PDA

View Full Version : What Trick are you Working On?

bhowell
05-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Here is what I'm working on:
Heelside Regular 360 - Landed it before w/o the rope
Heelside Regular Tantrum - Landed it once behind a friends boat
Toeside Regular Wake2Wake - Never jump toeside....
Heelside Switch Wake2Wake - Trying to learn to jump switch

KG's Supra24
05-02-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm trying to relearn the tricks I used to have down!!! Not sure where they went but they are no longer in my pocket.

Tantrum - Used to be landed 90% of the time. Then I started balling up and now I just think to much.
Heelside 360 - Used to land it, now i can't for the life of me get the timing.
Backroll - I've never tried it but feel like I need to give it an attempt.

bzubke1
05-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Trying to get my hs 540 back consistent and then building upon tricks I already have on lock.
-grab my scarecrow and then take it to a crow mobe
-take both my ts and hs backroll to revert
-learn to spin backside, probably my biggest goal for the year.

trebor-75
05-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Sounds like Im in the same spot as you bhowell.

The Heelside regular 360s I was landing about 50% of the time at the end of last year so I really want to get that locked down.
Never landed a tantrum but I was getting real close, just ran out of summer!
And Im not going to like it, but I really have to work on some toeside stuff to even it out a little... I never do it either and it gets boring on the left side of the wake.

If the weather forecast is true I think we'll finally be able to start the season on saturday!

Boonejeepin
05-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Wakeboard newbie here

Heelside w2w

Who knows from there.....14119

dusty2221
05-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Stuck my first few switch roll to revert of the season over the weekend, hope to have it consistent soon.

Planning on working on Toeside front roll as well as toeside backroll. I also hope to break my mental block on the tantrum.

tnbrooks01
05-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Since I am just the boat driver/coach I am working on not pushing too hard and keeping up the FUNgression! My son is working to get his heel and toe 3's on lock. Has both of them locked 1 wake. Also getting taking his Toe back to revert and the tantrum to blind.

Since there was pretty much no winter in Oklahoma this year he has been able to step his game up so fast already. Riding first comp of the season this weekend at Grand Lake in Oklahoma.

tarmac
05-03-2012, 04:24 AM
Wakeboard Newbie here too.
However with purchase of my 05 Moomba Outback should be good to start to learn more.

HS w2w- can do just need to do it better
switch- can switch but not comfortable and no control once there..
TS w2w- once I get control of switch riding this is the next one
all the grabs I can try.

Problem is it is coming into winter here in Australia so time is limited...

kaneboats
05-03-2012, 08:27 AM
I'm working on that trick where I get out of work early on Fri. and head for the water.

KSmith
05-03-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm working on that trick where I get out of work early on Fri. and head for the water.

Once you get that trick down could you pass on any tips to get that to work for the rest of us?? ;-)

New Guy
05-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Get my tantrums on lock.
Continue to progress my toeside.
HS 3. TS 180.
Backroll

and the list goes on......

bergermaister
05-03-2012, 06:06 PM

And the other one where you call from the boat launch in a muffled, pitiful sounding voice about how crummy you feel and won't make it in.

Maybe going to spice it up this year with 'please don't call because I'll be sleeping' or 'missed your call because I was in the Dr's office'.

rdlangston13
05-04-2012, 01:35 AM
toe side w2w
switch...just riding switch in general
maybe a hs 180 or i may just go straight to the 360 to avoid riding switch...

what exactly is a scarecrow? i was riding with someone recently who did it but all the inverts look basically the same to me...

kaneboats
05-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Time to get a video and watch some slo mo.

ryan_8099
05-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Here is what I am working on (filmed yesterday) It is kind of long, but if you fast forward to the end you are in for a treat.

http://youtu.be/cnX5xO4bNao

HS w2w (consistency)
Switch riding (just terrible as seen in the video)
Simple w2w HS grabs
Start trying TS w2w

bzubke1
05-04-2012, 12:20 PM
what exactly is a scarecrow?
A toeside frontroll with a frontside 180.

Some of the best advice I ever received about ts and hs wake to wake jumps was to hold on with two hands from take off to landing, when you take your back hand off you lose tension. I still do 2 or 3 two-handed wake to wake jumps from each side as a warm up.

We should either on this thread or a new one report back with the new tricks everyone is landing.

bhowell
05-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Definitely agree on the two hands. I also find a significant benefit in height and stability starting to bring the handle towards my hip right before I pop off the wake.

BTW: Landed nothing new this weekend. Water was poor from all the Cinco traffic.

dusty2221
05-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Same here, went with the intent of working on TS front roll and had decent water for a only a very short time. Ended up folding my ankle over on the Switch Roll to revert and pretty much just held on to the rope after that. Typical.

WaterBullDawg1980
05-07-2012, 06:21 PM
I also hope to break my mental block on the tantrum.

It may help to really concentrate on making certain you are letting off your edge as you come up to the jump. Obviously you need to hit it flat and from what I see, most folks mess up by not letting off their edge for fear of not making it across.

z28ke
05-07-2012, 09:08 PM
I want to learn do a heel side 360. I ride regular, is it easier to spin to the left or right? I can w2w 180 both hs and ts but haven't really attempted 360's.

bzubke1
05-07-2012, 10:36 PM
For most people it is easier to spin frontside (to the left). I learned them first by getting a feel for the handle pass by doing surface 360's at like 18. Once I was comfortable with that I did them inside out, after I landed a few of those I took it to the wake. Get your pop first, spin second. Also keep the handle as close to your body as possible throughout the whole spin.

bhowell
05-14-2012, 05:51 PM
I worked on the Tantrum this weekend. Took about 7-8 attempts but never rode away from a landing. I need to get the photos from Matt75 but I think I'm trying to throw the flip too much and that's taking away from my pop and speeding up the rotation making the landing harder.

