PDA

View Full Version : Reversible pumps in cold weather

ryan_8099
04-11-2012, 10:28 AM
We were thinking of putting our boat in the water this weekend, although there is still a chance we will reach freezing temps overnight. We just had 3 reversible pumps put in the boat and were hoping to use them this weekend. What concerns should we have if the temperature drops below freezing? Should we not run the pumps until we are sure we won't hit freezing temps?

We were thinking that the engine might be ok due to the boat being in 50 degree water or so. Unfortunately we won't be there to just put a light that gives off heat to keep the engine warm when it looks like it will hit those temps.

Thanks!

KSmith
04-11-2012, 10:46 AM
How hard of a freeze are you looking at? If you thnk it will freeze hard enough for the lake to freeze I'd avoid running the pumps, if it is just a frosty one night freeze that does not freeze the lake I suspect they would be fine with the radiant heat coming off the water (even if only 50 degrees).

ryan_8099
04-11-2012, 10:56 AM
How hard of a freeze are you looking at? If you thnk it will freeze hard enough for the lake to freeze I'd avoid running the pumps, if it is just a frosty one night freeze that does not freeze the lake I suspect they would be fine with the radiant heat coming off the water (even if only 50 degrees).

Low tonight is supposed to be 26. The lake should not be freezing overnight.

KSmith
04-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Best to not tempt fate at 26. If it were me I wouldn't run the pumps, keep the water out of the lines and bags if at all possible.

DOCDRS
04-11-2012, 12:55 PM
All you have to do is put a piece of tubing in plumbing antifreeze and cycle the pump on drain to draw some into the pump and your good.

KSmith
04-11-2012, 01:36 PM
All you have to do is put a piece of tubing in plumbing antifreeze and cycle the pump on drain to draw some into the pump and your good.

Well sure if you just happen to have spare tuning, connectors and antifreeze on hand ;-)

ryan_8099
04-11-2012, 01:48 PM
It is good to think of what we might want to do in the future. Being able to drain the engine could be done much better if we had a lift to get the entire boat in the water which we hope to have eventually. The thing with the reversible pumps is a little bit disappointing as we likely can't start using them for a few weeks. Might be more work than it is worth to use them and then re winterize them about an hour later (only 2 of us were planning to ride).

We might end up just throwing the boat in, test out the perfect pass, wakeboard with no ballast and then pull the boat back out and drain the engine of water and patiently wait for guaranteed low temps above freezing to put the boat in.

mmandley
04-11-2012, 03:46 PM
I personally would do what ever makes your day on the water. Run em when your done disconnect the bags, hit the reverse on the pump for a couple seconds to make sure theres no water in there. Leave the bottom shut off valve open to allow risedule drain. Pull the block plugs and drain the block, drain your muffler, and pull the heater hose, give her a good ole blow.

Or dont put it in the water at all and not worry about it

DOCDRS
04-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Jam a piece of 1 inch braided pipe in the connector and the other end in the plumbing antifreeze jug and cycle the pump. It takes 2 minutes and $5 in parts. Whats the big deal????

moombadaze
04-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Jam a piece of 1 inch braided pipe in the connector and the other end in the plumbing antifreeze jug and cycle the pump. It takes 2 minutes and $5 in parts. Whats the big deal????

advise from the great cold north I would follow

DOCDRS
04-11-2012, 07:32 PM
advise from the great cold north I would follow, but what do I know, im in hot sunny Florida using the a/c allready

Ouch that hurt....we had snow yesterday :(

moombadaze
04-12-2012, 06:53 AM
you had snow, I've got the a/c running allready, amazing what a few hundred miles north/south will do

KSmith
04-12-2012, 07:09 AM
you had snow, I've got the a/c running allready, amazing what a few hundred miles north/south will do

Same here. I was hoping to have a spring where we could leave the AC off and the windows open... but it went straight into uncharted pollen counts and 80 degree weather. It has cooled off a bit the last few days but I still had the AC cycle on last night... I'm not complaining mind you, just making note ;-)