surf style board soon but in the meantime may add a middle fin to the squirt and see what it feels like - wonder if that will make it feel faster. Great board but probably already too fast for kiddos.

lsvboombox
05-14-2012, 09:06 PM
I am riding the Swallow v2 with quad fins. Big boys and mini me's.. Super fast setup. Love the quad fins

jmvotto
05-14-2012, 10:12 PM
I am riding the Swallow v2 with quad fins. Big boys and mini me's.. Super fast setup. Love the quad fins

I bought the same one,have yet to ride it, I think I have the stck setup for fins o may need to add the quad setup.