I did land something new this weekend though. Heelside Switch W2W.

Also got some huge air behind Matt's Axis A20 w/ 3k lbs and a wedge.

motosno963
05-14-2012, 06:30 PM
backflips and 360s..its hard on a outback with no sacs..theres a video of me eating it on my facebook but im at work so i cant uplad it on youtube or id show yall..man i could use some sacs haha

jpetty3023
05-14-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm working on having a knee that doesn't give me constant pain and discomfort

bhowell
05-14-2012, 08:20 PM
Here is what I am working on (filmed yesterday) It is kind of long, but if you fast forward to the end you are in for a treat.

http://youtu.be/cnX5xO4bNao

HS w2w (consistency)
Switch riding (just terrible as seen in the video)
Simple w2w HS grabs
Start trying TS w2w

Hold your edge up the wake and bring the handle closer to the hip before takeoff and you'll get more pop off the wake and not get pulled forward as much while in the air.

Thanks for the tunes. I shazam'd the songs.

ryan_8099
05-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Hold your edge up the wake and bring the handle closer to the hip before takeoff and you'll get more pop off the wake and not get pulled forward as much while in the air.

Thanks for the tunes. I shazam'd the songs.

you can download that album here for free: https://www.facebook.com/basicphysics/app_203351739677351

He also has another mixed album as well, good stuff.

E4NASH
05-14-2012, 10:32 PM
I'm working on having a knee that doesn't give me constant pain and discomfort

Hahaha...where's the 'like' button

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bzubke1
05-15-2012, 11:06 AM
I think I'm trying to throw the flip too much and that's taking away from my pop and speeding up the rotation making the landing harder.

That's exactly what I do. The way i got to where I could land it was to edge harder before you trip the flip. Gives a little more hang time to get that flip around, it's not technically right but its a lot better than under rotating and jammin my ankles everytime.

guinsha54
05-15-2012, 11:14 AM
That's exactly what I do. The way i got to where I could land it was to edge harder before you trip the flip. Gives a little more hang time to get that flip around, it's not technically right but its a lot better than under rotating and jammin my ankles everytime.

Thats good advice right there! and I agree that Tantrum ankle jam tweak or whatever happens really blows.

05-15-2012, 11:46 AM
This year I want to focus on getting some grabs in on my tricks. I'd like to get a grabbed Backroll or Tanturm and well as wrapped 3's with a grab all the way around. And TS front rolls too, gotta give those a try. But most of all I'd like to land my first 5 on the water.

And for all the people wanting to try their first invert, GO FOR IT. Backrolls are definitley the easiest invert IMO even though I learned Tantrums first. Bend you knees, edge ALL THE WAY through the wake, and don't flip early, wait for the pop first and look up and over your lead sholder.

bhowell
05-15-2012, 03:09 PM
And for all the people wanting to try their first invert, GO FOR IT. Backrolls are definitley the easiest invert IMO even though I learned Tantrums first. Bend you knees, edge ALL THE WAY through the wake, and don't flip early, wait for the pop first and look up and over your lead sholder.

Is this advice for the backroll or the tantrum? Seems looking up and over the LEAD shoulder is the tantrum but cutting t through the wake rather than parralleling the wake is the backroll but you would look over the trailing shoulder... I'm confused.

tnbrooks01
05-15-2012, 11:28 PM
Is this advice for the backroll or the tantrum? Seems looking up and over the LEAD shoulder is the tantrum but cutting t through the wake rather than parralleling the wake is the backroll but you would look over the trailing shoulder... I'm confused.

Lead shoulder for a heel back.
If you look that way on a toe back you will likely go to 50/50 or halfway to revert and catch the oh so fun front edge.

05-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Nope, thats for a normal heelside backroll. This trick feels weird the first few times you do it but once you get it, it's the easiest invert going. As long as you get your pop and start the trick properly it almost just seems to "happen". Slow the boat to 20 or 21, shorten you rope and give it a go. Everyones mistake is flipping or leaving early.

Cigars n scotch
05-16-2012, 10:36 AM
The backroll is elusive to me and is a mindf#Ľk, I just can't commit to it nor conceptualize it when I'm out on the water. Really makes me mad, especially when everyone says its the easiest invert to learn. To me trying a backflip (ala a Tantrum) is much easier to try and walk through in my mind. Haven't landed a tantrum yet but I'd throw them all day trying.

I really want to try a backroll. And I need to try 3's more as I've landed a few just don't normally put it into my runs. I'm a head case.

Getting tired of the same w2w hs jumps and grabs and 180's and then come back across the wake with my signature half-cab 180 (which is a switch hs 180).

Looks like there are some talented riders here, you're lucky.

bzubke1
05-16-2012, 11:13 AM
I saw a how to on the backroll that really helped me learn it. One thing it stressed when you are first trying it is to take a double cut at the wake. Meaning take your normal cut out, start cutting in but about half way in slow up for a half second, then take a progressive edge all the way through the top of the wake. The purpose of this is so you don't get scared and let off your edge on that seemingly long cut to the wake. I learned the same way 501 said, just get to where the wake is clean on whatever side you're gonna try it. Give it a shot a few times and once you have some aerial awareness and can spot your landing try taking it wake to wake.

tnbrooks01
05-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Everyones mistake is flipping or leaving early.

