PDA

View Full Version : Westland boat covers?

Ironcross25
04-10-2012, 07:02 PM
I just got the one in that I ordered and after looking at it wonder if I should have shelled out the extra $$ for an evolution cover. Have any one of you guys used this Westland cover? I will be storing boat indoors for winters but summer it will spend most days outside. I will trailer with cover a few times a year to lakes that are further from my house.

Cigars n scotch
04-10-2012, 09:41 PM
These cover topics are always interesting. I've been searching around for custom cover companies and asking for suggestions for what others have used and had success with in the past, and Evolution Covers has come up quite a few times. I was interested in pulling the trigger on one until I contacted Cory and he informed me he didnt have a template for my boat, which is a Supra 21V. It seems he only creates them for Malibu's and Moomba's.

I was also told to check out skiboatcovers.com, which I did. But in the end I am going with Custom Covers (Innovative Marine Canvas) out of Salt Lake City (sewlong.com). They actually created the snap cover I got thrown in when I bought the boat. They're a bit more expensive than some of the other shops, though not more than one marine canvas shop in NJ by me, but I know the quality is top-notch and they back their work.

Do you have any pics of this Westland cover you bought?

Ironcross25
04-10-2012, 10:16 PM
I haven't took it totally out of the box yet. Just by looking and feeling I'm not to sure it would hold up. The weather sucks here now so I don't want to pull the boat out of the garage. I can't put the tower up inside so I can't fit it in there. I'll try this weekend and post pics.

Clamcakes
04-11-2012, 07:30 PM
I purchased one of the Westland covers for my LSV for the winter. Seems to work well though i didnt get the cover good and tight around the poles, so water ran right into the boat. Another problem i had was a low spot, but i fixed that with an additional pole. The key to that cover is to make sure you have no low spots for water to pool up and that you have it nice and tight around the poles. Make sure the cover is real tight so when it does rain the water will just run off the cover. If the water is left standing, it will seep thru

NCSUmoomba
04-12-2012, 08:41 AM
I have one of the Westland Exact-Fit covers. I think it fits really well for what I paid for it. Also, when I bought mine, I don't think Evolution was around. I have the "Sharkskin" one in light gray. I think it was like $300-$350. I have had my boat and cover for about 6-1/2 years. Since I have owned it, it has spent about 1/3 of its life outside/covered, 1/3 under a shed/covered, 1/3 garaged/not covered. The cover is still in pretty good shape and still works fine. It is a little grungy, and I have to clean it sometimes.

This past winter, I couldn't use my garage to store the boat it, so it sat outside under the cover, partly under some trees. I had to clean the cover with some detergent/bleach solution. And then I had to clean the boat with some degergent/bleach solution, but it cleaned right up. The cover did a good job of keeping the sun off the boat, and the sticks and twigs out of it though.

In my opinion, there are some misconceptions about boat covers out there. If a boat cover is totally sealed to the boat to prevent water from getting in, then the moisture in the boat cannot escape easily and the boat mildews and will not dry out. Of course being a boat, water will not really harm anything, but the moisture trapped under the cover can slowly corrode things like electronics. (I just ordered a new head unit for my boat, this will be number 5 since I have owned the boat)

The other issue is that I believe that sun does more damage to our boats than water. The suns rays are what fades the gelcoat and dries out the vinyl.

The only other things that a cover really does for us is to keep debris out of the boat, and it can deter theives while we are in the Mexican Restaurant stuffing our faces with burritos after a long day on the lake.

So, a boat cover is not a great substitute for parking a boat in a garage. I do find that when my boat lives outside, it gets more dirty, more quickly (even under the cover), and so I have to clean it more. For the years my boat has lived in the garage during the season, I think I washed my boat once that summer. I found that an occasional spray detailer wipe down was all it needed to make it through the entire season.

The thing I noticed this past weekend when I cleaned up my boat for the year, is that even though it was pretty dirty, that it cleaned up pretty easily. The wax finish was still in great shape where the boat was covered up, and the water just beaded right off. The only issue I have is that the gelcoat has oxidized/faded on the side of the hull that was exposed to the sun, where the cover didn't cover the boat.

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts and observations on the issue. Overall, I am happy with my Westland Exact Fit cover and would not hesitate to buy another one.

Brando86
04-12-2012, 10:10 AM
I was deciding on whether to go the route of an evo cover myself, but stumbled upon a company on ebay of all places advertising a cover for my LSV w/ the tower. After talking with them for 2 weeks I placed an order, and within one week they had made the cover, shipped it, and it was on my boat...all from across the country. The cover fits tight around the tower and has a nice snug fit overall...and also has places to put straps, but I have not needed them since it fits well already. The company was Carver Covers for future reference:).

