PDA

View Full Version : Helmets??

E4NASH
05-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Do any of you guys wear them? Are there any benefits to wearing one other than to protect your melon from hitting the board?

The reason I ask is because last summer I took a real hard fall and ended up with a concussion. I didn't hit the board or anything it must've just been how I hit the water. Then, this year, the last time we went out I caught my heelside edge and fell backwards and I really felt the fall in my head. I assume that this will be an ongoing problem. If I start wearing a helmet will it help absorb these impacts and help make it so I don't worry so much about falling and whether or not my head is going to hurt or get hurt?

I don't do any crazy tricks or anything just really learning to ride. I ride at about 21mph and I can go regular heelside wake to wake and that is about as 'big' as I can go right now. However I feel like the fear of falling and my head hurting is preventing me from progressing. I can't ride switch at all and I fall everytime I try and work on it...sometimes the falls are tough. I know that is REALLY holding me back. In just the few times we went last year my riding improved dramatically. There was a noticable difference from the first ride of the season to the last, or so I was told. So, I'd really like to get over this hurdle/fear and see how far I can take my riding this season.

*Note* For any of you real or internet Doctors out there the concussion I received last year was my second physician diagnosed concussion I've had in my life. The first one was about 15 years ago. I doubt that matters since they are so far apart...

KSmith
05-10-2012, 08:49 AM
I have a helmet and wear it on the occassions I know I am going to bite it, which turns out is quite often LOL. I have had some bad hits on the water as well and had my bell rung... so I bought a helmet. I think is does soften the blow to the head. It does help me with my fear factor.

I also got heat moldable mouth guard (like we used to wear for football) as I have had my teeth smashed together pretty hard during some of these wicked wipeouts... had a filling knocked out once so thought it'd be cheaper that fixin teeth.

sandm
05-10-2012, 08:51 AM
personally, I don't. never really thought about it. i'm not a great wakeboarder and sliding wake to wake is probably the most I'll ever do at my "young" age..

that being said, my cousin is a very accomplished boarder. he's been riding for 15 years or so. he will not wear one when going out and just kickin it riding with family or a quick spin, but when he's with the normal crew or trying new tricks, he always wears one. he said it makes the falls that much easier to take. I know that he spent some coin on a good helmet.

KSmith
05-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Yeah, the Poll should include a Sometimes option. I don't wear my helmet if I am just carving it up and playing around, but when I know I am going to try something that for me could end up coming to an abrupt and painful end I wear it.

Edit: The helmet I got I made sure had the ear covers as two or three years ago I took a wicked hard hit to the right side of my head, directly on the ear. That sucked and I had ear infections for about a year afterwards, really messed me up. SO my hope is the ear flap will help prevent that if I hit like that again.

E4NASH
05-10-2012, 09:00 AM
ok, maybe one of the mods can step in and add "Sometimes" to the poll.

I think I may pick one up and see if that helps with the fear factor and softens the crashes a little...

jmvotto
05-10-2012, 09:10 AM
I have one and it helps if ring your bell wear it covered by the helmet.
It won't help the eye lid peeler falls. Aka face plants....LOL

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Ian Brantford
05-10-2012, 10:05 AM
I always wear a helmet (with ear cups) and it has definitely lessened the blow. It has saved my noggin and my hearing several times.

Even if you are just cruising at 20+ MPH, crossing the wake at 5-10 MPH means that you can get a nasty smack at any time.

The secret to whether or not a helmet is going to help (as with me) or hurt (as some people claim) appears to be whether or not it fits properly. If there is any significant play, that movement around your head could let the helmet hit you harder than the water. Two of my riders cannot get a good fit with available choices and, after getting headaches after falls with a helmet, now ride without one.

To cure "eye-openers", try these fashionable accessories: http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog.asp?P=4427

E4NASH
05-10-2012, 10:16 AM
I was thinking about grabbing this one:

http://www.ambushboardco.com/catalog/detail/2115529

ryan_8099
05-10-2012, 10:25 AM
I was thinking about grabbing this one:

http://www.ambushboardco.com/catalog/detail/2115529

I have been looking at helmets only because I will need one for the cable park and it will pay for itself vs. rental eventually. I was looking at the one you linked to there and also these because they aren't so plain.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Liquid-Force-Flash-Helmet-Rasta&i=44476&str=flash+helmet&merchID=4005
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Liquid-Force-Flash-Helmet-USA&i=44475&str=flash+helmet&merchID=4005

The only opinion I have heard is they don't really help. It seems like adding more weight to your head could potentially cause a harder fall vs actually hitting a hard object (at the cable park), but I have no experience with them so who knows.

brain_rinse
05-10-2012, 10:31 AM
I had a memory-loss concucssion 2 years ago after a bad fall, and another mild one a month later. I ride with a helmet every time out now. (edit: every time I wakeboard, not when surfing) I've taken many bad hits since that time without issue.