Absolutely, If you have to force it you will find yourself doing a "mexican roll" which is what most of the newer riders are doing not a heel back. Think of the heel backroll as a barrel roll around the handle.

This link to learnwake.com is how we teach this trick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNhCwKLf48

WaterBullDawg1980
05-16-2012, 05:31 PM
That is great advice. GO FOR IT. The first time I landed a backroll was the 3rd time I tried it. The key? Edge hard and all the way through and SEE your landing. If you see your landing you can make adjustments in the air to slow down if you coming in hot etc. This is in my very amateur opinion. I wish I worked harder at some harder tricks, but after taking some pretty bad spills that ended up in a few brusies/cuts on the face that I had to take with me to meetings I have had to ease up. Plus my lake sucks for trying to find calm water to practice on.

E4NASH
05-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Plus my lake sucks for trying to find calm water to practice on.

You just gotta find the right area....come meet up with us sometime, we have been pretty lucky on finding the calm water so far...

WaterBullDawg1980
05-16-2012, 07:18 PM
You just gotta find the right area....come meet up with us sometime, we have been pretty lucky on finding the calm water so far...

Do you guys put in on the north end? I love the water up there. So much better. I put in at Big Creek right by Holiday so you can just imagine.

rdlangston13
05-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Absolutely, If you have to force it you will find yourself doing a "mexican roll" which is what most of the newer riders are doing not a heel back. Think of the heel backroll as a barrel roll around the handle.

This link to learnwake.com is how we teach this trick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNhCwKLf48

I hate how these videos never show the trick for the goofy riders. I know I just need to reverse what they are saying but it is easier said than done. I need an instructional video geared toward goofy riders

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

Cigars n scotch
05-17-2012, 10:17 PM
I hate how these videos never show the trick for the goofy riders. I know I just need to reverse what they are saying but it is easier said than done. I need an instructional video geared toward goofy riders

The Book base inverts DVD! covers both regular and goofy. I am goofy as well.

rdlangston13
05-18-2012, 01:18 AM
I have been wanting to order this set.

tnbrooks01
05-18-2012, 08:13 AM
I hate how these videos never show the trick for the goofy riders.

My son is rides goofy also. One cool thing about the learnwake website is just about all of the videos have goofy/regular videos by just pushing a button on the screen as to which stance you are.

The TSO Wake iphone app has a "Goofy" rider in it.

tnbrooks01
05-18-2012, 04:25 PM
No sure if this will work. First time trying to upload a pic on tapa talk. Here's a bad iPhone pic of my son heel roll to revert. 14444

New Guy
05-22-2012, 12:18 PM
What do you guys think that I am doing wrong with my tantrums? I think that I am not looking in the right spot.

http://youtu.be/h1kd26NDr6s

bergermaister
05-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Your balls are too big and heavy - slowing you down. :cool:

WaterBullDawg1980
05-22-2012, 01:50 PM
Doesn't look like you are squaring off upon hitting the wake to get the trip but instead holding your edge all the way through like a backroll.

New Guy
05-22-2012, 02:09 PM
I have been working on it for a while and nobody that I ride with can really give me solid advice on it. Do you think that I should be coming off my edge earlier?

ryan_8099
05-22-2012, 02:21 PM
I have been working on it for a while and nobody that I ride with can really give me solid advice on it. Do you think that I should be coming off my edge earlier?

From what I have seen in videos you need to flatten out the board prior to popping off the wake and square up to the wake earlier like WBD said. I just youtubed 'learn tantrum' and there were at least some pointers that might help. Looks like you are coming in really hot. Also appears as though you are not popping very high compared to when my buddy throws them, appears to be a low tantrum. I can't land one so my advice might not be the greatest, but I have watched my buddy throw many tantrums.

bzubke1
05-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Pause the video right at your take off, your body is at a 45 degree angle to the water, you should be going straight up. Think about pushing off with your toes, this will give you more height and force you to square up a bit more.

bhowell
05-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Doesn't look like you are squaring off upon hitting the wake to get the trip but instead holding your edge all the way through like a backroll.

I agree. Parallel the wake at the last second and pop up. Let the wake throw you back.

Here is a tantrum attempt of mine where I squared up but tried to throw the flip back myself rather than popping up and letting the wake throw my feet into the rotation.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g156/mk41878/Trinity%20May%2013/IMG_1273.jpg

New Guy
05-22-2012, 03:59 PM
That looks really similar to what i'm doing with my head over my back shoulder. Time to get out there and get after it again.

bhowell
05-22-2012, 04:18 PM
That looks really similar to what i'm doing with my head over my back shoulder. Time to get out there and get after it again.

Do a fakie pass where you square off to the wake and emulate a vertical pop before you really try it and you will feel the way the wake will throw your feet. I think it will feel much different than the takeoff from your video.

WaterBullDawg1980
05-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Pause the video right at your take off, your body is at a 45 degree angle to the water, you should be going straight up. Think about pushing off with your toes, this will give you more height and force you to square up a bit more.

Yup. Exactly. It's is a weird motion imo.

