PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Stuck!!

AusFire
05-11-2012, 02:28 AM
Hey All,

Just a quick one, had my boat (07 Outback) out of the water for a couple of weeks now, just went to clean it up to be stored for the winter months and noticed the steering wont turn, at all. I don't want to force it in case of stretching or snapping the cable. I also don't want to break anything that will cost me a bucket load.

Anyone have this problem before, if so whats the quick fix, or is it a mechanics job. I have the boat booked in soon for its 100hr service and am planning to get some other things checked.

Should I leave it to the mechanic or try and fix myself?? If Mechanics, how much would be the norm to fix?

Cheers in advance!! Sorry if its a repeat post, I did a search and nothing else showed.

wolfeman131
05-11-2012, 09:18 AM
can you not turn the steering wheel and/or have you tried to turn the rudder itself from under the boat?

I don't think you've had it out of the water too long after it was last working correctly, have you?

Some have had the cable rust up internally. On the Outback, it appears to be a fairly easy process to replace yourself once you get the correct cable in hand. Some have also had luck drilling into the outer sleeve of the cable and getting some lubricant to the cable to get it loosened up.

Keep searching as both processes have been detailed by others.

AusFire
05-11-2012, 09:49 AM
can you not turn the steering wheel and/or have you tried to turn the rudder itself from under the boat?
Tried both, nothing

I don't think you've had it out of the water too long after it was last working correctly, have you?

Some have had the cable rust up internally. On the Outback, it appears to be a fairly easy process to replace yourself once you get the correct cable in hand. Some have also had luck drilling into the outer sleeve of the cable and getting some lubricant to the cable to get it loosened up.

Keep searching as both processes have been detailed by others.

Cheers for the reply mate!!

wolfeman131
05-11-2012, 10:07 AM
OK, then start by trying to isolate and determine if it's the cable or rudder. Unhook the cable from the rudder then try and move the rudder by the arm the cable attached to or from under the boat. If that moves fine, then I'd say you have a cable that if locked up.

Try to move the steering wheel with the cable unhooked, but don't turn the wheel too far or you'll end up pulling the cable into the protective sheath. Attach something to the end and/or have someone watch while another turns the wheel.

There are others that are much more educated on this than me, so hopefully they will chime in soon.

wolfeman131
05-11-2012, 10:10 AM
this is for a v-drive

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?16681-Steering-cable-replacement-04-XLV-Gravity&highlight=steering+cable

use the advanced search @ the toip right of the forum & search "steering cable" and you'll get a lot of info.

moombadaze
05-12-2012, 11:12 AM
for some reason is the rudder touching the trailer? sounds strange to have it seize up so fast

AusFire
05-13-2012, 07:23 AM
for some reason is the rudder touching the trailer? sounds strange to have it seize up so fast

Not touching and no marks indicating that. I did get some water in the boat at the start of last season, Bung problem, the cable may have been submerged. Has been a bit sticky on first turn of wheel prior to use over summer, mainly when it has sat for a couple of weeks. I'm thinking some salt water got in the cable and its slowly corroding the cable, maybe if all you guys are leaning toward cable. Whats a good price for one of these over there, it will give me an idea of what it will cost here, same price but 150 % markup for shipping, lol.

Ian Brantford
05-30-2012, 07:06 PM
The 20' model of steering cable that I got for my XLV is $178. https://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TELSSC15420. I do not know if that is the correct one for your Outback, but it's a pricing example.

I tried and failed to get a (cobalt-tipped) drill bit through the cable's sheath. So, replacement was the only option.

My local marine mechanic explained that you can get sudden failures as rust or contaminant particles reach a critical level and get jammed in one spot (having previously been spread over a greater length of cable).