Ironcross25
04-12-2012, 10:53 AM
thanks guys! I am going to fit it tomorrow since the weather is gonna be nice again. I would love to keep it on the garage all the time but folding tower down, removing swim plat, and folding tongue in gets old fast and still only have a few inches of clearance. ill get some pics up as well

Ironcross25
04-13-2012, 08:02 AM
I may not get picks up with the cover. i ordered the wrong cover. When i bought the boat it was listed as outback. when i got home the paperwork said ls/sk but after researching it is what I thought, a standard outback but i ordered an LS cover which is 2 inches longer than the outback. So I am trying to get them to exchange it for me.

Ironcross25
04-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Do you guys think the ls cover will fit my outback? the only difference is the length 20'5 vs 20'8. i have a feeling its going to be a pat to get the cover exchanged giving my conversation with them the other day and i still haven't heard back from them

wolfeman131
04-14-2012, 11:27 PM
I'd say it's a big maybe.

I bought a cover from a forum member that had an Outback for my Outback V thinking the same as you. What got me was the tower leg positions were different, so I passed my sweet deal on the cover along to another forum member that had the same model the cover came off of.

bergermaister
04-18-2012, 02:38 PM
Ugh - you may have just answered a question for me Drew. I stumbled across a Westland cover in my neck of the woods today that I can get dirt cheap. However I believe it's for a D-Drive, not sure it will fit my V. Hopefully the guy will let me open up the box and give it a go though.

Hey Brian - have you towed much/at all with that Westland cover on?

wolfeman131
04-18-2012, 04:18 PM
Berg, be sure to check the tower leg openings on your boat. I wouldn't fork over the cash until you did a test fit. It all worked out for me, but it could have been a big waste of coin, too.

bergermaister
04-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Yup - the seller said I can test fit it and sounds anxious to get rid of it. Now if it would just not rain for a hour or so I could drag the boat out and go have a look.

JCCannuck
04-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Hi everyone,
I just bought a 2010 Moomba LSV and love the boat. However the boat only came with the snap on cover. I'm looking for a more weatherproof mooring cover. I saw a few mentions of the Evolution cover. Does anyone have a picture or two on how this cover fits around the Rad A Cage tower?

Thanks

NCSUmoomba
04-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Berg,

I have towed with my cover on. I am personally not a big fan of doing it. Mostly because I can't see behind me. My Outback is low enough that I can see behind the boat, looking through the windshield. Also, we soak the crap out of my boat on rollers. My boat is constantly wet inside, so I need the boat open on the way home to help dry the boat out, and on the way to the lake to air it out. The only trouble I have had with it towing is where one of the straps was flapping and rubbing the gelcoat which left some black marks on it. They buffed right out though.

bergermaister
04-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Thanks Brian. I am with you for visibility - however for longer road trips when it's rainy, dusty, or I'm loaded down with camp gear I like to have the cover on - as long as it's not going to flap or rub like crazy so that's why I'm curious. The one I'm eyeballing here is a fraction of the cost of a custom one and would be better than my old tattered one for sure as long as it fits.

Ironcross25
04-21-2012, 10:16 AM
I'll have my. Correct Westland cover tues. Ill get some pIcs up of the fit.

bergermaister
04-22-2012, 01:14 AM
No Joy for me. Pulled the boat down to do a test fit and the cover was at least a foot short -even though it said right on the box was meant for a direct drive Mobius with tower - I'm guessing it was more suitable for an Outback.

wolfeman131
04-22-2012, 09:15 AM
That stinks, berg.

jpetty3023
04-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Hate it when those sweet deals pass by. Specially when ya invest a little time and money into it and can't quit deal the deal

Sent from my android eating iPhone using Tapatalk

NCSUmoomba
04-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Berg,

Your Mobius V and a Mobius are two completely different boats. The DD "Mobius" in 2001 was basically an Outback with different decals (20.5'). I think there was a Mobius LS & LSV that was 21.5'. the Mobius V, like you have was the hoss, the 23 footer, basically what the XLV is today. So I'm not surprised it didn't fit. That is a bummer, though. Maybe something else witll turn up.

bergermaister
04-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Thanks Brian - I had no idea but it was worth a shot. Felt good to get out and blow the dust (pollen) off anyway. Plan B is a custom cover to the tune of around $800. I may see if the guy will do a package deal on a custom bimini to go with it though.

