PDA

View Full Version : Leak

DOCDRS
05-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Dropped the boat in this weekend For the first time this year and I have a very slight leak at my port side exhaust where it exits the hull. I can see two lines of water coming down the transom. So I tightened the clamps around the exhaust rubber but no success. Space and time were tight so I could not delve deeper. So I'm thinking since tightening made no difference even with moving the clamps that either the exhaust fitting has cracked , or more likely over the winter the 5200 has cracked or whatever they use to seal the fitting on the hull. I think I will silicone around the outside of the exhaust fitting and see if that stops the leak. If it does then I will remove and reseal the fitting. If it does not then I suppose I may have a cracked fitting. Any thoughts or suggestions?

evoimport6
05-09-2012, 08:47 PM
I just had the same problem. Turns out the tubing was cut to short. Becarefull because if you tighten too much it will actually pop the tube off the fitting, which could result in exhaust pouring water into your engine bay and water from the lake pouring in. Ultimately sinking.

Btw I couldn't get moomba to flinch at covering this on warranty. Check my thread in general.

Cigars n scotch
05-09-2012, 08:51 PM
How did you notice it? Did you just check inside your engine hatch after you dropped in? Just curious. I can't help in any way but I hope you get it fixed ASAP and its not too bad.

DOCDRS
05-09-2012, 09:21 PM
The exhaust tubing is right against the transom, so it's not too short. I noticed it during my engine bay inspection for leaks on starting the engine while in the water. Doesn't everyone? Right after the fluid check before you start it up. Does anyone know what the transom exhaust fittings are made of? I have not checked the fittings externally for hull tightness.....next visit

jpetty3023
05-09-2012, 09:40 PM
I did not until my little mishap this year but it's on the "things to do list" from here on out

Sent from my home phone..

rdlangston13
05-09-2012, 09:43 PM
depends on how crowded the ramp is

evoimport6
05-09-2012, 09:44 PM
I could be wrong but I think the fittings are smooth plastic. Like a pvc material.

Cigars n scotch
05-10-2012, 11:37 AM
depends on how crowded the ramp is

You couldn't get away with that at my ramp. You'd be crucified if you're sitting there checking your engine bay. Maybe if it was like 2 minutes, but when you launch or load: get in get out.

Boonejeepin
05-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Some guys are luckier thank us average joes and have private docks and lifts.

Now that's the way to do it.

jpetty3023
05-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Some guys are luckier thank us average joes and have private docks and lifts.

Now that's the way to do it.

Some day, some day I keep telling myself

Sent from my home phone..