PDA

View Full Version : cruise control

tnbrooks01
04-06-2012, 11:12 PM
I'm curious if anyone knows if the perfect pass system will operate like the zero off system. I currently have the moomba cruise and looking to upgrade.

I am looking for a specific feature that the zero off does that I cant do with the factory moomba system.

Example: when teaching kids to do inverts and spins we chop the throttle on landing to assist in the rider from catching an edge and mousetrapping. Once they are stable I accelerate and cruise locks on again. This is not possible with moomba cruise and wondering if it will work on perfect pass upgrade.

Any info is appreciated

maxpower220
04-07-2012, 08:18 AM
I am looking at the PP Stargazer and ZO for my boat. Both systems will "disengage" when you pull the throttle back and should engage again once you are within your set speed range. Call tech support and they can tell you before you buy.

From my little bit of research, the ZO is an easier system to use. PP requires set up to function correctly. My problem is that ZO is slow to make a plug in system for the 08 and they say that the 09 model won't work on my boat. You probably won't have that issue.

KSmith
04-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Curious as to why you can't chop the thorttle and the accelerate again with the Moomba cruise.

murraymoomba
04-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Me too?? I do it alot with ours.

Curious as to why you can't chop the thorttle and the accelerate again with the Moomba cruise.

tnbrooks01
04-09-2012, 11:00 PM

I'm not sure, it will not accelerate after chopping the throttle. I was told that was a "safety feature". Once the throttle position gets too far out of range on the slow side the light starts to blink and it will not speed up after that.

schuylski
04-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Something sounds wrong- the light will blink as soon as the throttle is not down far enough to hold the speed the cruise was set at. But as soon as the throttle goes back up it resumes and the light stops blinking. OR at least that's the way mine works. Even when the skier falls and the boat is taken out of gear, the light keeps blinking but when we get back up and the boat is up to speed cruise takes back over.

on the other hand, if the boat gets turned off.... the dreaded "moomba cruise fake get up boat doesn't go anywhere driver doesn't know what he's doing I said hit it!".... i get fooled by it every time- never learn.

KSmith
04-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Something sounds wrong- the light will blink as soon as the throttle is not down far enough to hold the speed the cruise was set at. But as soon as the throttle goes back up it resumes and the light stops blinking. OR at least that's the way mine works. Even when the skier falls and the boat is taken out of gear, the light keeps blinking but when we get back up and the boat is up to speed cruise takes back over.

on the other hand, if the boat gets turned off.... the dreaded "moomba cruise fake get up boat doesn't go anywhere driver doesn't know what he's doing I said hit it!".... i get fooled by it every time- never learn.

Yup ^^^^ That is how mine works as well.

maxpower220
04-10-2012, 03:26 PM
My Moomba cruise will return to speed (rpm), but it takes a while to get there. For the pulling that I think he is describing, Moomba Cruise is too slow to react.

For what you are doing, hand driving is really the best tool.

usaski1
04-11-2012, 06:33 PM
I have studied zo/pp like crazy... Here's the bottom line. Although the zo system is not plug and play, it will do what your looking for. You have a LSV, so I guess running 6 Balls is not in your future. Knowing that, either zo or pp will do what you want. I just upgraded to the zbox for perfect pass, and I gotta say, its pretty similer to zo. In my 08, it need an ecm upgrade to work with zo, even though it is a dbw boat. The upgrade as atleast $1500, on top of zo, or stargazer, that didnt require upgrade. I went with stargazer, and now I have the zbox for slalom. What I dont like about either system is that is really zooms in the corners, and it overshoots the set speed on pull up. PP is very sensitive to HOW you pull a skier up, ZO doesn't care. I'd jsut get the PP system becasue it plugs right on, I think. Can anyone confirm that moombas are prewired for PP? My O8 was.

maxpower220
04-11-2012, 08:12 PM
After talking to PP on the phone last week, they have a display modual that will replace the moomba cruise box in the dash. The other components of PPSG are routed through that. So, it does just plug in.

I talked to ZO and you don't need a new ECU, but they don't have a harness adapter. The ZO unit has to be spliced into your wiring harness. I know that Jody at Inboards Only can do it. I just sent ZO a message asking them to build the adapter for an 08. We will see.

KSmith
04-11-2012, 08:29 PM
My Moomba cruise will return to speed (rpm), but it takes a while to get there. For the pulling that I think he is describing, Moomba Cruise is too slow to react.

For what you are doing, hand driving is really the best tool.

Since 2010 the Moomba Cruise is speed not rpm based. I can chop the throttle and then throw it back on and the boat will accelerate like a bat out of hell until it hits speed.

tnbrooks01
04-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Since 2010 the Moomba Cruise is speed not rpm based. I can chop the throttle and then throw it back on and the boat will accelerate like a bat out of hell until it hits speed.

I wonder if my cruise could have been wired incorrectly. Messed around with it again tonight and if the power is reduced for (my estimate) 3 seconds or more the boat will not accelerate again. If I move quickly and cut the power and accelerate before the light starts to blink it will allow me to accelerate and lock on to preset speed.

I was hoping I was just doing something wrong but I think there must be a problem.

KSmith
04-12-2012, 07:05 AM
I wonder if my cruise could have been wired incorrectly. Messed around with it again tonight and if the power is reduced for (my estimate) 3 seconds or more the boat will not accelerate again. If I move quickly and cut the power and accelerate before the light starts to blink it will allow me to accelerate and lock on to preset speed.

I was hoping I was just doing something wrong but I think there must be a problem.

Well I've never tried that with a 3 or more second pause before throttling up again unless is was a major time like going to pick up a a fallen rider.

I'll try and remember to try that this weekend if I can get out in the boat.

wolfeman131
04-12-2012, 08:58 AM
Well I've never tried that with a 3 or more second pause before throttling up again unless is was a major time like going to pick up a a fallen rider.

I'll try and remember to try that this weekend WHEN I can get out in the boat.

Capt'n - I corrected your spelling error. :)

KSmith
04-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Capt'n - I corrected your spelling error. :)

Much obliged Drew!