PDA

View Full Version : Boating with a baby?

z28ke
04-09-2012, 02:17 PM
With a new edition to my family I was hoping some of you guys had suggestions on boating with a baby. My wife and I are both experience boaters, but this is our first child and figured you guys had some do's and dont's to make it a better summer. He is 4 months old. Thanks guys

Kevin

kaneboats
04-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Bring proper diaper disposal multi-layer bags. Babies love to sleep on the boat-- the sound of the engine (especially an outboard) puts them to sleep. Find a comfortable life preserver and have baby wear it at home regularly to get used to it. Don't put baby in it the first time when you are headed out with a bunch of friends. Also, figure out what kind of little pillow or folded towel or blanket makes baby comfy while wearing life preserver in car seat (yes, bring the carrier/seat with you, it works great in the boat). Have a plan for shade.

kaneboats
04-09-2012, 02:37 PM
By the way, congratulations! Cheers to you for keeping the boat too!

bret
04-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Our son hated it last year (< 1 year old). Cried if we were out for more than 15 minutes or so. We think he really just hated the life jacket/hat/sunglasses. We are hoping this year he does better - can walk around, knows words, etc. Also - I think in the state of WI you have to be at least 6 months old before you are allowed on a boat. At least grandma can always watch him while the rest of us tear it up. :)

Lawdog
04-09-2012, 02:59 PM
We used to take an extra car seat and put it under the steering wheel (we dont have a sub or stereo system). He would sleep or play under there while either my wife or I would drive. He's a little over 1 now so it will be fun this season.

11 Outback V
04-09-2012, 04:10 PM
All of the above are good options. Also try to get him used to being in the water with and without a jacket. We got a bouncy thing that attaches to a door frame and hung it from the tower. You had to watch when you took off because the chair flew backward.
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff482/shouldihaveone/aea591d5.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff482/shouldihaveone/73debc11.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff482/shouldihaveone/4c4f6018.jpg

bergermaister
04-09-2012, 04:17 PM
That bouncy thing/swing from the tower is an awesome idea! No more holding the little bundle of joy the entire time you are out.

I'd make sure you have plenty of shade, life jacket that only floats them head-up, no booming stereo, the usual common sense stuff.

Ironcross25
04-09-2012, 05:08 PM
My son is 8 months and we will be taking him most times we go. He loves the water and doesn't seem to mind his life vest. I'm just lucky my wife gave it a go to get the boat a few weeks back. I've been begging since we lost our last boat a 2 years ago

jpetty3023
04-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Now that's a hard core, dedicated, boating family you have there 11 outback

wolfeman131
04-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Get the neoprene jacket. Car seats fit great in the walkthru to the bow.

Our son was born in Jan and we had him out on the boat at the start of the season. Keep 'em covered in sunscreen.

skiyaker
04-09-2012, 07:55 PM
for kids under 6 months old look for the physical blocker types of sunscreen- they contain zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide and typically aren't absorbed into the skin. Infants have thinner skin and a higher body surface area/weight ratio, so I worry about systemic absorption of sunscreens in young infants (<6 months). There's no evidence to show any harm from systemic absorption that I'm aware of, but there also aren't thousands of parents willing to let companies test products on their infants. You'll also have less risk of skin irritation from the zinc/titanium preps. Only down side is they rub off with friction.

z28ke
04-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the good advice! I'm going to have my wife start letting him chill around the house with his life jacket on. The bouncy seat from the tower is an awesome idea, but probably won't work with the bimini top. I think the old lady would kill me if I wakesurfed with him this season, but definitely next year! We are going to look into the sunscreen options since the stuff we use now seems to absorb.

Should I worry about the heat during the middle of the day as we get further into summer? Upper 90's and humid is common here during aug

maxpower220
04-09-2012, 09:20 PM
I wonder how children survived growing up in Texas, MS, FL, and the like when there was no air conditioning. Oh, that's right, A/C is nice but not required. Also, the lake water will always cool you off on a hot day.

wolfeman131
04-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Should I worry about the heat during the middle of the day as we get further into summer? Upper 90's and humid is common here during aug

Yes! Make sure the little one always has a bottle of juice mixed with water in addition to formula/milk. Don't let him get dehydrated while you're enjoying your suds.

moombadaze
04-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Shade, sun protection for the skin, no boomin music, refreshments and patients-some days its just not worth it.

enjoy it and getting them started early is great way to keep them involved and with you

jmvotto
04-10-2012, 07:49 AM
I would agree with the baby carrier and comfy life jacket. We took ours out within the first two weeks. Hydration and Bimini.. My wife found this natural sunscreen with the zinc oxide. Below.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=badger+sunscreen+ingredients&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=672&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1055500642044101797&sa=X&ei=XR2ET4rOAcrAgQfhu9WLAQ&ved=0CDEQ8gIwBA.

