PDA

View Full Version : Perko switch & alternator

tdszymb
04-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Installed two new marine batteries and a perko switch. #1 for starting and #2 for the radio. The kid at the stereo shop told me if I ran the perko switch on all (charging both batteries at same time) I would burn up my alternator. Is this the case Thanks 2004 XLV

MLA
04-27-2012, 09:09 PM
No, it will not burn your alternator up. Dual battery switches have been installed on boats for years. Now we have ACR's and VSR's that combine the banks automatically with no ill effects.

Under normal conditions, the primary starting batter rarely gets depleted, so combining it with a house battery that has been beat on for 6 hours at the party cove, is no different then starting the engine on "1", then switching over to "2". The alternator sees about the same load. Now, how deep we run down the house battery and how often we do this does ask the alternator to work harder then normal though. So, over time, this can accelerate the wear on the alternator, but not burn it up.

There are exceptions to the rule, like having 12 6 volt batteries all run down and then expecting the alternator to do it things. it wont, sorry. With an average system of 1-3 amps and a typical 2 battery system, I would not worry about running in the combined mode, but I would also caution to not expect the alternator to recharge a dead house battery. Alternators do fine to keep up with normal loads and replenish whats normally used, but 2-3 amps is not "normal". Coupled with a 15 minute drive back to the slip or launch ramp, the alt will not have enough time to put back into a house battery, whats been drawn out over the course of a day. This is where an external mode of charging comes into play.

tdszymb
04-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Thanks now I can have some fun

you da man
04-28-2012, 12:01 PM
I've never had less than 3 batteries in any of my boats (1 starting, 2 stereo) and now I currently have 4 batteries (1 starting, 3 stereo) and always run my Perko on "1 + 2" (aka: "all" setting) and no ill effects. Earmark Marine did my boats installs so I go by their instructions (per David owner). When floating more than 15-20 min I'll switch my Perko to "2" which is the stereo bank. Currently using 2 onboard chargers so when I get back to my storage unit I just plug in and I'll have topped off batteries in about 5-6 hours of charge time.

Cigars n scotch
04-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Can you take a pic or share a link to an onboard charger?

wolfeman131
04-28-2012, 09:17 PM
I think this is the one the factory installed in my Mojo as part of the dual battery package.

http://www.pmariner.com/productFeature.php?ProductNum=41221

And this gives some price ranges

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=pro+mariner+prosport+20&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7356942139878429701&sa=X&ei=5JacT9yhCMTo2AWvvbmRDw&ved=0CDAQ8wIwAw

Cigars n scotch
04-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Wolf where is it located in the boat?

Thanks for the links

wolfeman131
04-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Mine is in the cubby behind the observer's seat, mounted to the amp board.

bzubke1
04-28-2012, 11:01 PM
I love having the charger. I can play music while I'm cleaning the boat and then just plug the charger in and not have to worry about the batteries being drained.

Cigars n scotch
04-29-2012, 08:13 AM
I would love to see pics of your cubbys and how it's all set up. Now I'm thinking I need one of these. Damn you!

wolfeman131
04-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Here ya go!

wolfeman131
04-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Let me know if that didnt work. Using tapatalk while on boat and wife driving, trying to wrap up break in hours. We are 65% done as of this morning.

rdlangston13
04-29-2012, 01:19 PM
id just bite the bullet and get the break in hours all done in one day.

i have 3 batteries, (two group 27 stereo and a group 24 starting) and a perko and i run the system in all mode unless im floating in which case it goes to 1 to isolate the batteries and allow me to fire the engine and move quickly without having to flip switches if it need be. I am also run a prosport promariner 20 plus 3 bank battery charge to keep them all maintained

rdlangston13
04-29-2012, 01:23 PM

i have 3 batteries, (two group 27 stereo and a group 24 starting) and a perko and i run the system in all mode unless im floating in which case it goes to 1 to isolate the batteries and allow me to fire the engine and move quickly without having to flip switches if it need be. I am also run a prosport promariner 20 plus 3 bank battery charge to keep them all maintained

bzubke1
04-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Mine is mounted to the back of the seat behind the batteries. I'll get a picture tonight.

Cigars n scotch
04-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Thanks wolf.

wolfeman131
04-29-2012, 10:25 PM

If you do it according the the manual, as I did, it's 10 hours of break in time. Easier said than done especially when you have to take into consideration the wants/needs of a wife, 3 kids and a dog.

Just you wait, Mr. Langston. Just you wait. . . But, don't worry, the joys outweigh the pain. :)

jpetty3023
04-29-2012, 10:32 PM
If you do it according the the manual, as I did, it's 10 hours of break in time. Easier said than done especially when you have to take into consideration the wants/needs of a wife, 3 kids and a dog.

Just you wait, Mr. Langston. Just you wait. . . But, don't worry, the joys outweigh the pain. :)

No doubt brother, no doubt.

kaneboats
04-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Sounds like you got' er done. That's good. We took a long ride down river to a BBQ place for lunch. Then a cruise from there down to the dam in Lake Seminole. Then all the way back up river. Spend a good chunk of the hours that day and finished up by pulling kneeboarders at the right RPM range and varying their speed. It took a while but we were so happy to be in the boat it was a great weekend. Can't believe it was a couple years ago already. Turned 133 hours on Sat.

mmandley
04-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Installed two new marine batteries and a perko switch. #1 for starting and #2 for the radio. The kid at the stereo shop told me if I ran the perko switch on all (charging both batteries at same time) I would burn up my alternator. Is this the case Thanks 2004 XLV

The kid at the shop is right to a point.

As long as both batteries are not dead then you can run them in 1+2 all the time or when ever you want.

I strongly urge you and any others that if you have Multiple batteries dead to not tell your boat to charge them at the same time. This is because the batteries when low or dead require a lot of amps to recharge, and you will cause the alternator to over work and burn out, it basically over heats its self.

Also remember that when you have multiple batteries on 1 bank and only 1 on another, and you switch to 1+2 to just equalized all the batteries, you no longer have 1 charged and 2 low, you now have 3 medium batteries.

Its much better to start your boat, then switch to your stereo bank for charging, and let the boat run on Batter 1 and not charge. Do this for about an hour, then switch to 1+2 this way you now have 3 3/4 charged batteries.

EarmarkMarine
04-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Yes, I agree that it can be true but you have to qualify the conditions as mentioned above. For example, if I had two or three completely depleted and large stereo batteries after playing the stereo agressively for a long duration at rest, I would not want to suddenly introduce these two or three batteries, a large stereo that is continuing to play plus the boat operations to the alternator. The alternator might be rated at 100 amps but only at higher rpms and for an intermittent load. So if the two or three dead batteries initially represent a total 40 or 50 amp load until they get a bit of a charge plus a 50 amp continuous stereo draw plus 20 amps of boat operations then you are running the alternator as hot as an exhaust mainifold while simultaneously pulling down the voltage on the starting battery. So under these extreme circumstances pick one...either recharge the batteries or play the stereo. If these two stereo batteries are still at 50 percent charge or better then ease up on the stereo for the first 15 to 20 minutes while underway again to allow the charging system to catch its breath so to speak.
The larger your audio system the more battery capacity you add and the more your charging system becomes dependent on AC shore charging for proper restoration, not to mention desulfation. Your batteries will thank you. Your alternator will thank you. And, you may notice a performance difference in the audio system quality and battery(s) the following weekend.

David
Earmark Marine

bzubke1
04-30-2012, 09:35 PM
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k58/bzubke1/batterycharger.jpg