PDA

View Full Version : Ballast System

stang67
06-21-2005, 05:28 PM
I have a 2003 outback ls with 2 bag bertha ballast system. The front bag hasnt been filling since march when we started boarding this season. Since i have extra bags as it is and just use a launch pad pump. I use that to fill my front bag. That is now becoming a pain. I believe the solenoid for the front bag isnt working and that is why the bag wont fill. When switched on the solenoid should make a click sound that you can feel. The rear bag's solenoid does but the front does not. With all this said i was wondering how hard it would be to put a new solenoid in. any help please

stang67
07-20-2005, 09:15 AM
Well just an update on this so if anyone else has this type of trouble. I receieved my new solenoid today and will be installing it this afternoon. I'll also test this out and let you all know how it goes.

sloppy
08-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Stang:

How difficult was it. I am looking to replace one in my rear ballast

stang67
08-12-2005, 12:44 PM
It wasnt that difficult took me about an hour. But if you back one is not working first unscrew the top part from the solenoid. Then take out the metal accutator i guess you could call it. And if there is junk in there. Clean it out. Then see if it works. Sometimes they can junk up. Once cleaned they should work again and make sure that is is screwed back on tightly. Hope that helps. It will also save you the money for a new solenoid.

sloppy
08-15-2005, 09:42 AM
Thanks Stang,

I will give it a whack and let you know the results.

sloppy
08-15-2005, 08:11 PM
Stang:

I am not sure if I have a different issue but if you have an idea or can correct my possible misdiagnosis please do so. The front ballast fill pump works fine. The rear fill pump makes a noise but will not fill. The noise is not as loud. I disconnected the rear fill pump. I could see something turning when I cut it on but once again the noise was softer. I stuck the suction portion of the pump into a container with water and there was no suction. I believe that the pump is bad. The pump is a Rule 1100 GPH 12V 6 amp. This is not the first time that my ballasts have not worked. However when they gave out before it was right after I got the boat so I had it fixed under warrenty. The rear ballast gave out again about 2 years ago but I have never gotten around to having it fixed. Now my son has grown and both of us have an interest in a bigger wake. I think I will try to replace the pump and if that does not work I will just be happy with an aftermarket fat sak.

stang67
08-16-2005, 12:52 AM
Well my first question is what type of boat do you have. I have an 03 outback. With that ballast system there are 3 differnt pumps. The one pump located directly beneth the engine. To the observer side of the engine compartment is the solenoids. This one pump FiLLS both tanks. When lets say the front bag is on fill, only the front solenoid is activated. When the rear is turned on the pump may turn on, but the solenoid may not. This is what happened for me.

The front bag and the rear tank each have their own empty pump. If you could let me know where you are looking for the pumps.

One way to check to see if you solenoids are good. Turn on the front bag (I believe the one that was working for you) WHile that is on turn the rear on. You should hear a click come from the solenoids. If there is no click your solenoid is not working. This is all asuming you have a Direct Drive boat.

I am no boat mechanic but hate taking the boat out of the water. So being stubborn i learned how to do most of this stuff myself. And by far am no expert. But i believe i can help you out.

sloppy
08-17-2005, 09:35 AM
My boat is an 01 Outback LS. I am not sure if the ballast set up is the same. I will probably e-mail Moomba or call the dealer that I bought it from. I am the same as you Stang. If I think I can fix it myself, I'll give it a whack. Besides being very expensive boat repairs equal a ton of down time. I find that when I do the work the work is better and the downtime is less. By the way, (you probably know this) you can download an Indmar Service Manual from the Indmar website. I have e-mailed them with questions on oil and they have responded.