PDA

View Full Version : Overpriced Boats?

moomba
04-29-2012, 02:03 AM
I have been searching for a new boat and I came across this boat.

http://waco.craigslist.org/boa/2957170762.html

Is it me or does the price of this boat seem a little high? Nada came out to be much lower. I contacted the seller to see what they had to say. It a quite amusing when after I showed them the nada, they replied with "It's not an SK MODEL first off!!" Now I may not be a moomba expert (I do know my nautiques ;) ) but I seriously doubt this boat is worth $25k. Have you guys ever encountered someone asking way too much and getting offended when you try to point out the current value?

zabooda
04-29-2012, 04:04 AM
Way over priced as the NADA shows average retail around $20k. Most of the time these people will have that much owed on their loans so they are clueless in many ways. The boat won't sell and you can wait until the price drops or move on. I use the NADA all the time as a basis to determine a price on a product as both parties need to start from somewhere. You were trying to educate the person and they can be offended but when everyone points out the flaw in the price so the seller may eat the $5K needed to sell the boat. Waco may be a hot market where prices may be above market price which is similar to where I live so I go elsewhere to buy where the prices are reasonable.

you da man
04-29-2012, 04:38 AM
Way over priced as the NADA shows average retail around $20k. Most of the time these people will have that much owed on their loans so they are clueless in many ways. The boat won't sell and you can wait until the price drops or move on. I use the NADA all the time as a basis to determine a price on a product as both parties need to start from somewhere. You were trying to educate the person and they can be offended but when everyone points out the flaw in the price so the seller may eat the $5K needed to sell the boat. Waco may be a hot market where prices may be above market price which is similar to where I live so I go elsewhere to buy where the prices are reasonable.

Waco, TX is about 60 miles from me and that area has some of the worst water available to them. The only lake in Waco is polluted with urine, feces, and fertilizer runoff from the many cow dairies upstream from the the river that feeds it. The water is so bad from that lake that even local restraurants have on their menus that they have bottled watered or in-house purifiers. There are no cliffs or any features around the lake to block prevailing winds so any decent breeze will ruin the day. The Brazos River that flows through town is sketchy and narrow that most boats will not or cannot even turn around with a rider in tow. Plus, if more than 4-5 boats are pulling riders it's all blown out from rollers because it's so tight and such a short pass. That area is a bad market for a tow boat to say the least so I don't know how this seller could be asking for much more than NADA unless he/she is upside down that much...plus it's a direct drive. If I lived in Waco, Tx I would never consider a tow boat personally...it sucks that bad IMO.

moomba
04-29-2012, 05:10 AM
I actually thought the boat was worth more like $15k but i didnt tell them that, and i wasnt sure whether its an outback or Outback ls. It seems to me that ive seen moombas being asked for more than nada while brands like mastercraft and malibu are going for below nada. Dont get me wrong, ive heard good things about moomba but the other brands are ranked better.

Hoopskier
04-29-2012, 05:49 AM
To me it looks like a base model Outback. Not LS or LSV. I would say that boat is overpriced at $25k.

skiyaker
04-29-2012, 08:22 AM
I'd say 15 to 17,500

wolfeman131
04-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Don't get me wrong, ive heard good things about moomba but the other brands are ranked better.

Curious to know by whom, criteria and when this was done.

I find NADA difficult to use with boats b/c of the way they value options. I had an individual contact me about my OBV and his NADA value and mine were about $10k apart.

BensonWdby
04-29-2012, 09:54 AM
I contacted NADA directly a coulpe years ago to ask them about boat pricing as I noticed that they did not change frequently over time. They indicated that they only update boat prices about every 3 months. Not that this would account for a $5K difference in value, but something to keep in mind. I was also thinking the $15-$17K range when I looked at it. But if they have Stargazer and a high $ sound system, and heaters and a shower and ... who knows.