ShredReady helmets for me and my crew: http://www.shredready.com/products.php

brain_rinse
05-10-2012, 10:34 AM
ok, maybe one of the mods can step in and add "Sometimes" to the poll.

I think I may pick one up and see if that helps with the fear factor and softens the crashes a little...
Done. It will!

WaterBullDawg1980
05-10-2012, 10:37 AM
I have been looking at helmets only because I will need one for the cable park and it will pay for itself vs. rental eventually. I was looking at the one you linked to there and also these because they aren't so plain.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Liquid-Force-Flash-Helmet-Rasta&i=44476&str=flash+helmet&merchID=4005
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Liquid-Force-Flash-Helmet-USA&i=44475&str=flash+helmet&merchID=4005

The only opinion I have heard is they don't really help. It seems like adding more weight to your head could potentially cause a harder fall vs actually hitting a hard object (at the cable park), but I have no experience with them so who knows.

That USA helmet is AWESOME! Not sure I could pull it off, but it looks cool.

As far as helmets not really helping, don't listen to those opinions. That's ridiculous. It's very simple. A helmet is adding a hard shell around your melon for falls against water, your board, or maybe even your boat if you are someone who is very clumsy. To say that it doesn't really help is either coming from someone with too much damage to the melon or someone who has never taken board to the head with and without a helmet. THEY HELP. A LOT. If I am wakeskating, I have it on at ALL TIMES. A mouth guard is an excellent idea as well. I have a small rubber one I wear as well.

For full disclosure, I am also like Kraig. I only wear them during the needed times. Not if I am wake surfing or tubing. Yeah I said it. I enjoy an occasional pull on the tube.

ryan_8099
05-10-2012, 10:59 AM
That USA helmet is AWESOME! Not sure I could pull it off, but it looks cool.

Ha, I don't think I can pull it off either, but I just don't care. Leaning towards the Rasta one though since the colors will match a little better and the USA one is a little bit too Avengers for me (BTW, solid movie)

Either way I have to buy a helmet regardless, so I will give it a try behind the boat at some point. Good feedback forsure.

jpetty3023
05-10-2012, 11:10 AM
How bout full face protection like this one

Sent from my home phone..

E4NASH
05-10-2012, 11:20 AM

thanks for the input guys and Brain changing the options. I appreciate it!

Jason, not so much *vomit*

mmandley
05-10-2012, 11:21 AM
I have one for me and one for Claudia, i tend to wear mine anytime i know im trying new stuff, or i know i want to attempt something i think i will face plant on.

It does help as i have never had a headach after a fall, but most of the time i have worn it is when trying to jump as im not very good at jumps yet and it helps.

If i want to just wakeboard and carve it, side slide and work on my switch i generaly wont wear it.

WaterBullDawg1980
05-10-2012, 12:55 PM

I love Texas's helmets. They are in and out of my top 3 teams. Used to be solidly in there but I am absolutely hated Vince Young. And I hated when they benched Applewhite for Simms.

And of course my favorite is the "G" with "DAWG bones" on the back.
https://admin.xosn.com/pics10/0/LN/LNJIPYOKCBEXNJP.20081015204029.jpg

bergermaister
05-10-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm pretty much with you E4Nash - same riding ability, similar history of crash & burn making me a little gunshy and probably holding me back.

I almost pulled the trigger on a helmet years ago shortly after getting the boat. Then I got to thinking about how someone sees me strap on my board and helmet they'd be like "Dude, check this guy out" expecting great things.

Stupid I know, but I bagged on getting the helmet imagining guys instead deciding I needed the helmet because I rode the short bus to school after seeing me ride.

Now that I'm a little older and uh wiser??, I may have to try one if I'm going to keep riding. Only for Wakeboarding, not surfing. Tubing possibly if the woman is driving.

E4NASH
05-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Yeah, at this point I really don't care how ridiculous I may look or how disappointed others may be hoping that they may see some sick tricks or whatever...I know I don't want to feel that pain in my head again an every time I get out there and I fall I think to myself as I'm wiping out oh $*** here we go!

But totally older and wiser...if it was 10 years ago there is no way I would strap on a helmet at this ability...haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E4NASH
05-10-2012, 01:38 PM
I love Texas's helmets. They are in and out of my top 3 teams. Used to be solidly in there but I am absolutely hated Vince Young. And I hated when they benched Applewhite for Simms.

The only way to make that post more awful would be to throw in a Buckeye, Vol, or USC helmet in there!!