Yes, you should be flattening out sooner and squaring up to the boat. I'm sure you can find a better explanation, but it feels like I am leaning back while pushing off of my toes after I have flattened out my edge in.

tnbrooks01
05-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Just my .02 it appears you are going off your heels rather than a trip edge and your body is not near square enough to the wake.
Here's Learnwake video that may help. IMO practicing the backside re-entry pop landing outside the wake then moving to a re-entry pop inside the wake will be the most beneficial for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcgtM7Dxtxk

WaterBullDawg1980
05-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Awesome video. As a matter of fact I never realized how good of a resource YouTube was for learning wakeboarding tricks. I think I have convinced myself I can do a whirlybird. :o

yz 2smoke
05-22-2012, 08:21 PM
What length are you guys riding at?

tnbrooks01
05-22-2012, 10:25 PM
My boy is currently at 70' 24mph

bhowell
05-22-2012, 11:28 PM
70 / 23 or 65 / 21.5

dusty2221
05-23-2012, 07:26 AM
Either 75/24 or 70/24 depending on water conditions

Cigars n scotch
05-23-2012, 07:55 AM
75 or 70/22.8 depending on how much weight I have. 24mph seems so fast to me

yz 2smoke
05-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Sounds like my rope is to short; I'm at 65' @ 21.5 I can land the tantrum but the rope gets jurked out of my hand. I was talking to a guy at the wakeboard comp in acworth this past weekend and he said my rope was too short and that is why the rope is coming out of my hand.

Thanks guys I will try a longer rope and see if that helps.

tnbrooks01
05-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Sounds like my rope is to short; I'm at 65' @ 21.5 I can land the tantrum but the rope gets jurked out of my hand. I was talking to a guy at the wakeboard comp in acworth this past weekend and he said my rope was too short and that is why the rope is coming out of my hand.

Thanks guys I will try a longer rope and see if that helps.

Line length is not the issue. without watching you ride, if the handle is getting jerked out of your hand chances are its due to your body position going against the boats path causing too much line tension. Make sure your head is going straight back and not looking away from the boat. While looking away helps with opening up your chest it also tilts your shoulders to go away from the boat causing too much tension thus popping the handle.

Just IMO behind a Moomba keep the line shorter at the slower speeds because the wake is wider at that speed and the impacts will be much easier to handle. As you progress, speed up the boat then as you are landing in the flats lengthen the line.

yz 2smoke
05-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Ok, I'm glad you didn't say speed up the boat. Lol
I will try to get video of my attemps and post so you guys can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

tnbrooks01
05-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Heres a video that shows nothing else matters but having fun!!
https://vimeo.com/15751641

Cigars n scotch
05-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Heres a video that shows nothing else matters but having fun!!
https://vimeo.com/15751641

Yeah I want to see more of that Sarah cline and her thong bikini she was wearing while riding!!!!!

bhowell
05-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Learned to grab my W2W 180 today. It was weird grabbing left handed the first time but it turned out to be easy.

rdlangston13
05-25-2012, 12:45 PM
May not sound like much but this last weekend I really got my surface 180s down, both front side and backside and also did alot of switch riding. Tried a few 180s off the wake but didn't stick the landings, I think the more I ride switch the better my 180 landings will be. It no tantrum or anything tho

Mobius22
05-25-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm going to be trying my first invert this year. Any suggestions of whether to try a tantrum or backroll first?

tnbrooks01
05-25-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm going to be trying my first invert this year. Any suggestions of whether to try a tantrum or backroll first?

People say the tantrum is the easiest because you can see your landing the longest. I think a good heel back roll (not mexiroll) looks the coolest though. My son learned toe back as his first invert.

I would go with heel back because the progressive edge take off is easier to learn.

tnbrooks01
05-25-2012, 04:14 PM
May not sound like much but this last weekend I really got my surface 180s down, both front side and backside and also did alot of switch riding. Tried a few 180s off the wake but didn't stick the landings, I think the more I ride switch the better my 180 landings will be. It no tantrum or anything tho

Riding switch is so beneficial. Yet no one wants to work at it. We try to ride a minimum of 4 days a week and I encourage my son to take 3 switch sets a week. The tricks you can add when comfortable riding switch are endless.

Cigars n scotch
05-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Wow 4 days a week at $4 a gallon, good for you! That's awesome, do you live on the water?

The only switch riding I do is for my half cab 180 that is my quintessential move to get back across the the wake so I don't always just do HS. Would like to try a HS switch w2w this year.

tnbrooks01
05-25-2012, 11:18 PM
Wow 4 days a week at $4 a gallon, good for you! That's awesome, do you live on the water?

We do have a house on Grand lake in Oklahoma and also have a private wake lake (1500'x300') that we lease for comp practice.

Thankfully gas has not hit $4 a gallon in Tulsa, currently gas is $3.19. Which is not cheap but it could be worse.

Mobius22
05-26-2012, 12:50 PM
People say the tantrum is the easiest because you can see your landing the longest. I think a good heel back roll (not mexiroll) looks the coolest though. My son learned toe back as his first invert.

I would go with heel back because the progressive edge take off is easier to learn.

Thanks, I think I will try the backroll first. Anything I should do to make it easier before I try it? I can land wake to wake jumps easily.

tnbrooks01
05-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks, I think I will try the backroll first. Anything I should do to make it easier before I try it? I can land wake to wake jumps easily.

For a heel backroll, shorten the line to just passed the "rooster tail", slow the boat as slow as you can yet still keep the wake clean at that length, slow controlled edge out (no more than the foam on water from wake), solid progressive edge in keeping line tight and LEGS STRAIGHT to hold the edge. Turn head over lead shoulder (if held too long you'll go to revert), keep elbows pinned to your hips (if you let them out you will raley which can end badly!), spot landing bend legs and edge away on your heels.

If you can't get the revert out try to tilting your head to back shoulder/hip instead. This will help but you may have tendency to tuck your head forward some which will mexi-roll, and aside from not looking good your board will more than likely come down on the rope.

Remember The heel back roll is a barrel roll around the handle, no forward rotation.

Sounds easy right? Its really not bad if you if you take the low impact route like described above.