Nobodyrides4Free
04-23-2012, 07:16 PM

Berg, Here is my My Westland cover I bought last year. My boat is a Mobius V . I think I paid around $680 for it and it fits very good (Sharkskin). Tower pole holes are a pretty good fit too. I have towed but only in rain when going camping like you. I am Happy with it.

bergermaister
04-24-2012, 12:58 AM
Looks Sharp Rick - good fit. The one I looked at had 3 holes for the tower as well, but I only have two uprights so would have had an extra. I'm still wanting the kind that is "strapless" and ratchets down under the rub rail. Just need to pony up for it.

moombacraze
04-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Berg, Here is my My Westland cover I bought last year. My boat is a Mobius V . I think I paid around $680 for it and it fits very good (Sharkskin). Tower pole holes are a pretty good fit too. I have towed but only in rain when going camping like you. I am Happy with it.[/QUOTE]

The fit looks great. How do you like the black cover? Does it cook the boat any more than a grey cover would. I'm looking at getting a new cover but didn't know how hot the black would be.

New Guy
04-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Berg can you pm me the info on the that you looked at. I'm looking for one and I just have the little LSV so I'm pretty sure that would fit.

NCSUmoomba
04-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Berg,

The Westland Exact Fit Covers include straps, but they don't have to be attached. They do have a ratcheting system under the rubrail on both sides under the tower. It hides under the flap shown on Rick's pics. It will pull the cover pretty tight.

Rick must have the MOO154 cover. The MOO155 is for the 2002-2004 and covers the platform. Maybe the MOO145 fits your boat with the two post tower? Might be worth a call to Westland. They don't have their model years just right. I have to order one for a 2000 Outback. It looks like the MOO145 can be had for anywhere from $250 to $550 depending on what type of fabric.

bergermaister
04-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Yeah, they miss a few years. They have year 2000 MobV with Tower, and then jump to 2002-2004 MobV with Tower. Hello, why is my 2001 not listed?? The MOO145 for the 2000 is probably the right one. I suppose I could get off my lazy arse and call them...

So for the guys who already have these Westland - do they go completely over and pull snug under the rub rail at the stern? I've seen other covers that cover most of the back deck and have straps going down to the grab bar (above the rub rail) which I don't like as much.

Nobodyrides4Free
04-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Berg, My new cover does have the ratchet. I use the straps with it though, especially towing. My original Moomba top tied at the back with no ratchet, but it still had straps. Not sure if I would leave the straps off....Brian is correct, it hides behind the flap below the tower. I added some plastic clips from old cover to connect on each side to make it easier to open and close.

Kurt, Yes it makes the boat hot when you first uncover it. Went for the look, instead on sense. I can live with it though. My wife is pretty Hot and I live with her too.....LOL . We had several days in the 100s I regreted it. It does not take long for it to cool off though. Seats are hot in the sun anyways.

moombacraze
04-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Rick, thanks for the update, I really like the look of the black but I think I am going to go with a grey. I will post some picks when I get mine ordered!

JCCannuck
04-26-2012, 01:13 AM
I've also been doing some hunting for a good price on a Sunbrella cover for my LSV. I heard lots of good things about
Evolution Covers so I contacted them. Looks like they don't make covers for LSVs either. They produce quality covers but it doesn't sound like Cory can handle anything other that a couple configurations of Malibu.

wolfeman131
04-26-2012, 01:37 AM
What year LSV? There are a few folks on here that have evolution covers for their 2006+ model year
LSV's and love them.

moombacraze
05-12-2012, 10:32 PM
I just got my Westland Exact Fit cover. I am very impressed with the fit and quality of the cover. Here are some pictures.
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc323/kkjenkins06/P5120819.jpg
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc323/kkjenkins06/P5120820.jpg
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc323/kkjenkins06/P5120817.jpg

wolfeman131
05-12-2012, 10:39 PM
That cover looks great. I like howit comes all the way over the swim platform.

Replicant
05-12-2012, 11:02 PM
I have a Westland for my 07 OBV. Bought it on ebay for a total bargain. I like it. I like it a lot for the price ($250.00 ish). The only question is that I have yet to travel far with it. I pull my boat out for the summer and leave it outside. I keep the cover on it all summer when not in use. Once a year, I do a six hour drive to my folks for some salt water activity. Yet to do that with this cover but I suspect that it will do fine. I only get 6" of rain a year so I cannot give a good account there.

New Guy
05-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Just got my westland too. Picked it up on Ebay for $225 shipped. Fit isn't perfect but it is really close. BTW I would have no problems towing with it but I might just make up some kind of pads for under the trailer straps.
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/2005r6rider/2012-05-13095644.jpg
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/2005r6rider/2012-05-13095608.jpg

bergermaister
05-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Hey that cover looks kinda familiar! Did you end up with the one from Portland?

