PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't keep thru-hull from turning

z28ke
05-03-2012, 04:54 PM
I've been working on my ballast install today and I'm almost done but ran into a problem when tightening the thru hull nut. I had a buddy stick a prybar into the hole from the bottom to try and keep it from turning but you can't get any leverage. Anyways it's pulled flush with the hull and I used the marine sealant on the top and bottom, and there is no play in the fitting. Think I'm alright? Thanks

bergermaister
05-03-2012, 05:51 PM
If it has the little tabs or bars on the inside of the fitting you may be able to use this trick.

Put a wrench on the flat edge of the handle for more leverage. I used this breaker bar handle on both my bottom (underwater) thru hull and above water thru hulls on the sides.

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/P1070045.jpg

It's not a high pressure system so as long as you have some sealant under the fitting you are probably good. For a below the water connection I would definitely spend a little extra effort to get it as tight as possible though.

MLA
05-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Z,

What you are experience is not uncommon. The marine adhesive makes for a great lubricant while in its uncured state. So even with the jam nut tight, the thin barrier of sealant can allow the t-hull to rotate. let it cure and you should be fine. Also, I would go ahead and put on the ball-valve while you are at the point you are at. This way, if you need to rotate the whole setup to get the ball-valve handle oriented so it has the clearance to be shut off, you can rotate the assembly.

lsvboombox
05-03-2012, 08:32 PM
I've been working on my ballast install today and I'm almost done but ran into a problem when tightening the thru hull nut. I had a buddy stick a prybar into the hole from the bottom to try and keep it from turning but you can't get any leverage. Anyways it's pulled flush with the hull and I used the marine sealant on the top and bottom, and there is no play in the fitting. Think I'm alright? Thanks

Since its under the water line i would make sure its tighter than a whales a$$

parrothd
05-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Since its under the water line i would make sure its tighter than a whales a$$

Don't want to over tighten, crack the gel coat/spider cracks...:) The sealant is what makes it water tight...

lsvboombox
05-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Don't want to over tighten, crack the gel coat/spider cracks...:) The sealant is what makes it water tight...

Agreed. A whales sphincter does not spin and isnt cracked.

And if anyone wants to see a whale weiner i got a picture :)

jpetty3023
05-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Agreed. A whales sphincter does not spin and isnt cracked.

And if anyone wants to see a whale weiner i got a picture :)

Think we'll all pass on the whale Werner pic, well maybe Chawk wouldn't mind a quick peak-:)

z28ke
05-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Haha, no thanks. I let the sealant dry good before I put on the ball valve and kept an eye on the nut to make sure it wasn't turning as I tightened the valve. It held tight so I think it's good to go. I'll check it on the water before I back off the trailer. Thanks for all the help guys, I couldn't have done this project without all the good people and threads on this board! I can't wait to get on the lake sunday and try it out, throwing pumps over the side of the boat is for the birds

kaneboats
05-04-2012, 11:58 AM
There's about 10 Dusty's Mom-isms in the description above.

wolfeman131
05-04-2012, 12:01 PM
throwing pumps over the side of the boat is for the birds

It's also for folks with boats that have hard tanks and need more weight but don't want to drill holes, add pumps, etc.

z28ke
05-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Tested it out yesterday and she is water tight. I had a few small leaks after the pump to correct but no big deal