PDA

View Full Version : bought my first moomba

ULMboarder
05-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Hey everyone, I'm a new moomba owner and also a boardshop owner at new moomba dealership. being a year out of college I've always owned budget boat like an old 89 mastercraft tristar that i brought back to life. But this year i started looking for an upgrade. I came across a 2007 Outback V that was going thru sheriffs sale in a little town north of me. They asked me to come do one of the appraisals on it. After I saw how good of shape it was in, I decided this was probably my chance. They started the bidding low and I stole the boat for almost half of what its valued. It looked terrible when I bought it due to the fact it had been sitting outside for almost 2 months in the wettest part of the year in LA. This was the day I picked it up.

Ive since cleaned the hell out of it. Ive noticed it only has 3 minor minor tears in the seats. There is a spot on the floor right in front of the back seat where the carpet has com unglued. Its not ripped but its just loose. I changed the oil in the engine and transmission, drained the gas, replaced the spark plugs, oil filter and installed a inline water/fuel seperator. It cranked on the first try and later that night we took her to the river on its maiden voyage and crossed the 100 hour mark while we were out there.

Ive sinced removed the outback V sticker below the windshield on both sides, added a wetsounds, pro 485 and a pair of pro 60s to the tower. I have an phoenix gold 300w amp in there powering them but its way to small but you can still clearly hear them while riding. We also took an old treo amp from my last boat and its powering the 4 inboats in the back. I have a buddy that does really excellent custom work in audio, lighting, and upholsterlry. He has a complete plan for the boat that is costing me next to nuthing as long as I keep bringing him cases of abita strawberry beer. The plan includes a 1200w phoenix gold amp for the towers, a 12in sub in the upfire postion under the drivers console, replacing all of the inboat speakers with phoenix gold 6.5s, dual battery setup with an isolator, LED rings on all of the towers, and LED bars over the cup holder insets and in all of the storage compartments. Plus we are toying with the idea of underwater lights.

Ive already put over 20 hours on the boat event though I've only had the boat 3 weeks tomorrow. I have a lot planned for it.

One question I do have is on the ballast. What are yall running? Im manually filling a 650 in the nose under the seats and 750s in the rear to about 500lbs along with the gravity 1 bag in the floor for wakeboarding. The wake awesome with a couple of people but its extremely steep. I really like a more rampy wake. Any ideas? I do not have a wakeplate on the boat.... yet.

Also for surfing, I had probably 7 people in the boat, the 750 on the port side filled all the way, the ski locker, and nose sacks filled. Plus i set the the 750 from the starbord side in the floor in front of the back seat running the width of the boat. The wake was MASSIVE! but it was so steep and and so hard it was extremely tough to keep the board on the wave and Im a very experienced surfer. we started moving people to the starboard side hoping to soften it up but it just got a short pocket and was still very difficult to stay on. What are yall running on these things? Im going to be ordering the surf platform from moomba here hopefully soon. wonder if that will make any difference?

Thanks in advance.

kaneboats
05-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Congrats on stealing your Moomba and joining the family! Lots of guys on here can help you with your setups for that model. I can tell you that for surfing they like some weight up front to lengthen the pocket. The wake plate will also do wonders to help you get the perfect shape for your wakeboard wake. Now let's see some pics of her all cleaned up. Also, I want to see some deals offered to owners on here when you have seconds, scratch n dents, etc.

wolfeman131
05-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Congrats & welcome!

Sounds like an awesome deal and great to see the progress you've already made.

I think I'd move the wakeplate to the top of your "To Do" list. It will help you adjust the length and shapre of your wake/wave. The only way I know to get that surf wave lengthened is to speed up. The surf platform may help a bit, but I'm not sure it alone will get you the results you want.

jpetty3023
05-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Great find. Sounds like your pretty knowledgable around boats and being in the "business" sure helps. Looks great, now like Kane said lets see some after shots of that baby all cleaned up

Sent from my home phone..

KSmith
05-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Welcome Moomba Brother! Nice deal! Deals like that never happen to me... I am always amazed when I hear stories like this... oh what would it be like... *sigh*

ULMboarder
05-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Thanks guys!

Kane, Ive already got a some smaller obrien boards I'll let go for a song and a dance. lol. they would be great beginner boards for kids. they are Obrien Clutch boards. I have 2 of them that are 132s. But I can definitely see a winter blow out for moomba owners on some gear.

As far as the boat, i had a ton of weight kinda evenly distributed across the boat on the surf side. Are you saying I need a little more in the front than the back? And yeah the trim tab and surf platform will be coming at the same time. Just gotta wait till I go back to the plant to pick it all up. Shipping would be killer on a platform.

