PDA

View Full Version : New 110 amp Alternator

Nobodyrides4Free
04-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Finally got new Altenater, 110 amp. Going in boat today. Bought at local shop in town. Could of bought on line from DB electric, theres I believe are 96 amps.
Wanted to get boat on the water this weekend but the weather is not working out. Anyone else upgrading their altenaters?

WaterBullDawg1980
04-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Definitely giving it some hard thought....

How much was the upgrade?

Nobodyrides4Free
04-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Mine cost $180, but DB electric online has them shipped for like $140. Depending on boat. Someone else on forum told me abot DB, dont remember who?
With all the Stereo and stuff we run on boats you need more charging power.
http://www.dbelectrical.com/c-7766-indmar.aspx

newty
04-09-2012, 08:52 AM
I did a 160amp 2 years ago. I love it. It definately keeps things charged on the long stretches away from an outlet. I found the install thread but all the photos are gone.
I incorporated a SurePower Isolator and a Prosport12 onboard charger with my 3 group 31 Deka batteries.

Yea its got power.

NCSUmoomba
04-09-2012, 03:39 PM
So did you guys upgrade the wiring at the same time? Will the factory wiring support that much amperage?

Nobodyrides4Free
04-09-2012, 04:04 PM
I asked my alt guy about wiring, he said it would be fine. The added amps are going to the batteries(Charging) through the battery positive and ground.
When I did my 71 Cutlass I had no issues. Put a stereo system in it. Had to replace a regulator because older vehicles had different charging system. Cutlass has had the alt in for over 10 years with no problem, wiring ok.

Think about having the lights on your car on at night, now ad your stereo, amps, heater or AC and other acc. most the power is being used.
That takes away from your Charging power to start them when you need it.
Before alt, When I first put system in the car put a new battery and it was fine for like 6 months, then it would not keep up with running system and charging.Worn down. My mechanic cousin said you need a bigger amp alt.
Put in new higher amp alt and she was good. Never had problems again. Batteries will last longer as well.