Mobius22
05-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Awesome, thanks alot. I will post a vid if I need help and when/if I land it

bhowell
06-07-2012, 11:16 AM
I worked on a lot of things this weekend. I landed a switch HS FS W2W180 on my first try. I tired my first backroll and the trick seems like something I could land with a little work since it was close. Also threw a couple of tantrum attempts that were had potential. Also, almost landed my first 360 but lost the handle on the landing. Going to keep trying stuff this weekend.

dusty2221
06-08-2012, 10:18 AM
The past 2 weekends I have been working on regular Roll to Revert. I have switch roll to revert down, but for some reason, I am having a hell of a time landing and not sliding out the back for a hard landing on my can. Anyone have this trick down that can offer some advice?

At first I thought I was spinning the 180 to early with the flip, so I started releasing for the spin later, it didn't help. Now I am wondering if the spin was fine but my handle placement was wrong. Either way, the falls are brutal and have left me bruised black and blue.

bzubke1
06-08-2012, 10:30 AM
I can't land this trick but I got some really good advice on handle placement while taking a lesson. I do the same thing you do where I always slip out onto my butt. When you're coming around for your landing you want to take the handle and push it back towards your butt. For example if you ride regular when you're coming around for your landing the handle will be in your right hand and you will want to push the handle back to your right butt cheek. I was getting really close on this last fall when I took the lesson, haven't tried it yet this year but now I think I'm going to have to.

dusty2221
06-08-2012, 10:45 AM
That's what I decided I need to work on tomorrow. I ride goofy, so it will be in my left hand shoved to my loved butt cheeck. I am comfortable with the rotation and flip, and I see the landing coming, so it has to just be a small detail I'm missing to get the board to stick.

tnbrooks01
06-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Slow down you rotation. Even with the 180 you should rotate slower than a normal heel back so you can land on your toes edging away from the boat with you head up looking at the shore and not your heels which is causing the board to slide out and the painful crashes.

bhowell
06-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Landed two tantrums yesterday on back to back runs. Here is a cell phone video of one. I think I still need to pop more, open it up more, and slow down the rotation. Any advice for cleaning it up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEjw5UswPKA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

KRAK
06-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Any advice for cleaning it up?

Perhaps a better camera..... Lol

Looks better than what I can do!

tnbrooks01
06-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Landed two tantrums yesterday on back to back runs. Here is a cell phone video of one. I think I still need to pop more, open it up more, and slow down the rotation. Any advice for cleaning it up?

That's awesome! It's hard to tell but if you pause the video at 19 seconds it looks like you are leaning back on your heels rather than a trip edge. When you square up to the wake you should be leaning forward and your shoulders should be over your toes. That with a tall body position at the lip will give you much more straight up pop.

Wait for the trick to trip you and when you think you have waited long enough, wait some more.

dusty2221
06-11-2012, 12:08 PM
OK, got 2 quick clips. I think I stuck one, but bailed thinking a crash was coming, and never got it again. I think in attempt 1 I went with a LATE release for the 180, with a slow roll, then attempt 2, nice and slow roll, but I let go early, both end the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVpSQAqx3HQ

http://youtu.be/x2NxsLZHijw

bzubke1
06-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Gettin real close, few more attempts and I bet you stick it. My only attempt this weekend was a pretty nice nose digger. I'm gonna try some more today.

Congrats on the tantrum howell!

chawk610
06-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Dang Dusty, looks great! Yall have some smooth water in your parts!!! I think I need to start going out really early, or evening. Outside the wake when and where we go is a series of neverending waves to negotiate!

dusty2221
06-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Ha, both of the videos and the pics in the June thread were likely taken before 7:30am Saturday! Texoma only looks like that until about 9, after 9 it's ride able but barely, after 10:30 fagitahboutit!

wolfeman131
06-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Smooth work there dusty!

chawk610
06-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Same at Lewisville I reckon. Maybe not having to get a boat together and trailer it I can get some early rides in!

dusty2221
06-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Thanks, but damn I want to get it landed. After about 20 of the same crash I have had enough of that. Landing it means on to the next one, which I am ready for.

tnbrooks01
06-11-2012, 08:34 PM
OK, got 2 quick clips. I think I stuck one, but bailed thinking a crash was coming, and never got it again. I think in attempt 1 I went with a LATE release for the 180, with a slow roll, then attempt 2, nice and slow roll, but I let go early, both end the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVpSQAqx3HQ

http://youtu.be/x2NxsLZHijw

Dude, you got it!!! IMO you are just going at it too aggressive causing you to over rotate on to your heels. If you look at your landing of your half cab in the first video that is the body position you want when landing the heel roll to revert with your shoulders over your toes. In that backroll you have already completed the trick and you are still approx. 4ft off the water. Try to take a much shorter approach on takeoff, a much slower roll (try to under rotate), and on landing try keeping your back hand on the handle longer to help keep your body from over rotating and your shoulders over your toes.

BTW that Stalefish looks really cool too!!

rdlangston13
06-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Barely got to ride this weekend. Didn't have time to make it to the river and the lake was crap

02Outback
06-12-2012, 02:20 PM
I am trying to work on a backroll but am having trouble popping properly and starting my rotation at the right time.

Cigars n scotch
06-12-2012, 07:30 PM
I just got a new setup and this past weekend was my first sets behind it but I am determined to man up and learn a backroll and also get the tantrum down. I've tried multiple tantrums but haven't landed any, every time I approach the wake thinking I am going to try a backroll I chicken out. I'm going to watch the learnwake video 100 times, I'm determined to throw this trick, especially since on WW I see 40+ yr olds throwing it and landing it. No reason I can't.

