PDA

View Full Version : Engine Problems PLEASE HELP!!!

KJSCIBER
04-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Ok so I have a 2004 Moomba Mobius LS. I went to run my boat the other day and it started filling with water I figured maybe I didnt tighten my engine plugs so I pulled my boat back out of the water and checked all the engine plugs they were tight all hoses were hooked up. Boat never over heated. I started the boat with it attached to the trailer and noticed that water is coming out of the block from a hole that looks like it should have a plug in it. I pulled the oil dip stick and found what appears to be water in the oil. I am wondering if there are freeze plugs on the boat and if that could be the issue. I usually winterize my own boat and have never had any issues. I didnt FOG the motor this year but I did insure all the water was out of the block. I know it could be a cracked block or head gasket. what about exhaust manifold or riser? any help on where to start would be great.

Thanks in advance
Skib

newty
04-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Can you take a pic of the hole the water is coming out of? You sure there is water in the oil?

jpetty3023
04-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Man this does not sound good. Best of luck trouble shooting this issue, hope it's something simple to fix. Fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qb12
04-06-2012, 09:07 AM
where are you at in oklahoma? might be able to take a look for you.

jpetty3023
04-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Any update on this?

KJSCIBER
04-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Im in OKC stationed at Tinker. I will take a pic and post tom.

Thanks for the responses
Skib

KJSCIBER
04-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Ok here are the pics. the water is comimn out right above the freeze plug in that threaded hole? the hole looks clean like somthing used to be in it. Any ideas

mmandley
04-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Looks like its a drain plug but i cant tell with the picture upside down. Even if it was a water drain plug you shouldnt have water in your oil.

DOCDRS
04-07-2012, 09:28 PM
If water is coming out that hole then plug it! If you changed your oil and thats the colour of it then there is a problem. Also , if you are getting water in your oil the level on the dipstick will be increasing or higher. When did you last change your oil. What do you mean you usually winterize your own boat? Did you winterize it last year? Did you drain both sides of the block and did you poke a wire up thru the drain plugs to make sure no rust was blocking the drain holes. If there was a plug in that hole where did it go?

KJSCIBER
04-08-2012, 02:12 AM
Ok so I have a theory. But first can someone lookand see if the boat has a plug there. Ok so first to answer some
questions. Yes I always drain both sides I always fog my engine as well as remove my sack and make sure all ballast lines are empty. I say I usually do it because I have had Davids sports do it a time or two. They also do my oil changes and services. Now my theory. If you look in that first pic you can kinda see rust around the oil pan what if there is supposed to be a plug there and its missing. Is it possible that when myboat started filling with water it leaked into my oil pan makink it look like a cracked head or headgasket i never had any issues with it running hot or even bad
. This was even when it was leaking water into the hull. It ran smooth the whole time. It wasnt even smoking. Does this theory make sense to anyone else? Sorry for the typos im on my phone

KJSCIBER
04-08-2012, 02:30 AM
Ok one last thing and again i really am thankful for all the help. Does any one know what compression readings I should be gettting i assume if I check all cylind and they are within ten percent then all is good. Id just kinda like to know if any one has done one and if so what compression readings did they get.

DOCDRS
04-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Whoa, you must have had a lot of water in your boat. Water can also get in thru the dipstick hole. The tube is just a loose compression fit which water can easily seep between the tube and the block. Did Davids winterize your boat last year or did you and how many hours ago was the last oil change? Compression should be around 185 psi.

mmandley
04-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Ok one last thing and again i really am thankful for all the help. Does any one know what compression readings I should be gettting i assume if I check all cylind and they are within ten percent then all is good. Id just kinda like to know if any one has done one and if so what compression readings did they get.

Im going to assume you have drained the oil in the pan, im not sure how to remove water from inside your engine but water in the oil is like cancer to people. It slowly kills it. Make sure you talk to a reputable shop and ask how they get all the water out of and engine with contaminated oil.

As for the Compression test, i personally wouldnt do it untill the engine is clean of all water. A compression test is one of the hardest things on an engine, your cranking and cranking and cranking with no real oil pressure or flow. About the time you get oil pressure your stoping to change cylinders.

On to your actual question, you should see 150-220 depending on the age and type of engine you have. I cant give you an exact number as i just dont know it. LOL. You are coorect all cylinders need to be with in 10% +/- but to say my engine has 200 and yours has 160 doesnt mean my engine is good and yours isnt. It simply means mine has a higher number, the numbers are all determined by wear, compression ratio, and engine design.

NCSUmoomba
04-09-2012, 04:05 PM
I am a little confused about the first picture. The engine block drain plug is the one to the left in the picture. I am not sure what the other one that is missing is. I will try to look at my boat tonight and see if I have one there. Is is possible the wrong plug was taken out when winterizing?

KJSCIBER
04-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Brian, I took the plug on the left out when I winterized the boat. I just cant remember if I pulled the one on the right as well. I always pull the ones on the left but for some reason I think I pulled the other one I just cant remember ???

NCSUmoomba
04-11-2012, 02:01 PM
I looked at my boat yesterday and I didn't see one where yours is missing. I know that is no help, sorry!

brinker44
04-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Any update on this? I just had the same issue last night...

DOCDRS
04-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Any update on this? I just had the same issue last night...

please take a pic of where your water is coming out