PDA

View Full Version : National Museum of Naval Aviation

deerfield
04-08-2012, 09:04 PM
I recommend a visit to the National Museum of Naval Aviation. Located at Pensacola (FL) Naval Air Station, it offers a marvelous look at the navy’s aircraft, ships, and role in military history. The collections and displays are fantastic. Parking and admission are free. Though located inside the grounds of Pensacola NAS, the museum is open to the public. Across the street is a lighthouse, from which I took an aerial photo of the museum complex. My wife and I made a road trip to see family and got as far south as Pensacola. On the way through Biloxi I took a picture of the Hard Rock landmark sign. Did not stay there. Just thought it was unusual and took a picture. Must be fifty feet tall. Anyway, keep the museum in mind if you make a trip to the western edge of Florida’s panhandle. You will not be disappointed.

jpetty3023
04-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Nice to hear admission and parking is free. That's unheard of anymore nowadays

maxpower220
04-08-2012, 09:35 PM
I just retired from NAS and that museum is one of the best in the world. A retired Admiral took over the adminstration of it in the early 90's and has made it what it is today, awesome. All funds are donations and no tax dollars go into it. While shopping for places to do my retirement ceremony, the Museum does them for free (or about $1000 less than everywhere else).

Also, from March to Nov, the Blue Angels practice from 0830 to 0930 over the field and it is free to watch. They also do 2 airshows in Pcola (at the beach in Jul and the final one in Oct/Nov).

While it is free to get in, your tax dollars are at work, so don't feel to badly.

zabooda
04-08-2012, 11:01 PM
I went there a few times in the late 70s and early 80s and it was an excellent museum then. It had one of the Gemini or Apollo capsules there. I was stationed at Eglin AFB and often went to Rosie O'grady's for a good time.

mcdye
04-09-2012, 08:10 AM
Been there a couple of times, it is very cool place.