I'd also like to get comfortable on TS w2w, I'm a HS hero. Last thing I'd like to dial in are 3's, landed them quite a few times just don't throw them consistently and haven't in a while.

Justin
2008 Supra 21V
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rdlangston13
06-13-2012, 12:40 AM
here is the last time i rode. i am working on TSw2w, riding regular, and just getting more pop on my heel side jumps. need to start incorporating things into my jumps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQXzN7EC5dE&feature=youtu.be

location in the trinity river

tnbrooks01
06-13-2012, 10:49 AM
I just got a new setup and this past weekend was my first sets behind it but I am determined to man up and learn a backroll and also get the tantrum down. I've tried multiple tantrums but haven't landed any, every time I approach the wake thinking I am going to try a backroll I chicken out. I'm going to watch the learnwake video 100 times, I'm determined to throw this trick, especially since on WW I see 40+ yr olds throwing it and landing it. No reason I can't.

I'd also like to get comfortable on TS w2w, I'm a HS hero. Last thing I'd like to dial in are 3's, landed them quite a few times just don't throw them consistently and haven't in a while.

Justin
2008 Supra 21V
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you cant seem to "man up" on the backroll at normal riding speed (which I dont blame you) weight only the side of boat for your heel side jumps, shorten the line to just past the rooster tail, and slow boat as mush as possible yet still keep the takeoff wake clean.

Take a very short approach no more than the foam wash on the water from boat, use a solid progressive edge(legs and upper body straight and on hard heel edge) and as leaving the the wake tilt head looking over lead shoulder trying to push lead hip and shoulder to the sky, keeping both elbows pinned tour side. The washy wake on other side will be softer than a clean wake on bails as well as provide some traction WHEN not if you land the trick the first few times.

On the Toe w2w, if you haven't been able to do these yet you may try a 180s as they are easier than just a toe wake jumps because of the natural untwisting of your body. Its much harder to hold your body twisted for toe wake jumps when your board releases from its edge.

dusty2221
06-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Hey Todd, thanks for the pointers. I'm super frustrated that I have not stuck the r2r yet when i can do Switch R2R huge into the flats. I already feel like I am taking is as "small" as possible and spinning at the speed of smell. Guess I'll start the cut closer in and see what happens.

You should come down to the Texas get together in August and ride around coaching us!

David, I watched your vid. To me, it looks like you have a decent HS edge into the wake, but once you get to the wake you are letting your knees absorb the pop. Don't be afraid to stiffen at the wake and let the wake boot you.

rdlangston13
06-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Dusty, that's about what I figured. I just feel like I am standing up into it hard. Guess I need to hit the gym and work on my quads

tnbrooks01
06-13-2012, 11:50 AM
In most cases you will be able to learn switch tricks to revert faster than regular to revert because a switch takeoff is easier to learn than the balance of a switch landing.

When learning new tricks, in lieu of my son "lawn darting" himself all over the water I shortened an old line with knots at about 40 and 45 ft. We slow the boat down, pound the mechanics of the trick into muscle memory and build speed and length as he progresses.

To help with switch landings for any trick you take to revert you can practice switch backside board slides and try to force yourself off balance or rotate fs 180s really late so you are almost "saving them" just to stay up.

We tentatively plan to ride some of the Texas Wake Series that doesnt conflict with his pre scheduled comps as well as a Riptank Boardshop comp in Lubbock in September I think and will be a Red Bull Boarder Wars in October also. So we get down there quite a bit. Roadtrippin to go do some tricks on the water is always fun!

bzubke1
06-13-2012, 02:34 PM
I did the ripatank open and boarder wars last year. Both were really fun comps. Boarder wars was at texoma on a 30mph weekend, I did awful. I didn't finish my full run at riptank but I did get third in the expert division, won a pretty sweet element skateboard.

tnbrooks01
06-13-2012, 03:23 PM
here is the last time i rode. i am working on TSw2w, riding regular, and just getting more pop on my heel side jumps. need to start incorporating things into my jumps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQXzN7EC5dE&feature=youtu.be

location in the trinity river

That looks like a pretty sweet place to ride. Not too many places like that up here. It looks like you are just out free riding which is awesome. That's what its all about, having a good time. However, it can be somewhat counter productive when trying to make your tricks better due to lack of repetition.

What speed and length are you riding in the video?

On your heel wake jumps your setup looks rushed. You build an edge really fast and as you stand tall in the trough of the wake your board goes flat second and your pop is diminished. Have you ever used a (leg press?) machine at a gym? You sit in a chair on a 45deg angle track, do a squatting motion then stand tall to lift the weight. Your feet never go flat because the base of the machine wont let you. That is the body position needed to maximize your heel side jump

To correct this: go buy one of those machines which I am sure are $$$$.......

or practice the "standing tall" drill. Edge out beside the boat on your heels (setup for TS jumps) while edging squat down to drag your butt then stand tall while keeping the rope tension high and the same pressure on your heels to hold the edge.

rdlangston13
06-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the tips! I have done leg presses and need to just go to the gym. I will try that drill you mentioned

bhowell
06-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Landed 3 tantrums in the same ride this weekend and then attempted a backroll. Video from a gopro coming soon.

Also learned how to do a backside surface 180. Still no real toeside....

How did everyone else do this weekend?

rdlangston13
06-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Got a w2w 180 down for the first time, video coming soon

Boonejeepin
06-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Landing hs w2w now. Need to get the rope pulled in to my hip and get the timing more consistent.

Switch and ts jumps are in the immediate to do list.

