PDA

View Full Version : Seawater(raw water) pump replacement ???

kjwahl
04-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Hopefully a quick question. I just got our 07 LSV dewinterized and service left a message that: "seawater pump should be replaced before much use". I have looked over the forums briefly and think it should be fairly straight forward to get a new pump (~$300) and replace it. We took the boat a little yesterday for the first of the season and the engine temperature looked good (~180F) and stable, no towing however. I didnt notice any water leaking around the pump. I replaced the impeller just before heading out and it didnt show any disintegration. So my question what should I be looking for and/or what do you think the service person was "seeing"? I still need to call him back, but was wondering what others thoughts too.

Thanks

lsvboombox
04-30-2012, 11:47 PM
If its not leaking and not making a funny noise(bearings) you should be good. Just be prepared to shut her down if shit dont seem right.

deepcove
05-01-2012, 12:03 AM
I had to change mine when it was leaking water.....if it looks and sound fine I would be curious why this would need
to be changed on a 2007.

KSmith
05-01-2012, 07:08 AM
I had to change mine when it was leaking water.....if it looks and sound fine I would be curious why this would need
to be changed on a 2007.

Agreed ^^^^ Please call the service tech and find out what he is "seeing" and let us know so we can be on the lookout for similar symptoms on our boats. Thanks!!!

sandm
05-01-2012, 07:57 AM
service department needing to make their repair $$ quota for the month?

agree with calling up and asking why they see the need to replace. if it's not leaking and not making any noise with a new impeller, I'd leave well enough alone..

Boonejeepin
05-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Benefit of the doubt to the service shop:

Maybe they were lazy while talking and just meant the seawater impeller????

mmandley
05-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Hopefully a quick question. I just got our 07 LSV dewinterized and service left a message that: "seawater pump should be replaced before much use". I have looked over the forums briefly and think it should be fairly straight forward to get a new pump (~$300) and replace it. We took the boat a little yesterday for the first of the season and the engine temperature looked good (~180F) and stable, no towing however. I didnt notice any water leaking around the pump. I replaced the impeller just before heading out and it didnt show any disintegration. So my question what should I be looking for and/or what do you think the service person was "seeing"? I still need to call him back, but was wondering what others thoughts too.

Thanks

SE Washington in April and your getting 180 temps and not towing? Thats the problem right there. IN the middle of summer when water is 80 degrees i never see over 160 and your already seeing 180. The problem is its more then likely not pushing enough water or flowing enough if you rather. If the boat shop is saying you need a new Sea Water pump <meaning the engine water pump> i would listen to them. You can try just swaping out the impeller as well and see if thats the real issue. True i agree the engine water pump shouldnt need to be replaced on an 07 but if that boat ever saw Salt water or its in brakish water then theres no bets on longevitiy of parts.

kjwahl
05-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Quick update, I finally got a hold of service and yes he was suggesting that the impeller was needing replacement. He mentioned at idle that the engine temperature would rise a little, thinking the impeller was getting sloppy. I have replace the impeller and will keep a watch. Thanks for everyones input.