PDA

View Full Version : Steering issue

05moombalsv
04-30-2012, 06:36 PM
I dropped my boat off to the shop to see what is up with my steering. The steering pulls bad to the right, the freakin boat would do circles if you let go of the steering wheel, anyone have a clue what the problem could be?

wolfeman131
04-30-2012, 09:33 PM
I replied in the other thread, too. I think they all do this and it's due to the prop rotation and the prop wash going past the rudder. When you let go of the wheel, the prop wash pushes the rudder off center and changes the boats direction.

KSmith
05-01-2012, 07:15 AM
I replied in the other thread, too. I think they all do this and it's due to the prop rotation and the prop wash going past the rudder. When you let go of the wheel, the prop wash pushes the rudder off center and changes the boats direction.

Really?? Glad I bought the NG OBV then as my boat has zero pull. I could let go of the steering wheel at speed (I never would however) and she'd track true. Hey 05MoombaLSV let us know what you find out. It doesn't seem right to me that it would pull that hard. I've had I/O's that pull but it can usually be adjusted with a tab on the outdrive (usually Alpha I) to compensate for torque and prop wash.

wolfeman131
05-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Hmmmm . . . .

I could be misinformed, but my OBV would pull and I thought others had posted this issue in the past and the folks that had more experience and knowledge had replied with an answer similar to mine.

So, I'm interested to hear what the dealer says to! Rememeber, just because you read it on the interenet doesn't mean it's true! :)

jmvotto
05-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Hmmmm . . . .

I could be misinformed, but my OBV would pull and I thought others had posted this issue in the past and the folks that had more experience and knowledge had replied with an answer similar to mine.

So, I'm interested to hear what the dealer says to! Rememeber, just because you read it on the interenet doesn't mean it's true! :)

My obv did the same pulled to the right at moderate speeds, also depended where the wake plate was all the way up less pull all the way down more pull. my .02

yes let us know.

lsvboombox
05-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Drew is right on. Once that rudder gets loaded with thrust some boats will pull more than others. Most find this a good thing...... A boat with a perfectly tuned rudder can be harder to keep straight than one with pull.

wolfeman131
05-01-2012, 09:30 AM
I remembered that I took the pic below at the Dallas Boat Show w/ Dusty. This is the rudder on a Natique and when I asked the sales rep what it was all about, he replied that it was a "tuneable" rudder. Dusty & I were a few pops in and started laughing when he said that chit. He said there were tabs in that black area that could be used to offset the pull created by the prop wash.

Still, I'm interested in the dealer's response.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/Dallas%20Boat%20Show/2012-02-03_17-24-19_17-1.jpg

05moombalsv
05-01-2012, 07:07 PM
This is what was emailed to me by my guy at the dealer:

That is really very normal for an inboard. Malibu puts a movable tab in the rudder to allow you to counter act that. On a Moomba you would just have to grind some cup into the rudder. All boats pull with the walk of the prop unless you have twin engines with counter rotating set up or a duel prop drive. The MB Sport boats we used to sell were so bad they were really dangerous. Unless you hit something to bend it I am sure it is just how its supposed to be.

wolfeman131
05-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Does that make you feel any better?

05moombalsv
05-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Not really, to tell you the truth.

Does that make you feel any better?

usaski1
05-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Its really very simple.. boat pulling right? Don't want it to pull right? Get out a metal bastard file and get to work on the left side of the rudder. Reverse if its pulling left. Whoops! File too much? Start filing the other side of the rudder.

rdlangston13
05-01-2012, 11:14 PM
I always wondered why the natique props looked so funny

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

KSmith
05-02-2012, 07:03 AM
I guess my main thought is 05moombalsv is not new to inboards as noted in his name and signature he had an 05 LSV. If he says it is pulling way too hard to the right I think he has more than enough experience to make that call. Some pull, or tension, isn't unusual but it is my impression, and maybe I'm wrong, that he is saying it is pulling much too hard to be considered "normal". Just my 2 cents...

kaneboats
05-02-2012, 08:55 AM
FYI: A professional 3 event driver once told me they set up their inboards to pull to one side. It's supposed to be easier to hold a steady line in the slalom course or anywhere else if you have to hold against a pull. If it's set up "neutral" you are constantly fighting both ways.

Mikey
05-02-2012, 08:47 PM
I've read somewhere as well that Pro Event drivers usually custom adjust THERE own boats as well . Nuatique and Malibu definetely have tuneable rudders. As someone mentioned ,the Nautique prop looked different? They are one of the few brands with the Opposite prop rotation,to most brands on the market.

Something to keep in mind if ever driving one as it pulls to the opposite side as our Moombas and most brands.As for the Boat in question pulling ,maybe something is slightly binding inside,cable and or steering linkage ,moreso to one side thus creating PULL???

dusty2221
05-03-2012, 07:56 PM
All I know is mine goes straight when I get up and go to the back for a brew. :-)

Kidding of course.....or wait....

lsvboombox
05-03-2012, 08:15 PM
All I know is mine goes straight when I get up and go to the back for a brew. :-)

Kidding of course.....or wait....
Lol...............