PDA

View Full Version : Engine Noise Help me figure out what it is. Sound Clip included

SanMarzano
05-07-2012, 06:02 PM
When changing my oil this weekend I noticed a high pitched sound near the front of the engine (around the belts pump area). Anyone know if this is a normal sound or what it is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr3GOuzSu74

Mikey
05-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Sounds like possibly a worn bearing on one of the pulley drives???Any accessive wiggle on any drives ,pulleys when motor is OFF? Anyone???

mmandley
05-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Yea im gonna say a bearing is going out.

A trick i leaned a long time ago. Take the end of an old wooden broom. Or you a wooded handle off a hammer. I prefer the broom stick as its much longer. < thats what she said > i know LOL.

Cut if off about 3 or 4ft how ever long it needs to be to keep your face away from the engine. Take the rounded end and put your thump over it so your knuckel is centered and sticking up. This goes in your ear. Now take the flat cut side and as you touch it to pats on the engine the sound is transmitting like a Stethascope. It really helps to narrow down bad bearing issues. Touch the part in any seciont of the houseing the and the sound will transmit.

SanMarzano
05-08-2012, 12:18 AM
thx for the info ill have to start locating and poking around

Hoopskier
05-08-2012, 11:05 AM
I would agree with a bearing noise, like the water pump(circulation pump). Take the belt off, spin the pulleys by hand see what happens. Could also start without the belt on, see if noise is gone. Just dont run it for more than a minute or so without a belt.