PDA

View Full Version : Would I benefit from adding check valves?

bzubke1
05-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Would I benefit from adding check valves to the vent lines of my ballast bags? My understanding is if I added check valves the bags wouldn't fill with air while trailering and would empty more completely.

E4NASH
05-04-2012, 06:18 PM
I'm wondering the same thing because I have both of those problems...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmvotto
05-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Lsvboombox gave me this tip, cuz I am wondering the same thing. Put your thumb or cork in the thru hull while draining to see if it drains better. If the answer is yes, get a vent.

lsvboombox
05-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Yes yes yes.. My bags look like they were drained with a vacuum sealer after I put the check valves in

mmandley
05-04-2012, 09:57 PM
This whole thread boggles my mind. I see the point to check valves but....

Why do you even vent the bag? To allow the air out as it fills with water.
Why do you have air in there? Because its not a sealed bag due to Vents.
Why did you put the vent in there in the first place? To allow the air out that is in there because i have Vents.

Moral, if you have Vents, you should have a problem with air being traped in your bags when filling.
I have vents on all my bags and when my pumps drain there is nothing left in the bag. The only bag that gets air from driving down the road is the front due to the curved shape on the boat at the nose.

Do i run check valves? Yes 1 on the Y connector on the drain from my IBS and ski locker bag so the IBS doesnt drain into the ski locker bag when draining it.

05-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Lsvboombox gave me this tip, cuz I am wondering the same thing. Put your thumb or cork in the thru hull while draining to see if it drains better. If the answer is yes, get a vent.

Can you explain this a little better. By thru hull, do you mean the actualy spot on the side of the boat where the water drains out?

Thanks.

lsvboombox
05-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Can you explain this a little better. By thru hull, do you mean the actualy spot on the side of the boat where the water drains out?

Thanks.

On the side of the where the water would overflow thru the vent line. The water drains out the bottom. You are basically cutting off any airflow into the bags allowing to suck all air and water out.

mmandley
05-05-2012, 10:16 PM
That has never really worked for me, with the main pump being airator style i get air no matter what from the bottom threw hull to the sprinkler tree every time i pull the boat out of the water. So even if it sucked the bag dry, once i pull the boat out and put it back into the water the first time i turn the pump on it pushes all that air in the line into the bag. Thus needing the vent because the bag has air in it.

lsvboombox
05-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Yeah i dont know of the value of check valves with aerator pumps. All my info is geared to reversible pumps which is what most of the people in this thread have.

If you dont have the check valves you can insert your finger in the vent thru hull and see the amount of suction you actually get. Without check valves the pumps just suck in air and do not drain very well. Check valves are a night and day difference with reversible pumps (with vent lines)

And to the OP, i get no air in any of the 4 bags i have plumbed into my boat

05-06-2012, 12:31 AM
Mine was an 08 with the Aerator pumps so that is why it didn't make sense, my setup was different.

Thanks.