ULMboarder
05-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Ill try to get some pics this weekend behind the truck and what not. And yeah ive been in the biz for as long as I can remember. Family owned business includes everyone. At 9 i was cleaning carbs for the mechanic to save a little time on repair work. I just dont have a lot of experience with this particular boat.

If yall need anything for your rigs give me a shout. Ill be happy to see what I can do to help yall out. Im also a Monster tower and Aerial tower dealer so I can get a lot of aftermarket things. I carry Slingshot obrien and Phase 5 gear also.

sandm
05-01-2012, 12:38 PM
congrats on the purchase.

jpetty3023
05-01-2012, 01:04 PM
I'll start ULM, I'm not shy-:). I'm
looking for a deal on surf racks. I have the rad a cage, 2 5/8 diameter I think it is on the 2009's. Wanna get 2 if price is right

jester
05-01-2012, 02:31 PM
UML welcome to the family. Now i have to ask were where you a year ago when i spent June - Augest in Ruston wishing I had my boat to be on the water. How are the lakes in your area?

Canuckle Head
05-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Thanks guys!

Kane, Ive already got a some smaller obrien boards I'll let go for a song and a dance. lol. they would be great beginner boards for kids. they are Obrien Clutch boards. I have 2 of them that are 132s. But I can definitely see a winter blow out for moomba owners on some gear.

As far as the boat, i had a ton of weight kinda evenly distributed across the boat on the surf side. Are you saying I need a little more in the front than the back? And yeah the trim tab and surf platform will be coming at the same time. Just gotta wait till I go back to the plant to pick it all up. Shipping would be killer on a platform.

My advice would be to take that additional 750 and turn it so it runs along the side of the boat that you"re surfing on. Turn your back seat so it's parallel to the side and then you'll have enough room to lay it on the seat. The more you can get that hull on it's side the better the shape of the wave. At least that's been my experience.

Good luck, congratulations and welcome to the forums!

ULMboarder
05-02-2012, 05:54 PM
I'll start ULM, I'm not shy-:). I'm
looking for a deal on surf racks. I have the rad a cage, 2 5/8 diameter I think it is on the 2009's. Wanna get 2 if price is right

Hahaha. You want aerial or monster? swivel? fixed? Quick Disconnect or not? just a surf rack or a surf/wake rack..... Aerial is pretty much out of stock on everything. Monster usually has everything.

ULMboarder
05-02-2012, 05:57 PM
UML welcome to the family. Now i have to ask were where you a year ago when i spent June - Augest in Ruston wishing I had my boat to be on the water. How are the lakes in your area?

I was at B&L Marine. and If you were here then, you missed out on one of the sickest double up comps and after parties ive ever seen at MLR in Monroe on the river. sooooo much fun. annnnnddd LA Tech has a team too with a X2 up on Darbonne. Lakes are awesome but the Ouachita River is butttterrrrrr. everywhere.

jpetty3023
05-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Hahaha. You want aerial or monster? swivel? fixed? Quick Disconnect or not? just a surf rack or a surf/wake rack..... Aerial is pretty much out of stock on everything. Monster usually has everything.

Monster is fine

Fixed is ok

Don't matter

Double surf rack an option? If not I'll take 2 combos

ULMboarder
05-04-2012, 11:07 AM
I can get you monster racks that are a quick release surf/wake combo for 215 plus shipping.

jpetty3023
05-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Can you throw up some pics brother?

ULMboarder
05-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Can you throw up some pics brother?

http://shop.monstertower.com/p-139-wakeboardsurfboard-combo-rack.aspx

ULMboarder
05-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Ive been polietely asked to refrain from promoting products... (other than moomba. sorry I aint stopping that. lol). Im just a new moomba owner who is a little excited about my new boat, and was trying to help some other owners out with some specific needs. I also was too excited to read the forum rules. :cool: Please message me if you need help getting any gear for you or your boat that your local dealer cant help you out with.

kaneboats
05-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks bro. Sorry everybody if I encouraged the new guy to start bending rules. Just wanted to see some deals going your way.

jpetty3023
05-04-2012, 02:07 PM
You were definitely his enabler Kane-:) but I followed suit pretty quick to. Guess I need a refresher in the rule books

04OUTBACK
05-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Congrats and welcome

04OUTBACK
05-04-2012, 02:47 PM
My old LSV lives close to you now.

ULMboarder
05-07-2012, 10:52 AM
My old LSV lives close to you now.

Where is it at and what color? I saw a black and grey one the river this weekend ive never seen before.