Now THIS is a helmet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lsvboombox
05-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Only when i ride the skyski.

jpetty3023
05-10-2012, 02:35 PM
I almost pulled the trigger on a helmet years ago shortly after getting the boat. Then I got to thinking about how someone sees me strap on my board and helmet they'd be like "Dude, check this guy out" expecting great things.

Stupid I know, but I bagged on getting the helmet imagining guys instead deciding I needed the helmet because I rode the short bus to school after seeing me ride.

Now that I'm a little older and uh wiser??, I may have to try one if I'm going to keep riding. Only for Wakeboarding, not surfing. Tubing possibly if the woman is driving.

LMAO, may be the greatest post ever and true for me to!! "Look mom a guy with a helmet and no skillz". Words from a little snot nut teenager on his dads new G23

jmvotto
05-10-2012, 03:51 PM
I have one and it helps if ring your bell wear it covered by the helmet.
It won't help the eye lid peeler falls. Aka face plants....LOL

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

sorry have to clarify.

If the wife and kids in the boat yes, hanging with the guys, Nope....
Not very smart i know...

bergermaister
05-10-2012, 04:35 PM
sorry have to clarify.

If the wife and kids in the boat yes, hanging with the guys, Nope....
Not very smart i know...

Like I was saying... You don't like the comments about licking the windows on the bus or repeatedly trying to bite your own shoulder from the boys?

yz 2smoke
05-10-2012, 04:51 PM
I may be the odd man out but I want one that covers my ears. I am more afraid of blowing out an ear drum than hitting my head on the water/board. I may have just hit my head too many times riding motocross. lol I have hit so hard that it rung my bell but so far nothing another beer wouldn’t fix.

I do plan on buying one with ear flaps.

WaterBullDawg1980
05-10-2012, 05:23 PM
As far as ear protection, I have been told these are the way to go.

For me....There isn't a chance I am wearing this clunky thing when boarding.

http://www.gathsports.com/images/upload/Gedi-blue-flame-350.jpg

jpetty3023
05-10-2012, 05:38 PM

There ya go kid!! See, there's a little undercover Longhorn love in everyone.

harmsway
05-10-2012, 08:48 PM
I've rung my bell and blacked out from falling and wished I had a helmet afterwards. And I am sure I had a concussion, took several days to get my senses back, but I still don't wear a helmet. Stupid maybe! But hell I have ripped stomach muscles, shoulder muscles, busted eardrums and multiple other injuries from skiing and wakeboarding and I don't wear body armor either.

murraymoomba
05-10-2012, 10:57 PM
I wear one while sky skiing.

KSmith
05-11-2012, 09:16 AM
I'm liking this one.

wolfeman131
05-11-2012, 09:19 AM
That, and a black latex speedo would make you the envy of Broken Bow.

bhowell
05-11-2012, 10:05 AM
It helps but it does set an undue expectation. I'm 50/50 on wearing it. Recommend it if you're catching edges a lot. If you close on what you're trying it probably won't save you much pain.

trebor-75
05-11-2012, 12:54 PM
I didnt start wearing one until last summer when I got a pretty nasty concussion. Don't remember how it happened but it was bad enough that a buddy had to drive my car home since I didnt know where I was. After that my mom wouldnt let me touch my board again until I had a helmet, but I would have bought one anyways... that scared me pretty bad.

I have caught some edges since then, and IMO it does help with that. But the main thing for me is it just makes me feel better and helps with my confidence.

saskie99
05-11-2012, 06:27 PM
I have a small head and have two helmets that fit like shit, so I have pulled out one of my hockey helmets that is a concussion preventive and even thought it is not great style it still works and fits so much better. Maybe the the redneck in me but I also always take the shitty quick lace setups out of my bindings and put waxed hockey laces in. They never come loose and look sick when the laces flying behind you.
I just ordered the new hyperlite AJ binding because they come with laces, as soon as I get them out the pink laces come and in go the white waxed hockey laces. I am not sure why nobody in the industry uses them. They are pretty much indestructible and are cheap and stay tight.

tnbrooks01
05-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Since my son started riding cable where the helmet is mandatory he has started wearing the Pro-tec (Two-face) all of the time. I am happy that we started the habit of wearing it early because he has caught a few back edges and mouse trapped which rung his bell pretty good. I'm certain that had he not been wearing a helmet it would've been bad. IMO the helmet has just enough padding and disperses enough water to take alot of the pressure off your head.

IMO money well spent.

Canuckle Head
05-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Never wore a helmet until about 2 summers ago when I took a bad fall and came to while on my back and under water. Al
though the pretty blue sky looked wicked awesome from that viewpoint, it took a few seconds for my arms to move so I could get to the surface so it wasn't a great experience let me tell you.

Didn't ride again till my helmet showed up in the mail and haven't ridden without it since. In my mind wake boarding is not a fashion show. Protect your melon! It's the only one you have!