Got a few tips from Erik Ruck on the water yesterday. How cool is that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXNqz4M-DT8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

bhowell
06-20-2012, 09:08 PM
I land a few tantrums here and fail on a back roll. Any advice to improve either would be appreciated. 😃

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NvLPkCmNMI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

tnbrooks01
06-20-2012, 09:57 PM
I land a few tantrums here and fail on a back roll. Any advice to improve either would be appreciated. ��

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NvLPkCmNMI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Awesome video! Looks like you got the tantrum dialed and a good base to work with. To tweak it a little try to straighten your legs more and get more on your toes at the beginning. This will get you more straight up pop which you will need should you decide to add variations to the trick.

On the heel back, if you stop the video at 4:05 and quickly pause through the frames you will see that once you tuck your head forward (mexican roll) your body is starting to extend forward, then your arms go over your head, which is causing you to wheelie out and pull you over your toes on landing.

You need much more heel edge at the wake (show the folks in the boat the base graphics of your board) and work to keep your elbows pinned to your side so your body will barrel roll around the handle.

Hope that helps.

bhowell
06-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Awesome video! Looks like you got the tantrum dialed and a good base to work with. To tweak it a little try to straighten your legs more and get more on your toes at the beginning. This will get you more straight up pop which you will need should you decide to add variations to the trick.

On the heel back, if you stop the video at 4:05 and quickly pause through the frames you will see that once you tuck your head forward (mexican roll) your body is starting to extend forward, then your arms go over your head, which is causing you to wheelie out and pull you over your toes on landing.

You need much more heel edge at the wake (show the folks in the boat the base graphics of your board) and work to keep your elbows pinned to your side so your body will barrel roll around the handle.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice on the backroll. I pulled my elbows to my hips and I got it on the 2nd try this weekend. I also landed some more tantrums. Pretty good for just a couple sets on a Sunday funday. Critiques on the tantrum and backroll?

http://youtu.be/owZOWnv74S0

tnbrooks01
06-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the advice on the backroll. I pulled my elbows to my hips and I got it on the 2nd try this weekend. I also landed some more tantrums. Pretty good for just a couple sets on a Sunday funday. Critiques on the tantrum and backroll?

http://youtu.be/owZOWnv74S0

So stoked for you, that is awesome! Now you just need to tweak them to make them look steezy.

With any wake jump there are 2 variables that are in play.
Speed- the side to side motion
Pop- the up and down motion

The object is to find the right combo of both to make the tricks look the best. Looking at your tantrum and backroll it looks like you use lots of speed and less pop to do the tricks. This is fine if that is as far as you want to take those base tricks. If you want to learn variations you will need to change to getting much more pop and using much less speed.

To tweak your tantrum try the following:
Lock your left elbow to your hip on takeoff- same principle as on the back roll so your body does a barrell roll around the handle.
On takeoff get more on your toes- If standing straight up is 90degrees, try to lean on your toes at 80degrees. This will help force you to wait on the trip of the tantrum.
In the video it looks like you are turning your head to you right shoulder. Doing this kills the pop and causes you to go off axis.
The tantrum should be a straight up and down pop back flip- when you get tripped arch your back Look straight up do not turn your head and let yourself go off axis.

To keep tweaking the backroll:
Your (barrel roll) rotation around the handle looked good!
Try not to bend at the waist. Doing so is letting your board go a little flat killing the pop.

Side note: what is your speed/length and hows the boat weighted in the video?

Great Job! You're killin it.

bhowell
06-25-2012, 11:44 PM
So stoked for you, that is awesome! Now you just need to tweak them to make them look steezy.

With any wake jump there are 2 variables that are in play.
Speed- the side to side motion
Pop- the up and down motion

The object is to find the right combo of both to make the tricks look the best. Looking at your tantrum and backroll it looks like you use lots of speed and less pop to do the tricks. This is fine if that is as far as you want to take those base tricks. If you want to learn variations you will need to change to getting much more pop and using much less speed.

To tweak your tantrum try the following:
Lock your left elbow to your hip on takeoff- same principle as on the back roll so your body does a barrell roll around the handle.
On takeoff get more on your toes- If standing straight up is 90degrees, try to lean on your toes at 80degrees. This will help force you to wait on the trip of the tantrum.
In the video it looks like you are turning your head to you right shoulder. Doing this kills the pop and causes you to go off axis.
The tantrum should be a straight up and down pop back flip- when you get tripped arch your back Look straight up do not turn your head and let yourself go off axis.

To keep tweaking the backroll:
Your (barrel roll) rotation around the handle looked good!
Try not to bend at the waist. Doing so is letting your board go a little flat killing the pop.

Side note: what is your speed/length and hows the boat weighted in the video?

Great Job! You're killin it.

Thanks for all the advice. It's really helping me. That was my first attempt after your advice last time on the back roll. I'll work on getting these tricks with less speed and more pop like you mentioned. I think I need to hold the edge more on the backroll and pop more off the toes on the tantrum. I totally understand your advice on looking straight up on the tantrum rather than over the shoulder (seems like it would have messed me up more than it seems to).

