PDA

View Full Version : Where to look for water?

bkearney
04-09-2012, 10:08 AM
We were out this weekend, and I noticed after an hour or so of wakeboarding.. I needed to run the bilge. It ran for 20-30 seconds. I have ruled out the following:

1) Plug was in :) I did not sink
2) Bag leaks: From what I can tell, the bags are fine.
3) Obvious hose leaks.
4) Water from boarders. Although some came in, the amount in the bilge is much more that could have come in via the boarders.

i am curious know about where I can look for other causes. Things I have heard but I dont know where to look are:

A) The shaft, if I need to re-pack it how would I know/see if water is coming in?
B) Exaust: Can water come in around the tubes?
C) Where else?

Thanks in advance!

-- bk

bkearney
04-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Oh yeah, I looked at the dipstick.. and the oil looks fine as far as I can tell.

ag04blast
04-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Did you check for leaks while the motor was running? You could be sending water through a loose connection at the water pump when under pressure.

I wouldnt expect the shaft packing to leak too much, unless it is completely worn.

I am dealing with the same, I backed my boat in this weekend (never left the trailer as I am dealing with a no fuel issue) but I had some water in the bilge (could have been in the bottom of the boat and ran back when on the ramp). But I would say to check each hose, especially ballast lines as those can crack over the winter and leak when you get back in the water.

Even with that 20-30sec of bilge pump is hardly much water.

bkearney
04-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Will look.. stupid question.. the water pump is what the impeller is attached to?

ag04blast
04-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Yeah, the hoses were likely taken off as part of winterization and then reinstalled. If the connects are not on far enough or the hose clamps loose it can leak water. Or if the impeller was changed out and the gasket not installed it can leak water.

DOCDRS
04-09-2012, 11:50 AM
I would look at the shaft packing, get some one to drive the boat while you look at the shaft packing nut set. It should only drip about 3 drops per minute max. You can loosen the jam nut and tighten the collar to slow it down.

DOCDRS
04-09-2012, 11:52 AM
A) The shaft, if I need to re-pack it how would I know/see if water is coming in?

Thanks in advance!

-- bk

I assume since you ask this that you have never adjusted your shaft collar and jam nut. It is simple

bzubke1
04-09-2012, 12:22 PM
When I reconnected the the hose clamps on the impeller input and output hoses last year I got them as tight as I could with a screw driver and they still leaked. You need a wrench to get them tight enough. Also there was barely a drip at idle but under acceleration and at boarding speed it was leaking out lots of water.

DOCDRS
04-09-2012, 12:54 PM
When I reconnected the the hose clamps on the impeller input and output hoses last year I got them as tight as I could with a screw driver and they still leaked. You need a wrench to get them tight enough. Also there was barely a drip at idle but under acceleration and at boarding speed it was leaking out lots of water.

I always use a 5/16 nut driver on these clamps. If the intake isn't tight then you will be sucking air and the engine could starve for cooling water. If you pull your impeller then there is no need to disconnect these hoses every year.

bzubke1
04-09-2012, 01:01 PM
I normally just pull the impeller as well but the dealer winterized it once when it was in for repair and the temps were supposed to drop below freezing overnight.

bkearney
04-09-2012, 01:24 PM
I have not! Am I looking under the vdrive for this?

bkearney
04-09-2012, 01:26 PM
I assume since you ask this that you have never adjusted your shaft collar and jam nut. It is simple

I have not! Do I look under the vDrive for this?

moombadaze
04-09-2012, 01:34 PM
I have not! Do I look under the vDrive for this?

Yes, your prop is attatched to shaft that goes up thru the bottom of the boat-that is where the shaft packing is, but its on the inside of the hull. you can see it come thru the bottom of the boat and go into the V drive unit.

kaneboats
04-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Suggestion: Take a good look at it with the engine off so you know exactly what it looks like and where to get the best views from each side. Then have someone drive and watch it. May want to use a narrow beam flashlight to look under there. Oh, and keep your hands away when it's running.

chawk610
04-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Could it be the docking lights? I think I remember a thread on here where someone was stating that they are not sealed. Isn't some water expected after an hour running, or was this excessive?

DOCDRS
04-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Suggestion: Take a good look at it with the engine off so you know exactly what it looks like and where to get the best views from each side. Then have someone drive and watch it. May want to use a narrow beam flashlight to look under there. Oh, and keep your hands away when it's running.

This is a very good idea.

dusty2221
04-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Regarding the thread title, I'd start with looking at the lake.

:)

KSmith
04-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Regarding the thread title, I'd start with looking at the lake.

:)

LOL yeah my knee jerk smart alec response in my head was "jump out of the boat and take a look around"...

ag04blast
04-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Where do you guys get shaft packing replacement material?

And do you replace the collar over it or just the packing material?

KG's Supra24
04-11-2012, 01:39 AM
I'm not sure where you get the packing rope but for reference I just paid the local dealer 75 or 90 to have mine repacked.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

jmvotto
04-11-2012, 08:21 AM
Where do you guys get shaft packing replacement material?And do you replace the collar over it or just the packing material? http://www.skidim.com/searchprods.asphttp://www.bakesonline.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=Shaft%20packing

jmvotto
04-11-2012, 08:34 AM
http://www.skidim.com/searchprods.asphttp://www.bakesonline.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=Shaft%20packing Or bakes online.http://www.bakesonline.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=Shaft%20packing

ag04blast
04-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Or bakes online.http://www.bakesonline.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=Shaft%20packing

Thanks, how do I find out what size packing I need? 1/4? or 3/16?

bkearney
05-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks, how do I find out what size packing I need? 1/4? or 3/16?

Did you get an answer on this?

-- bk