New Guy
05-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Yup thanks for the hook up Berg! It fits great, not perfect around the tower but definitely manageable.

vandy654
05-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Are these Westland Sharkskin covers fairly waterproof? All my covers do today is filter the water before it puddles in my boat.

Yikes Mark, I would have to order the same one as you, not a huge fan how it fits around the tower.

New Guy
05-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Yeah if Burg didn't put me on it I wouldn't have got it. My factory cover was shot so I needed something to keep the leaves, dust ect out of it.

bergermaister
05-18-2012, 06:09 PM
You know Mark - if you were to take yours in to an upholstery shop I bet they could make a few adjustments to that cover for the tower legs or any other areas pretty easily and inexpensive. I had a few rips repaired and couple sections reinforced across the back on mine a few years ago and it was like $60 out the door. Just a little time and material. If they're good someone probably wouldn't even notice it at first glance unless you were to point it out.

Ironcross25
05-19-2012, 04:15 PM
heres my westland cover.

vandy654
05-21-2012, 11:52 AM
So are these covers waterproof?

Ironcross25
05-21-2012, 02:06 PM
I haven't found that out yet. Its been in my garage and I will store indoors. It will sit out a little this summer so we will see

EricU
09-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Hey that cover looks kinda familiar! Did you end up with the one from Portland?

Could someone either post or PM me with a good source for a cover? I just had my bimini redone on my '02 LSV with the Rad-A-Cage by a guy over in Palo Alto, CA who did an awesome job on my bimini. When I asked about the interior, he shot me a $1,900 estimate!!!!!!

Thanks, Eric

parrothd
09-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Could someone either post or PM me with a good source for a cover? I just had my bimini redone on my '02 LSV with the Rad-A-Cage by a guy over in Palo Alto, CA who did an awesome job on my bimini. When I asked about the interior, he shot me a $1,900 estimate!!!!!!

Thanks, Eric

1900$ sounds like a good deal..

EricU
09-15-2012, 01:28 AM
1900$ sounds like a good deal..

That would be a good deal for a new interior, but I typo'ed earlier

$1,900 was for a cover only!

I am just looking for a cover right now and that is what I had meant to ask about

Thanks, Eric

Kidder522
09-15-2012, 11:15 AM
I purchased the Westland cover for my trip back to Manitoba, and I was extremely satisfied with it. Not only towing, but on the boat when the boat was on the trailer. Water just beads off, but be careful, if you don't have the post for the back, it will pool. The only issue I had was the Velcro would come loose around the tower in tow. Came with about 15 straps and the winches on each side. I only use 4 straps at the back, and winched it up really tight for my tow.
Richard

EricU
09-16-2012, 03:32 PM
So where are you guys getting the covers for around $250, I have an '02 and cant seem to find anything under $330. And in Northern California that $80 would pay for a days gas!!!

I want to get a cover before I have the interior redone this October.

Thanks, Eric.

bsharer
10-02-2013, 12:25 AM
I was looking for a cover and didn't really want to spend $900 on the Evolution cover. I liked what I saw with the Carver cover, but they didnt have my boat in a perfect fit cover. I saw a few pics of Westland covers on here, and on some other brand boats and figured I would give it a shot. I ordered the Sharkskin Supreme SD for $447 shipped. I wasn't really sure what to expect with the fit of the cover. I knew it wouldn't offer the looks and tightness of an Evolution cover, but it couldn't be as bad as a universal style cover. Here are some pics of the cover on my 2006 XLV with it right out of the box and without tightening the cover rope, I think it will work out nice. I don't really care for the fit of the cover around the tower legs though. Im thinking of some ways to mod or add to the cover at the tower legs to get close to a water proof seal there. Ill get some better pictures after the wrinkles and creases are out of the cover from shipping.

bergermaister
10-02-2013, 12:57 AM
That looks pretty good! I tried two different out of the box covers with crapola results before I went custom...

moombadaze
10-02-2013, 11:28 AM
. Looks like they don't make covers for LSVs either..

Im on my second Evolution's cover--both LSV's 08 and 13

Call Cory

Boonejeepin
10-02-2013, 05:42 PM
I have the same cover for my XLV. Works well but I use a few support poles.

Nothing beats the Evolution cover though.

FFEMTP933
10-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Im on my second Evolution's cover--both LSV's 08 and 13

Call Cory

I have the stuff Cory sent me to make a template for the swim platform cover on the 13 LSV. He said he could have it made and back to me in just over a week. I just have to get the template done and back to him. I will post pictures once I get it if y'all are interested in the platform cover.

Gsynclaire
12-17-2017, 02:48 PM
Have you ever heard of Savvy Boat Covers?. I know there are so many out there and getting a custom fit is hard. Try these guys. https://www.savvyboater.com/boat-covers/. Good Luck.