skiyaker
04-29-2012, 10:04 AM
only thing that really matters in pricing is whether somebody is willing to pay what your asking- but I think a quick search will show better options for much less- for example this 2001 outback LS for 16,900 looks like a good boat. There's no better negotiating tool than "no thanks I found a better option"

http://boats.oodle.com/view/2001-moomba-outback-ls-wakeboard-boat/2976218189-knoxville-tn/

or this outback in Texas

http://texas.findanyboat.com/boats/lake-ready-2003-moomba-outback.html

WaterBullDawg1980
04-29-2012, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=you da man;175927]Waco, TX is about 60 miles from me and that area has some of the worst water available to them. The only lake in Waco is polluted with urine, feces, and fertilizer runoff from the many cow dairies upstream from the the river that feeds it. The water is so bad from that lake that even local restraurants have on their menus that they have bottled watered or in-house purifiers. E]

This sounds disgusting if accurate. Gross.

Sent from my bag phone using TapaTalk

harmsway
04-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Conditions is everything when buying something used, perhaps the boat is like new condition, although it does not state that. I would have to say that an 02 outback is not worth that much and agree with the 15-17k range. My last boat was an '86 Dixie that was like brand new and when I bought the boat the NADA was only 2k and I paid 4k for it, used it for 2 years and sold it for 6500.00. So really it depends on what someone is willing to pay and if they feel the item is worth what they are paying. On the other hand I paid way less than 25k for our '08 Mobius LS and it only had 28 hours on it. Seller was selling wrong time of year and wanting to get out from under the loan they had and they were willing to loose money to do that. There loss was my win.

viking
04-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Was it carb or efi in 2002?
I have an 07 with a bunch of mods and mines probably worth about this parties asking price.
I definitely wouldn't pay anything over $16K looking at the pics alone.
But then again there are other factors as stated already. But personally - I'd pass. NEXT!

parrothd
04-29-2012, 11:26 AM
You see this all the time, I spent months researching for my boat and see this boat listed for months.. :) I paid 18K for my 2002 LSV, which is closer to season price, orginally I had it for 16K during the off season but torn my acl. It's all timing and what someone will pay but some of these ads are crazy...

parrothd
04-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Use www.searchtempest.com, great site to search all of craigslist.. :)

2003 wakeboard boat - $17500 (appling)
http://augusta.craigslist.org/boa/2979757893.html

2000 Moomba Outback LS - $14500 (League City)
http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/2977303173.html

Ironcross25
04-29-2012, 01:12 PM
I just bought an 05 outback with 300 hrs on it for 19,900. It came with pp and Bimini. It's it like new condition too. I feel I got a good deal and am very happy with it. The guys on drugs if he wants that much

moomba
04-29-2012, 06:33 PM
Curious to know by whom, criteria and when this was done.

I believe JD Power did the rankings using a variety of factors and personal opinions from owners and I Correct Craft, Mastercraft, and Malibu are always at the top of the list.

ryan_8099
04-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Don't know a ton about boat prices, but having been in the <25k range at the end of last year this seems high. We actually had someone asking about that price for a 2000 Mobius V that was very close to us, but he wouldn't budge. Ended up getting the same year model for about 9k less than that, but it had no tower, no factory ballast etc.

Nobodyrides4Free
04-29-2012, 10:09 PM
That Boat is on most of the boat for sale sites. I search them on regular basis.

Its been up for sale for a long time,The price is why !!!

ryan_8099
04-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Thought I'd add to the comparison links, here is an outback, 2 years older for 15k for sale fairly close to us in WI.

http://eauclaire.craigslist.org/boa/2983675418.html

wayne
04-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Thats way over priced!!! I paid 16.5 for my 2005 mobius LS with 125hr!! You just need to keep looking there are good deals out there!!

chawk610
04-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Agreed... dudes on crack! :) Thats not far off what we paid with 25 hr in mint condish!

NCSUmoomba
04-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Waco? More like wacko! In 2005, I paid $20k for my 2001 Outback and it had like 95 hours on it. It had a tower, racks, lights, ballast, and a nice stereo system. That price is AT LEAST $10k over what I would ever pay for that, unless the ski locker is full of money!

jpetty3023
04-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Funny you called it wacko NCSU, those of us who live in central Texas but not in waco call it wacko tx!

rdlangston13
04-30-2012, 08:27 PM
those darned baylor bears. ive been swimming in lake waco a few times and came out with no disease from farm run off...

pogofx
05-01-2012, 10:47 AM
I paid 20K for a 2006 Outback with 110 hrs and that was 2 years ago from a dealer. Bimini, ballast, stereo, and even some neon lights that flash to the music that are hidden throughout the boat (the kids like that part anyway). Definitely overpriced for that one.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk222/pogofx/Picture140.jpg

bergermaister
05-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Been watching this thread from a distance. I question pricing models as I just did a NADA Guide on my 2001 MobiusV with all the goodies.