Also get those scented bags for the diapers changes, they really work .

madriding1
04-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Lily loved it from the get go. She turns one next week and is a joy to take with us.

rc5695
04-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Bring proper diaper disposal multi-layer bags. Babies love to sleep on the boat-- the sound of the engine (especially an outboard) puts them to sleep. Find a comfortable life preserver and have baby wear it at home regularly to get used to it. Don't put baby in it the first time when you are headed out with a bunch of friends. Also, figure out what kind of little pillow or folded towel or blanket makes baby comfy while wearing life preserver in car seat (yes, bring the carrier/seat with you, it works great in the boat). Have a plan for shade.
Perfect advice, just make sure you don't buckle them into said carseat... Starting my 8th child on the boat soon.

Love the hanging seat from the tower!!!

Somebody else also mentioned the sunscreen already. Best advice is to check with your pediatrician to see what he/she recommends for the childs age. i don't remember all that stuff. Just make sure you've got shade for them, regardless.

I usually start carrying them wakeboarding and surfing between 3-6 months of age. Cody, my oldest, was only a few weeks old when we hit the lake for the first time, maybe younger. Important to keep them out of a lot of wind at this age, or you'll pay for it by not sleeping for quite a while ;)

98outback
04-10-2012, 01:14 PM
We started taking our son on the boat last year and he was 5 months old. Make sure you pay a little more and get a life jacket that is going to be comfortable for the baby. We would put it on him in the house and by the time the summer came around he was fine with wearing it. Make sure the top of the zipper does not rub the babies neck. We had to check out a couple life jackets before finding the right one. Also as rc5695 stated if you decide to use a car seat do not strap the baby into it. Most of the time someone was holding my son or he was laying on the observers seat with someone sitting there and we would put towels around him. He had no problem sleeping. Make sure as someone else stated to also put the baby in the water so they are comfortable with the water. The baby will do great and you will feel more comfortable also if the baby is happy. Around 10-11am i go ahead and put up the bimini to keep him out of the sun. For the people wanting sun they can move to the back of the boat. When on the boat I don't run the radio to loud if he is on it with us. Especially the sub.

z28ke
04-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Awesome advise guys, I've been a little worried about how much fun we get to have on the boat this summer but sounds like you all didn't let the baby slow you down.

What is the best way to wakesurf with a baby? Start in the water holding them in your right arm and the rope with the left(if you ride regular) or start off the platform?

KG's Supra24
04-10-2012, 08:28 PM
What is the best way to wakesurf with a baby? Start in the water holding them in your right arm and the rope with the left(if you ride regular) or start off the platform?

It looks like I'm going to be the odd one out here and have stayed out of the convo bc of it..... I personally don't see a reason to do it. What are the pro's of doing it versus the possible things that could go wrong? Only reason I see for doing it is for a photo?

I do think you have gotten some great advice regarding shade, sunscreen, how to get them accustomed, and items to pack. You will have to accept, though, that you can't go all day everyday.

Oh, and the swing from the tower is awesome!

11 Outback V
04-10-2012, 08:30 PM
I started in the water. I don't know if I would try a platform start with a baby in my arms and people tell me I'm crazy. She seemed to love it at 6 months. But I would try whatever you are most comfortable doing.

Cigars n scotch
04-10-2012, 09:29 PM
This is a great thread to peruse since my wife and I will be taking our daughter on the boat this season, she's 7 mos. old going on 8 this month so she'll be right around 9-10 mos. once we get things going. We're really looking forward to it. We started her in swim class at 5 mos. and she really enjoyed it and loves the water so we're really hopeful she'll love the boat (we think she will and she'll be used to the sounds since my wife was on the boat a bunch last year when the baby was in utero and in her last trimester when Olivia was really getting ready to come into this world).

Now, there are obvious "compromises" that we're all going to have to accept if we want to enjoy the boat and enjoy it with our little girl. I'm putting in a new stereo system in this spring so I know that no bumpin' music when she's on the boat, so compromise numero uno. I have a Z5 cargo rack which gives a ton of shade and it's up all of the time. Both my wife and I grew up on boats from an early age so we're excited to be able to spend this time with our daughter and look forward to all of the memories we'll be making. It's good to see so many others bringing the babies along and not letting the new addition change the things they love to do. That is my wife and my mantra: we will not change what we love to do just because we have a baby.

The baby can come along and experience and enjoy most of the things we like to do. That way as she gets older she'll be used to those things and really enjoy doing them just like we do. we think that's important.

Happy boating to all!

kaneboats
04-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Well said. I've never understood selling the boat because you will have a baby. To me the kid is a reason to go buy one!

pickle311
04-11-2012, 11:23 AM
I've been taking my kid out since he was 5 months. We would bring the car seat and he was content with it. He's 4 now and absolutely loves going out on the boat. I find the big difference maker is a life vest that they are comfortable in as already stated. As long as hes comfortable, he's ready to go. If he get's tired, and he does, he will kick back and take a nap. Good sun screen is a must obviously and reapply often to be safe. The heat was never a problem for us, even here in Texas. Keep the kid hydrated and let them take a dip in the water and the heat won't bother them.

jpetty3023
04-11-2012, 12:04 PM
I have to agree with KG and hadn't chimned in. I have three kids and to be honest the pic with the infant surfing scares the bejesus out of me. Im not passing judgement by any means, it's sweet that your building those type of memories but IMO to many things can go wrong with a little one in the arms. Maybe I'm just not confident enough in my skills

rc5695
04-11-2012, 12:19 PM
That is my wife and my mantra: we will not change what we love to do just because we have a baby.

