PDA

View Full Version : "I got what I paid for"

Elevated1
05-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Well, I tried to be cheap and ordered the krypt eq. I thought for $99 I wouldn't give it a try, well now my Rev's are hanging, and amp is installed and I have nothing to contol them with. So the question is what to get? Since I will be spending more money, I want to get the perfect setup. I want to be able to control the tower speakers, inboat, and sub seperate if possible. My setup is xd 700/5 amp with remote sub knob, powering 6 kickers, and jl sub, and syn 4 powering a pair of rev 10's. As always thanks for the input.

Mike

wolfeman131
05-03-2012, 08:03 PM
http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/WS-420.html

dusty2221
05-03-2012, 08:03 PM
IMO, go with a Wetsounds 420. Its the "original" and is on its 3rd or 4th version (don't quote me as I'm not certain) and is supposedly the best it has ever been.

Another option right up there is the new Exile Zld. I have no first hand experience with this one, but based on what I have read it is right inline with the 420 quality wise, with some feature differences separating them.

I was hoping to give the Zld a run this season to replace my Krypt, but I can't swing it right now.

wolfeman131
05-03-2012, 08:15 PM
IMO, go with a Wetsounds 420.

Great minds thinking alike

Cigars n scotch
05-03-2012, 09:14 PM
I have the Exile ZLD, it was just installed like 2 wks ago so I am still new to it but I freaking love it. The WS420 has a mic, cool feature for speaking or teaching riders but not something I needed. Either option is a good one.

KG's Supra24
05-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Wetsounds 420. Call earmark, mention forum. Done.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

jmvotto
05-03-2012, 11:22 PM
I had a ws 420, loved it , went with the old boat, bought the Krypt, it installed have not had a chance to play ith it, should be very similar to ws I hope, exile zld could be in my future, I like the larger knobs..

KG's Supra24
05-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Fwiw, and especially to you jmv and others with krypt ... I did alot of tuning this year after installing the revs, I found that I needed to turn the gains down a bit on the eq from the factory settings.

jmvotto
05-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Fwiw, and especially to you jmv and others with krypt ... I did alot of tuning this year after installing the revs, I found that I needed to turn the gains down a bit on the eq from the factory settings.

Good to know, those gains are on the top correct, my ws420 was fixed so I liked it that way....

KG's Supra24
05-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Yea, they are on the top. I found mine needed to be around 25-30%, came preset at 50%. I'm sure it changes some depending on head unit and amps, not sure on that though.

something to consider before mounting though.

jmvotto
05-03-2012, 11:40 PM
something to consider before mounting though.

Uh ooh... Dealer mounted it already.

kaneboats
05-04-2012, 08:38 AM
I would not even begin to know how to set that thing up. What told you the gains on the EQ were too high?

dusty2221
05-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Kane, when tuning gains across the board will be adjusted. One of the pro's can chime in if they like, but basically, you have to find the point on each piece of your system that is just below causing clipping. Most EQ's have adjustable gain settings just like the amps do. With the gain to high, you can introduce noise (especially from the Krypt). In Kyles case, we lowered his gains and adjusted a bit on the amp to compensate bringing it down upstream.

dusty2221
05-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Just as an alternative..
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?17900-Exile-ZLD-EQ-Group-Buy&p=176853#post176853

Also, I'll throw this out there regarding my Krypt EQ I bought last year. I have been doing some trouble shooting with white noise in my system. I have isolated every single component to find the true source of the noise, and it is the Krypt. Both David and Brian warned of this last year about how noisy the Krypt will be, and truthfully, I did not notice it being that noisy until recently. As long as the Krypt is in the loop I have noise. Only when I completely remove power from the unit does it go away. Keep in mind, every single power and ground wire in my setup has a home-run back to my stereo bank. Just food for thought.

jmvotto
05-04-2012, 12:29 PM
FWIW my WS 420 had white noise as well.. Just saying. i think if you introduce line drivers , amplifications etc. you will get noise.

Not to say it was not my home run setup either, but i thought everything was wired correctly.

Dusty did you put something else in or just eliminate it.?

I hope this does not create a WW debate...

KG's Supra24
05-04-2012, 12:38 PM
I've heard the same on any type of line driver. I think are some more noisy than others, though, what that amounts to at end of day? Not quite sure.

dusty2221
05-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Yeah, I guess I should have added that all will have some, yet the Krypt seems to be at the top of the noise chain from what we have been told.