I was riding at 65 feet on an 07 LSV with the GI (I only have the center bag) and 7 passengers at 21.5 MPH.

rdlangston13
06-26-2012, 08:18 AM
7 passengers? you had a full boat!!! ok so I just ordered The Book. time to start really learning and progressing

tnbrooks01
06-26-2012, 12:15 PM
7 passengers? you had a full boat!!! ok so I just ordered The Book. time to start really learning and progressing

You won't be disappointed. The Book is a great series.

chawk610
06-27-2012, 08:03 AM
I am gonna take this down SEVERAL notches. Thanks to a friend lending me "The Book", after watching the first disk I was able to switch foot! (For me a big deal as up to now I have only ridden behind the boat ski style)! Will be going back out Thursday evening to work on that some more and start working on "good" edging. :)
Ok, yall can go back to talking about crazy tricks!

dusty2221
06-27-2012, 08:16 AM
Awesome chawk! I am also watching the book now and hoping I can apply what I learn.

chawk610
06-27-2012, 08:48 AM
I am sure you will... you prolly started on disk 4 :)

bhowell
06-27-2012, 09:28 AM
I've never seen it but I'm sure I'll find a way to take advantage of David's copy! :cool:

bzubke1
06-27-2012, 11:19 AM
I have it, it's a great series, I think it's best in conjunction with video of yourself doing the tricks so you can slow it down and pick apart what you're doing wrong. Without video you're really just trying to remember what you're doing wrong. Even with someone watching in the boat everything happens so fast it's hard to watch everything you are doing all at once.

bhowell
06-27-2012, 11:22 AM
I have been watching the videos I have frame by frame with VLC. Under the advanced play options you can have it go one frame at a time allowing you to dissect what you did.

KSmith
06-27-2012, 12:30 PM
I am gonna take this down SEVERAL notches. Thanks to a friend lending me "The Book", after watching the first disk I was able to switch foot! (For me a big deal as up to now I have only ridden behind the boat ski style)! Will be going back out Thursday evening to work on that some more and start working on "good" edging. :)
Ok, yall can go back to talking about crazy tricks!

I'm with you! There was a guy out the other night catching big air and tossing inverts like it was nothing... made me sick the little punk azz... oh sorry... lost my train of thought... what was the question again?

hans
08-28-2012, 08:13 PM
I got the "Book" and I m working on the backroll. This weekend I ve been ejected from my two boots for the first time...here s a link of my backroll crash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mdwltaJhos

Usually i m always falling on my ass at the end of the trick.....

bhowell
08-28-2012, 08:20 PM
I got the "Book" and I m working on the backroll. This weekend I ve been ejected from my two boots for the first time...here s a link of my backroll crash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mdwltaJhos

Usually i m always falling on my ass at the end of the trick.....

Pop and then throw the hips. It seems you are leveling off the board and loosing your pop be trying to initiate the roll too soon. You also need to keep your elbows at your hips during the trick to keep yourself from being pulled forward. Just cruise in at a reasonable rate, pull your elbows to your hips, pop, then initiate the roll by looking and pushing your hip to the inside.

hans
08-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Pop and then throw the hips. It seems you are leveling off the board and loosing your pop be trying to initiate the roll too soon. You also need to keep your elbows at your hips during the trick to keep yourself from being pulled forward. Just cruise in at a reasonable rate, pull your elbows to your hips, pop, then initiate the roll by looking and pushing your hip to the inside.

As my english is not very good I need some details

When you say: you are leveling off the board ....do you mean that I put my board too flat before I hit the wake?

When you say:then initiate the roll by looking and pushing your hip to the inside.......What do you mean by inside? Now I TRY to put my ear to my right shoulder and look over my left shoulder...is it good?

and should I come to the wake slower and cut harder when I m near the wake and I hit it? I think I m maybe too fast but I m afraid to don t clear the wake.

Thanks for your help......I have to admit that I skipped the "one wake backroll" in "the book". I will probably have to get back........

tnbrooks01
08-29-2012, 11:08 AM
The backroll is a progressive edge trick meaning that you need to continue to build edge through the wake.

If your board is going flat in the trough causing you to lose momentum and rope tension. I recommend a much shorter approach thus forcing you to keep on edge all the way through the wake.

This is how I teach a backroll if going to skip the 1 wake low impact approach.

Slow the boat down and shorten the line. Try 18mph and 55ft.

Start with short approach BIG poppy wake to wake jumps. Total line tension jumps.

Then when you get those big and landing in flats start the backroll approaches.

Edge out just past the spray from the wake, make a nice slow transition to edge in, continue to build edge all the way through the wake, keep elbows pinned to hips, weight about 50/50 on feet, ride all the way up the wake looking up and over lead shoulder, when you leave the wake you want to simulate a barrell roll around the handle.

Do not try to hold on to the handle the first few attempts try to learn the rotation and landing first. Once you learn those and are solid landing clean without the handle then start trying to hold and make small adjustments as needed.

hans
08-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks I hope I will have the time to try this before the summer is over.......
Now I ride at 22 mph at 65 feet so I think if I slow down to 18 I will have to let the ballast empty

I have tried to ride one time at 18 mph before......but at 65 feet the wake was very steep so I went high but landed on the top of the other wake.....at 55 feet it should be good.

A shorter approaches will probably help me to have always the same postion and the same speed......and not but my board flat before the pop....

kaneboats
09-21-2012, 08:42 AM
Today I'm working on that trick where you leave work at 12 and head out to the pasture to chase the little white ball around-- maybe water a few trees with barley infused liquid. Have a great afternoon everybody!

kaneboats
09-21-2012, 10:04 PM
Update for all of you who were stuck at work. We had a great round but my two friends who are 64 and 71 just about kicked our butts. The guy who is 68 lost his job this morning and was extremely grateful that I had scheduled a golf afternoon or he would have been sulking all afternoon. The 71 guy was killing drives down the middle. I started out rusty as hell since I haven't picked up a club since May. By the time I found some rhythm I was getting a little light headed from the spirits. Anyway. I managed to par the last 3 holes to shoot a respectable score for me. What a great afternoon.