PDA

View Full Version : Obrien Seige

sled - 1
04-29-2012, 10:59 PM
Got a good, no great deal on a 64" Obrien Siege for my 12 yr old. He'sw moving up from a 61" HO Judge. Here's my problem, the new ski came without an adjustable fin and no cheater wing or even the ability to mount a cheater wing. Where is the best place to get a differnet fin set up for this ski with out it costing as much as the ski?

Schnit's wants 130.00 for just a fin, I need to do better than that, especially for a 12 yr old.

BensonWdby
04-30-2012, 07:47 AM
How fast is he skiing and what is he doing in the course? I am wondering if he needs a wing or is good enough to tell the difference in fin position?

sandm
04-30-2012, 09:04 AM
not a skier, but have you checked the local shops to see if anyone has one laying around?
my buddy bought a new ski a few years ago and one of the local dealers sold him a rear fin setup with the little wings on the side for $20. they had several in a drawer.

jmvotto
04-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Bart's has some ski wings. I put a generic red one on my green obrien competitor back in the 80's

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Slalom_Water_Skis/Connelly_Performance_Foil_CN5B064/index.asp

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Slalom_Water_Skis/Connelly__Competition_Aluminum_Fin_Foil/index.asp

iwaterskihard
04-30-2012, 11:46 PM
I question the need for the wings on the fin too? At his age and the speed he is skiing I don't think he would even notice the difference? Before I spent too much money on the new ski trying to upgeade or fix it I'd make my kid ride it until he's riding it hard.

As I posted a few days ago I just bought a brand new ski two weeks ago. I got it through an HO rep and had the chance to ski it and the ski was adjusted to my ability. It's a funny thing I upgraded my model to a way better ski as well as went to a little bit shorter ski and I actually removed the fins from the ski. Got to ski it both with the fins and without on my set up day. All ski's ride differently even if from the same manufacturer as I went from one HO to another HO ski.

I preferred the ride and response of the new ski without the fins. I didn't get to ski as hard as I will in a month when I'm back in better shape.

The fins are usually set at 8 degrees and are designed to create friction based on that degree set up. The idea is designed to slow the skier down upon transition when standing up between cuts and slow you down as you enter your next cut or bouy.

I know there are some great 12 year old skiers out there but even at that age I highly see or doubt the need for them?

I'm not a pro skier by any means just a dude who likes to go hard and push his limits everyday to improve. If I start noticing I'm entering my turns too fast on my new ski once I get used to it, I may put the fins back on as I have that option.

But skiing 22 off at 34-36 mph I know I'm entering my next cut with way more speed than any young fellow is going to see until he's at least 16-18 years old and is skiing on a sponsored ski.

Let him ride it and get used to it. I bet you he gets another ski in the future before the fins are needed?

Oh ya tell him to LOVE IT AND RIDE IT HARD!!!!!!! :d

Post some pics of him enjoying it too! Need more skier's on the lakes as it seems to be a forgotten sport on the water!

skiyaker
05-01-2012, 08:57 AM
a few issues ago in Waterski mag Bob Lapoint said anything 34mph and below 15-32 off he tells students to take the wing off- that it's counterproductive for non shortline skiers. it's on my list of things to do when the water warms up a little and I can tolerate some time in the drink

sled - 1
05-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Hmmm, good points. Dakota is not your averarge 12 yr old. He's tall, way too strong, and in very very very good shape thanks to 3.5 hrs 4 days a week of very high level martial arts training. He's the strongest junior skier on the lake, but that being said I will go with the above suggestion.

FYI he skiis 28mph on my PP and is running at 28 off. Hey weighs 110lbs and is 5'4" tall.

He learned on the Judge when he was 7. Went to a 61" Andy Mapple Obrien which was traded temporarily for his judge from another boy who's dad bought it and realized it was too much ski to learn on. Dakota skiied it 2 yrs then had to trade back. He refused to ski the Judge as "it's just too slow dad". I put him on one of my old 66's with Double High Wraps and he skied it fine was just too long and heavy for him. I'm hoping this ski will work out, or it's back to the drawing board.

BensonWdby
05-01-2012, 11:14 PM
You might want to talk to Doug about this - and if necessary he could probably get you a good price on a new fin/wing. I bought a new aftermarket wing from him for real cheap a couple years ago.

I had no idea that he was hitting the course that hard. Good for him. (We are still planning a June 11-15 (or 16) trip to The Liquid Edge. Maybe we will see you there?)

For guys our size Doug has warned me away from 28 mph at 28 off - that it was too slow for that rope and may encourage bad form.
At 12 years old Dakota is in Boys 2, and his max speed is 77k(34.2m)/hr. If he likes the speed I suggest he go back to 22 and work on more boat speed. But if your OB is anything like my 99 Mobius - that 22 off bump on the bubble path can be a bummer. If he gets his speed up I bet a wing might be helpful for him - IF his body position actually puts him in a position to take advantage of it. It is my understanding that the braking effects of the wing really kick in when you have your body well centered over the ski (vs. on the tail) going into the turn.

Glad to see a young guy taking a serious look. He should look into competing. I bet he could take home some placements, maybe even qualify for regions/nationals.

iwaterskihard
05-29-2012, 03:39 PM
So Sled - what did you end up doing with your young guys ski????

WaterBullDawg1980
05-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I'd like to know as well. 8)