The baby can come along and experience and enjoy most of the things we like to do. That way as she gets older she'll be used to those things and really enjoy doing them just like we do. we think that's important.
Well said!

I don't know that I'd start off on a platform, but I'm not comfortable with that yet. I started deepwater with my 1 year old last summer, for wakeboarding and surfing.

I'm not out there trying new things or doing flips, just riding, getting them used to it and enjoying the ride. Of my 8 kids, only 1 doesn't much care for it, but she's nervous about everything... Pretty much the worst that can happen is you both get wet... Of course there are scenarios, but you shouldn't even get outta bed if you want to go there... ;)

z28ke
04-11-2012, 02:34 PM
I don' t think the wife will let me try it this year but the main reason would be for a picture. She has pics of her dad holding her while skiing as a kid and now that he's passed away they are special to her.

If you deepwater start wakesurfing, how do you pull yourself up the rope to catch the wave without strangling the kid?

bergermaister
04-11-2012, 02:53 PM
If you deepwater start wakesurfing, how do you pull yourself up the rope to catch the wave without strangling the kid?
Just put them down and hold em between your knees til you find the sweet spot! JK....

My take is that it is for pics only until the little guy or gal is old enough to let you know they want to go out there with you.

Boonejeepin
04-11-2012, 07:41 PM

Don't forget to give them a job to do when they can.

This pic was in the driveway. She ALWAYS has life jacket on when in the water.

Cigars n scotch
04-11-2012, 09:05 PM
thats adorable Boone

Jet
04-12-2012, 11:16 AM
My 15 yr old was on my boat by the time he was 6 mo. I have some cute pictures somewhere?? lol

viking
04-12-2012, 02:44 PM
We've taken our children out every summer. Didn't have the boat for my 6 year old until she was 2 but the other 2 (now 4 and 2) have grown up summers on the boat. When they are infants just used a comfortable life vest and had them in the car seat (unbuckled just in case). No different to them than riding in a car except rocked them to sleep alot faster :)

as they grow and get mobile ours always took a nap out of the sun at my feet while driving. Great place to stay cool and safe. They love the boat more than I do and love the water. Bimini is a must.

Have not forced them to go behind the boat on anything until they are ready. They go at their own pace and all have made it their own decision.

bret
04-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Not sure if I am hijacking the thread, but was wondering if anyone had a good youth life vest for sale? Preferably between 30-50 lbs. I found these on gander/overtons, they seem nice: http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Swimways-Sea-Squirts-White-Shark-Neoprene-Life-Vest&i=40634&aID=600H3&merchID=4006
Or if anyone has some favorite life jackets that have worked with toddlers, I'm all ears! (Tried to put an old nylon one on my 17 month old today and he wanted out of it before I even had it buckled.)

bergermaister
04-16-2012, 01:36 AM
meh - I think that shark fin would get annoying after about 2 minutes. They couldn't sit back against a seat all the way without it being in the way.

We went a little cheaper on the kids life jackets when they were really little because they'd outgrow them every year. Just got a basic non-neoprene vest and they'd wear a rash guard underneath. Good to go.

Now that they're a little older they have nicer vests and can pass them down - as long as the boy doesn't end up with hot pink or flowers he's ok wit it.

Cigars n scotch
04-16-2012, 09:41 AM
I'd be interested to know or get some recommendations for infant vests (up to 30 lbs)? I picked up a Stearns this past weekend from Walmart to try out and see if it would fit ok but it seemed really tight and constricting around her neck and chin, the rest was fine. Now granted my daughter is a little healthy chunk-o-munk (hope she never sees this post when she's older) so she's not an average size 8 mo. Old. She's 28 inches and 24 lbs.

Any of you have rec's? I wanted to buy her a LF Vest but thought itd be a waste of money since she will outgrow it so soon. I'm going to check overtons as well.

wolfeman131
04-16-2012, 09:48 AM
We've always gone with the neoprene vests and kids haven't complained from infants to 12 yrs old. Now, my 12 yr old daughter, who believes she is 21, is complaining about wearing a vest on board which, of course, creates issue with the 10 and 4 year old. We have found good priced vests at Sam's and Costco and in the evo.com outlet section.

viking
04-16-2012, 01:12 PM
we've used this vest with our youngest 2 when they were infants:
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=OBrien-Baby-Safe-Infant-Vest&i=44067&str=infant+vest&merchID=4005

patrick232
04-16-2012, 03:22 PM
I would check out Sterns jackets.
http://www.stearnsflotation.com/Kids-Life-Jackets-C26.aspx

They even have an outlet store. Bought the boys side zip jackets a couple of years ago for about half price.

rc5695
04-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Now that they're a little older they have nicer vests and can pass them down - as long as the boy doesn't end up with hot pink or flowers he's ok wit it.
That's what our situation is getting close to too. Lol. I told my wife my little red-head boy is NOT wearing a pink Barbie lifevest!!! Lol.