PDA

View Full Version : Steering cable question 04 Mobius LSV

cake
04-17-2012, 02:21 PM
I definetely need to replace my steering cable. I understand this is part #106284 and is 18ft according to Skier's Choice.
Are there better options for ordering a new one or do I order from a Moomba dealer that exact part # and size?
Also, does the floor need to come out for sure on this model or should it just come out to save overall
time and attitude?

Thanks in advance for your help.

bergermaister
04-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Since the steering cable shares the same path as gas lines, ballast, wiring, etc. going up over the gas tank I'd recommend pulling the floor to route it. My floor is a bit different so I but I still pulled panels. Not sure if it will be totally exposed on yours so here's another tip-

You may have already read on here (or elsewhere) to tie a rope to your old cable, pull it out, use that same rope to pull the new one back through.

As for the cable itself - you should be able to verify the part number right on the cable itself after you have it out. I hunted around on-line and ended up getting one locally for close to the same price because I did not want to wait for shipping.

moombadaze
04-17-2012, 07:54 PM
[QUOTE=bergermaister;174465]You may have already read on here (or elsewhere) to tie a rope to your old cable, pull it out, use that same rope to pull the new one back through.
QUOTE]

FYI, i was not able to do this on my 03 as the steering cable was zip tied to other cables,wires and maybe even the balast hose.

pull the floor. it really is not hard at all

WolfpackRider
04-20-2012, 08:09 PM
I agree on pulling the floor. It's really not too bad (though much easier with someone to help you). Make sure you remove the screws that go in from the side that are under the seats. Also, turn the steering wheel so that the cable is fully retracted before disconnecting it. I'm pretty sure that would be turning it all the way to the left. I did not do that and was not able to make it through the last bend. I had to reassemble things enough to turn it with the wheel again and then was able to get it through the last bend closest to the driver area. This was on an '05 Mobius LSV.

cfdrews12
04-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Just to confirm from my last year experience:

1) Pull the floor. The cables are zip tied and you can do some damage to other tubing and items that also run under the floor by pulling via a rope or cable too hard.
2) Shop on-line. Once you've got the exact part number on the cable you need, there are tons of pricing differences on the net. By shopping around it i found the price varied by up to 50%.
3) Take your time. This is a great time to check on your bidge pump and other lines as well.