Suggested List - $35,655
Low Retail - $23,725
Avg Retail - $27,100

Sounds good to me! Average retail is more than I paid for it 6 yrs ago. Even with upgrades no way an 11yr old boat is going to pull down that much coin...

Jet
05-01-2012, 06:32 PM
You will always see HIGH priced or over priced boats for sale. Its usually because thats what they owe on it. If you finance it for 10 yrs and then try and sell it 3 yrs down the road you havent paid the note down enought to be in line with what the market is selling them for. The dude owes is a** on it Im sure. AND! Everybody here thinks their boat is worth WAY more than any other boat. lol

ryan_8099
05-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Been watching this thread from a distance. I question pricing models as I just did a NADA Guide on my 2001 MobiusV with all the goodies.

Suggested List - $35,655
Low Retail - $23,725
Avg Retail - $27,100

Sounds good to me! Average retail is more than I paid for it 6 yrs ago. Even with upgrades no way an 11yr old boat is going to pull down that much coin...

What do you think you could get for it berg? Just curious to see what ours is "worth" now. I think much less than what we put into it.

wolfeman131
05-01-2012, 09:23 PM
You will always see HIGH priced or over priced boats for sale. Its usually because thats what they owe on it. If you finance it for 10 yrs and then try and sell it 3 yrs down the road you havent paid the note down enought to be in line with what the market is selling them for.

Ha! For boats that over $50k is financed for, some lenders are letting people stretch to 20 years! It's ridiculous how many people take this route.

bergermaister
05-02-2012, 12:38 AM
What do you think you could get for it berg? Just curious to see what ours is "worth" now. I think much less than what we put into it.

Good question. I own it outright, have put several grand into upgrades (ballast, stereo, PP, etc). Engine has been replaced and has low hours. Complete new running gear from the tranny to the prop + rudder from an underwater encounter of the worst kind a few years ago. But it's still an older boat. I'd like to say $20-25k but I may be dreaming. Suppose it would depend a lot on the buyer too and what else is on the market.

I have daydreamed about upgrading to something newer, but in the end I still really like this boat. And not having a big fat payment (aka. renting it from the bank for 20 years) doesn't hurt either.

zabooda
05-02-2012, 01:49 AM
Well, you got me looking at the NADA and my 1998 comes in at $15,725 for average retail which is $1,300 less than what I paid for it in 2002. Boat sales in my area have prices above book so theortically I could sell my boat for more than what I paid for it in 2002. It's a good boat and paid for so like a good wife, I think I will hang on to her for a while.

patrick232
05-02-2012, 08:31 AM
Yes, overpriced. I do think that used boat prices have risen over the past 3 - 4 years. This is due to the market getting smaller, less new boat made in 09,10,11 have made finding a good used boat hard. In 08 we bought our 07 Moomba XLV for $35K added docking lights and depth gauge. Ran the boat thru August of 2010 and sold if for $34,500. Not bad after putting over 140 hours on her. Current boat 2006 Moomba LSV I watched on the market starting in September of 2011 for over $30K, called a couple of times price dropped about a grand a month. Called in December of 2011 they dropped it to $28 which I thought was over priced. Owner was ready to sell at this point, I ended up paying $24,500 plus bottom paint to cover the bad bottom paint. After many hours of cleaning she might be a true $28K boat now.

bdwelle
05-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Way overpriced. We just bought a 2002 Outback LS w/ 256 hours super clean for $17k.

bdwelle
05-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Dealer also threw in about $1k of equipment.

wolfeman131
05-03-2012, 09:25 AM
super clean

Bit of an understatement from what I see in those pics. Nice grab!