PDA

View Full Version : life jackets for kids on your boat

gus 08 mobius lsv
04-28-2012, 12:18 AM
i know different states dictate different rules but in ohio boats over 20 feet don't require a life jacket for youngsters. i have 2 little ones a third due in 4 weeks and my little cousins and nieces ranging from 3-17 years old. i demand that kids wear a life jacket until they become a teenager after that i leave it up to their parents. of course they have to be a good swimmer to but at what age do you say ok no more life jacket?

bergermaister
04-28-2012, 01:38 AM
The laws can be somewhat ambiguous. WA state law says "12 years of age or younger on a vessel under 19 feet long." (http://www.parks.wa.gov/boating/faq/) Most of our wake boats are over 19ft - but you gonna let your little ones go without? NOT!

There was a big discussion on this in another similar thread and everybody was chiming in.

For me, I don't care if the law says 12 years old. If you're 15 and can't swim very well, guess what? Life jacket is on and no it doesn't matter if you look cool or not. I made my kids prove to me that they were strong swimmers before ditching the jackets around 12-13 yrs old for general riding in the boat. Bringing friends along? They gotta prove it too.

jmvotto
04-28-2012, 06:41 AM
Im with berg on this one prove you can swim well for 12 and up. NYS just implemented a law a few years ago. Between the dates of Nov 1 to may 1 all passengers in a Less than 21 ft boat, canoe, kyak etc, must WEAR a Pfd . Its a cold water law Anyone 12 or under in a boat less than 65 feet must wear one always when in motion unless inside a fully enclosed cuddy cabin, etc.

rc5695
04-30-2012, 12:08 PM
12 and under at all times. If you're 13+ and a good swimmer you don't have to wear it in the boat.

SC law is 12 and under must wear it in a boat 16' or less (or less than 16', I don't remember).

jester
04-30-2012, 06:34 PM
13 or younger or if you do not know how to swim. Some times it sucks being the bad guy but I become the bad guy for the parents since they can go "Well it is Mikes boat and his rules so you better do it or he will leave you at the car" I think I have this wrong since I should be the fun person to be around.

jpetty3023
04-30-2012, 07:17 PM
Texas states must wear USCG approved for anyone "younger than 13 in boats under 26 feet" while vessel is underway. While ashore, docked, or under anchor then life vest not required.

sandm
04-30-2012, 09:15 PM
not many kids here, but I follow rc on this one..