PDA

View Full Version : Gel coat cracks

macsfamily
06-20-2005, 07:05 PM
04 Mobius LSV - Has spider cracks in the gel coat. They are located around the fuel cap, the rear tower mount and just below the windshield. My boat is currently at the dealership for a service. I called and mentioned the cracks to the service writer and the 1st words out of his mouth were, " Do you have tower speakers?". Well, the answer is, "Yes, I have tower speakers. But, the boat has been on the water one time since installation." He replied, " Huh....well, the fiberglass shop is 1 month behind." When I finished that " conversation " I wasn't real happy, so I called the salesmanager. He said, " when you come to pick up the boat, have the cracks recorded and they can be repaired during the slower months. "

Does this sound right???

And has anyone had quality issues with the gel coat?

I have only put 50 hrs on this boat and seeing cracks in the gel coat is pretty disappointing.

macsfamily
06-22-2005, 10:47 PM
Anybody????

amonteroman
06-23-2005, 12:14 AM
I have read bulletin board posts from several other boat makers and have seen this topic raised quite often, In my opinion, not really a substandard quality issue, rather a "one of those traits that are inherent of fiberglass and gelcoat. You are fortunate that that your dealer is willing to record the issue now and address when it is more convinient for you to have the boat in the shop for a couple of days.

Hope this helps