PDA

View Full Version : Perko Switch run-down

jpetty3023
04-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Can one of you stereo guru's give me a quick run down on how the perko is suppose to work. Reason im asking is my stereo guy did the install at the end of last season when he did the towers and second battery and second amp.

I usually turn switch to 2 and let the stereo go and I have never had problems yet but the other day I forgot to turn the perko switch on and the stereo was working off the stereo and acc switch.

I thought if the perko was moved to the off position all power should be off and stereo system wouldn't power up

Sent from my iPhone's cooler than your droid utilizing Tapatalk

New Guy
04-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Was it just the head unit that powered up? If so they might have hooked that direct to keep the memory on you radio stations.

jpetty3023
04-26-2012, 09:39 AM
No sir, speakers to.

bzubke1
04-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Everything that would go to the positive of your batteries should now be going to the common stud on the switch.

bzubke1
04-26-2012, 10:03 AM
The only thing that should go to the batteries is the power wire from the switch and the grounds.

kaneboats
04-26-2012, 10:09 AM
You can set it up other ways where just your stereo runs on battery #2. But, mine is as described above. Everything on the common stud. Battery 1 runs everything and 2 is isolated. If I run #1 dead I switch to #2 and I'm good to go. I charge #1 full during the week and then switch to "both" and keep charging till both are topped up (that way I don't have to take the cover off #2 to charge it). Then I switch back to #1, test fire in the driveway, and head out for the water.

jpetty3023
04-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Yes the boat did start with the perko in the off position. That's how i noticed "I think this might not be hooked up right". Boat started, tunes Going, perko in off position I'm not sure I fully understand how it should work.

Battery 1 is the battery that came with boat and should be used to start boat only, this is what I asked the installer to do anyways.

Battery 2 was bought when I bought the perko, towers, and 2nd amp and I THOUGHT all electronics would run off of battery 2. Thus saving battery 1 for starts on the water.

Normal routine is get the boat off trailer and in the water. While wifey is parking truck I get radio going etc and switch perko to 2, again I thought this would safe guard battery 1 to ensure starts.

Sounds like perko not hooked up right or am I not fully understanding the purpose/capabilities of the perko

bzubke1
04-26-2012, 10:21 AM
I had this exact same thing happen to me. The installer left the power wire coming from the engine attached to your stock battery most likely, that's why it will start regardless of where the switch is. I assume because it's a pita he didnt put a new ring terminal on the power wire and attach it to the common stud on the switch.

jpetty3023
04-26-2012, 12:08 PM
So basically the way it sits now it's worthless?

Tell me if I'm wrong but if I have the switch set to 2 then I should only be drawing power from battery 2 while listening to stereo and battery 1 stays charged? I'm not sure if that is happening now. Also, when should I move the switch to ALL and what does that accomplish? Charge both batteries I assume

kaneboats
04-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Yes, on 1 or 2 they should be isolated. On "all" you can charge both -- or run on both but that to me defeats the purpose.

bzubke1
04-26-2012, 03:10 PM
Take a pic of your batteries if you can. This thread might be useful to you, it's from when I had the same problem.
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?13394-Engine-starts-with-Perko-switch-in-the-quot-off-quot-position.&highlight=perko

jpetty3023
04-26-2012, 06:14 PM
I'll try and get a few pics posted tonight after sons baseball practice. I read thru the link you posted B but most all of that is way over my head. I want to see what y'all suggest the fix might be once I get pics posted and then take it back to installer and have that clown set it up the right way. Of course unless your out there lurking AJ and want to help a brother out again

jpetty3023
04-30-2012, 06:05 PM
I just confirmed that with the perko switch to OFF, my system still comes on. Heres the pics, lemme know what y'all think. Want to get info from y'all so when I take it back to installer I'm armed with knowledge!!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f287/jpetty3023/6af6cddc.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f287/jpetty3023/4ca28637.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f287/jpetty3023/045af3e2.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f287/jpetty3023/903c146b.jpg

dusty2221
04-30-2012, 06:22 PM
don't be alarmed but I think a rat got in there and went crazy running those wires!

jpetty3023
04-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Dusty that's a pro install kid, no rats involved!!

dusty2221
04-30-2012, 06:46 PM
in all seriousness, we had some pretty good threads back in the winter, you should be able to pull those and check out the wiring diagrams that were discussed

wolfeman131
04-30-2012, 09:30 PM
In all seriousness, that's a hot mess in there! Did the guy charge you by the number of feet of wire he installed?

jpetty3023
04-30-2012, 10:41 PM
In all seriousness, that's a hot mess in there! Did the guy charge you by the number of feet of wire he installed?

I can't tell if your being serious or clowning now for real, like for real for real? I had this done at a stereo shop, should I demand a refund or what up. I just figured it took a lot of wire to hook up to all the diff stuff in there. I hadn't tinkered with stereo stuff since like the 10th grade when I was messing around with my pimped out S10

jmvotto
04-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Why are all short power runs in red flex loom?

wolfeman131
04-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Man, petty, I have no clue what I'm talking about when it comes to stereo stuff. Wait for one of the pros to chime in. I'm just happy to know I got your wheels spinning. :)

jpetty3023
04-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Why are all short power runs in red flex loom?

Have no idea to be honest brother. Maybe the installer did it to give it a "clean look"

bergermaister
05-01-2012, 01:39 AM
Looks like the stereo / accessory wires have looms - the main power wires do not. So you can tell which is which in the dark by feel? (there's a _______ mom joke in there just waiting)

It does look a little busy in there but could be because everything is all bunched up right next to each other?

Sent From My Tin Can Using String